Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millrose Notes

Walt Murphy’s News and Results Service

I'm a little gun-shy about making TV promises after last week's debacle in Boston, but you may get to see the finish of the men's marathon Olympic Trial race at the beginning of tomorrow's Millrose broadcast on NBC (3-4:30pm Eastern).

When Millrose organizer Skip Stolley approached Princeton coach Fred Samara about his team competing at the Millrose Games, Samara originally declined, saying he already had a tri-meet scheduled on Saturday with Penn State and Connecticut. Stolley, who is trying to bring collegiate teams back to the Garden, offered a suggestion that was too good to pass up. All three teams will run against each other (and other teams) in the 4x400 and 4x800 and will score the events as if they were part of tomorrow's meet!

Running anchor for St.Anthony's H.S. in the CHSAA 4x800 relay will be Tom Murphy, the son of Keith, who ran the 1/2-mile leg on St.Anthony's winning dmr at Penn back in the 1970s (anchored by John Gregorek), and the grandson of Tom, who won the Millrose 1/2-mile in 1959 and 1960, and who anchored the winning mile- and 2-mile relays for Manhattan College at the 1958 Millrose Games.

The Millrose shot put returns to the Garden for the first time sinced 1975. To avoid any potential "disasters", no races will be run on the track during each of the six rounds.

Re: Millrose Notes

>tomorrow's meet!

Running anchor for St.Anthony's H.S. in the CHSAA 4x800
    >relay will be Tom Murphy, the son of Keith, who ran the 1/2-mile leg on
    >St.Anthony's winning dmr at Penn back in the 1970s (anchored by John Gregorek),
    >and the grandson of Tom, who won the Millrose 1/2-mile in 1959 and 1960, and
    >who anchored the winning mile- and 2-mile relays for Manhattan College at the
    >1958 Millrose Games.

...and all these Murphys are related to you how Walt?

Comment

Re: Millrose Notes

Tom the elder is my cousin and he's the reason I got involved in the sport oh so many years ago. Still can't figure out why I didn't get any of the 1/2-miler genes that runs on that side of the family. My track buddies are probably sick of hearing about Tom, since it doesn't take much for me to start talking about him. Tom and 15 other Murphys will be at the Garden cheering on the latest Millrose hopeful, who ran a 1:57 anchor in the Millrose Trials at the Armory last month.

Comment

Working...
      X