Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Athletics International rankings, Brits get stiffed!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Athletics International rankings, Brits get stiffed!

The British version of the world rankings for 2008 came out today and our reputation for fair play has not been better exemplified for some time. May i present evidence to show that there is no-one less biased than a Brit.
    Exhibit 1 - mens TJ. Now i gather that TFN will also use indoor marks in their rankings so Idowu would expect to be a shoo-in, but in my own humble opinion his outdoor season should have guaranteed him top spot anyway. Unbeaten going into Beijing,he loses by 5cm to the year's biggest jump, and then loses one meaningless follow up before calling it a season. So anyway Evora gets the no. 1 spot because of the Oly gold and the best outdoor jump of the year...OK...
    Exhibit 2 - womens 400. Richards and Ohurogu arrive in Beijing with unbeaten seasons, Ohurogu wins the final in the fastest time of the season and Richards comes third. Ohurogu loses the WAF but her time remains fastest for 2008, she is OG champ and she suffers one loss to Richards after the Games. "AI" rank Richards ahead of Ohurogu. Sorry, but to my befuddled mind there is logic being applied to one ranking and not to the other.
    By the way, the mens 800 ranking is 1. Kaki 2. Rudisha 3. Bungei and OG silver medallist Ismail is ninth. Beat that TFN ranking committee!

Re: 2008 Athletics International rankings, Brits get stiffed

Originally posted by George Matthews
    the mens 800 ranking is . . . . 2. Rudisha!
    That's rich, given all that he DIDN'T do this year. Great talent, though.

Comment

Link to this information, please?

Comment

I really don't agree with the women's marathon rankings - Magarsa Assale Tafa second (?!). They missed out she was 5th in Boston in 2:29 as well as 3rd in Dubai 2:23 and 2nd in Berlin 2:21 so because she hasn't even won a race and didn't run in Beijing says to me that she shouldn't be that high and I think Yamauchi should have been ahead of Radcliffe, who was ranked a bit too high, IMO (I think she was behind Ndereba and Zhou).
        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Re: 2008 Athletics International rankings, Brits get stiffed

Originally posted by George Matthews
          May i present evidence to show that there is no-one less biased than a Brit.[...]Sorry, but to my befuddled mind there is logic being applied to one ranking and not to the other.
          Surely the absence of consistently applied logic indicates bias?

Comment

I agree, but applying bias against your own countrymen! I've never forgotten Paige over Coe at 800 in 1980 you know...No, I haven't...and....I never will....ever.....the memory comes back....this time every year [blub]....and now....we're doing it....to...ourselves..it's..too much.

Comment

Oh, and sorry, i cannot post a link yet because the issue is not out officially till Boxing Day and it isn't up on their website

Comment

There's a bit of a faulty premise at work here: that these are "British" rankings. Last time I looked the AI panel, if I remember correctly was three Brits, a Yank, a Slovak and a Swede.

Just as T&FN's "US" rankings have been done by 2 Americans, a Canadian, A Brit, an Italian and a Turk.

(and the similarity between the two groups' results are more striking than are the differences most of the time)

Comment

I was just looking through the discus rankings and did Yatchenko throw 67m in June? I can't say I recall seeing that result before the Olympics :?

Comment

Just out of curiosity. Would any of you put Kenji Narisako in the top 10 this year?

Comment

what is the website? Not the link to the rankings but the website in general

Comment

it's not online yet i got the merit rankings with my AW subscription on thurs but it's not out in the shops till next week

by the way tash is 6th
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Ohuruogo under RIchards is really quite ridiculous if you ask me...but otherwise, I can't say "stiffed"

I like Peter Matthews' rankings best and go with those mostly- I presume he doesn't just use the AI ones...!

Comment

I don't know how Richards is first in the 400m either. If she won the silver in Beijing or held a world-leading time, I would understand but she did neither.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                              by the way tash is 6th
                              we liked her better than that :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X