Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New USATF NatChamps! . . . ?

Qualifier for the World Youth Track & Field Championships July 8-12 in Bressanone, Italy.

To be conducted less than two weeks before the Italian meet, June 30 - July 1 in Ypsilanti, Michigan. I'm confused because the Jun. 30 - Jul. 5 USA Youth Outdoor Track & Field Championships are listed as a separate event (same place) and how will this impact the National Jr. Champs, June 24-28 in Eugene?

I don't think it will have much of an effect on JR Nationals because the Youth qualifier meet is only 16-17 year olds, and JR nationals are dominated by 18-19 year olds.

I am not sure how I feel about it being tied in with the Youth Championships or whatever that meet is called. That meet is lame and a waste of time when you already have so many other youth "championship" meets.

Comment

I don't believe the meet will be either lame or a waste of time. You've got to remember that the US. hasn't fielded the strongest teams at past World Youths, partially because the team has been done by "selection" rather than Trials, based on the previouis year. This is a particularly flawed way to work with kids of that age, where form can vary so wildly from one season to the next. And if those chosen aren't used to being in shape in July, it's exacerbated.

By having a real selection meet, you've at least got people in '09 shape sted of '08, and having it so close to Worlds you've got a better shot at a team that's ready to go.

Comment

So how is the 'selection' meet different than the YouthNatChamp meet? And I also disagree that there isn't a lot of cross-over between this meet and the Jr. Champs.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          So how is the 'selection' meet different than the YouthNatChamp meet?
          Different age limits. In the Youth Nationals next year, athletes born in 1991 (and more than half of those born in 1990) are eligible. They are not eligible for the World Youth, and so will presumably not be eligible for the WY selection meet.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
            Different age limits. In the Youth Nationals next year, athletes born in 1991 (and more than half of those born in 1990) are eligible. They are not eligible for the World Youth, and so will presumably not be eligible for the WY selection meet.
            So couldn't they just take the top finishers who are age-eligible? I'm having difficulty believing they'll be running two separate meets there.

Comment

So couldn't they just take the top finishers who are age-eligible?
              One problem with that is that the WY team will be kids born in 1992 and 1993. But in the Youth Nationals, those are in two different age divisions, so contenders for the WY team might not be competing against each other. Moreover, in some events, in the oldest division (Young Men/Women) the older kids (non-WY eligible) might constitute all or almost all of the finalists. It just doesn't work.

I'm having difficulty believing they'll be running two separate meets there.
              They'll be running two separate meets. Get over it.

Comment

But I can't! grumble....grumble...grumble...whatta way to run a railroad! :roll:

Get rid of BOTH meets and just run the USATF Jr. Olympics with their 2-year age-groups as the NatChamp AND Selection meet. Manipulate ages as necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  I don't believe the meet will be either lame or a waste of time. You've got to remember that the US. hasn't fielded the strongest teams at past World Youths, partially because the team has been done by "selection" rather than Trials, based on the previouis year. This is a particularly flawed way to work with kids of that age, where form can vary so wildly from one season to the next. And if those chosen aren't used to being in shape in July, it's exacerbated.

By having a real selection meet, you've at least got people in '09 shape sted of '08, and having it so close to Worlds you've got a better shot at a team that's ready to go.
                  Oh no, I think the selection meet is a great idea. I think the Youth National Meet should be scrapped. Too much overlap with JOs.

I have known pole vaulters who were extremely qualified to compete at World Youths and were not allowed to go because they didn't compete at the "right" meets. It's all part of a power struggle between the USATF youth program and Nike/Golden West/other summer meets.

Comment

But I can't! grumble....grumble...grumble...whatta way to run a railroad! :roll:

Get rid of BOTH meets and just run the USATF Jr. Olympics with their 2-year age-groups as the NatChamp AND Selection meet. Manipulate ages as necessary.
                    JOs are annoying for the top athletes because they have to compete at Associations and Regionals where they often have little/no competition. Expensive for parents as they have to pay to travel to 3 meets. Nike Outdoor/Golden West and the like are more appealing because the very top kids are getting financial aid to compete there.

I think JOs are great, I am not advocating getting rid of them, I just don't think they would be the best selection meet for World Youths.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                      I think JOs are great, I am not advocating getting rid of them, I just don't think they would be the best selection meet for World Youths.
                      There are easy fixes for your objections. Have an 'A' qualifying standard in addition to regional qualifying.

Comment

That would change the numbers and could create all sorts of problems.

Comment

That would change the numbers and could create all sorts of problems.
                          Are you an AmeriCAN or an AmeriCAN'T??!! There are solutions to EVERY problem! :twisted:

Comment

One of the best solutions is often to avoid creating the problems.

Comment

One of the best solutions is often to avoid creating the problems.
                              Too freakin' late! 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X