Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008’s No. 1 World Rankers

lists now posted to front page (and no, we certainly didn't agree with AI in the men's 800!).

edited to fix dumb typo

Well done for getting Yego right! That was a tricky event where many other rankings failed :wink:

Comment

I'm pleased Wanjiru got the no.1 spot in the men's marathon. Can't say I disagree with an awful lot, apart from the women's 400m.
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
        I'm pleased Wanjiru got the no.1 spot in the men's marathon.
        I'm not surprised at this. However, I find it distinctly odd that Geb's WR beat out Wanjiru's OG run in the performance of the year category. The logic in deciding the marathon rankings--that the OG race was intrinsically superior, all things considered, to the WR run--seems to have been turned on its head in the performance category, no?.

Comment

Keitany #1 in the 1500m after he fails to make the Olympics?

Why is it that, for the purposes of rankings, it's better to fail to make your Olympic team than to make it and not perform up to expectations at the big show?

Comment

Originally posted by trackhead

Why is it that, for the purposes of rankings, it's better to fail to make your Olympic team than to make it and not perform up to expectations at the big show?
            Totally agree. He did not face the challenge that all the other elites did. In the odds-making of him against the Oly field, he'd have been 10:1 at best.

Reminds me of the time Cantwell got injured half-way thru the season, didn't contend the main brunt of the Euro season and still ended up #1. No way.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by trackhead

Totally agree. He did not face the challenge that all the other elites did. In the odds-making of him against the Oly field, he'd have been 10:1 at best.

Reminds me of the time Cantwell got injured half-way thru the season, didn't contend the main brunt of the Euro season and still ended up #1. No way.
              Does Keitany's season:

3rd in African Champ Trials
              1st in African Champs
              1st in Dessau
              2nd in Bislett
              4th in Kenyan OTs
              1st in Rethimno
              7th in Heusden
              1st in Zurich (3:32.06 SB, ninth in the world)
              3rd in Lausanne
              7th in Brussels
              1st in Stuttgart

versus Kiprop's:

1st in Police Champs
              2nd in Kenyan OTs
              1st in Rome (3:31.64 PB, #3 in the world)
              2nd In Paris
              2nd in Beijing
              13th in Zurich
              8th in Brussels
              2nd in Stuttgart

Compare their two poorest placings:
              In Heusden, Keitany (3:36.17) was behind Madi, DK Komen, van Deventer, Mekhissi-Benabbad, and Webb.
              In Zurich (Zurich), Kiprop (3:36.68) was behind Keitany, Ramzi, Mansour, Kamel, Higuero, Iguider, Baala, Yego, Kemboi, Gathimba, Lancashire and DK Komen.

Comment

Keitany was 3-1 over Kiprop in head-to-head competition. Their seasonal bests were not that far apart. I can see the argument in Keitany's favor.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  Keitany was 3-1 over Kiprop in head-to-head competition. Their seasonal bests were not that far apart. I can see the argument in Keitany's favor.
                  I can't at all. Everyone is training to peak in Beijing, and losses along the way are to be expected. Some of those 'losses' were probably just marker points along the way. Any $$$ lost would be more than compensated for by an Oly medal. If Keitany HAD competed in Beijing THEN we'd know, but he didn't. This is not like a Kenyan being denied a team spot in the Steeple, but otherwise dominating the world. This is a very competitive group and his no-show must weigh heavily against him.

Comment

kiprop did look in 3'29 shape in peking

pity he didn't hold onto that form for a coupla more weeks after & end all arguments

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      I can't at all. Everyone is training to peak in Beijing, and losses along the way are to be expected. Some of those 'losses' were probably just marker points along the way.
                      None of Kiprop's losses to Keitany were just marker points along the way to Beijing. They all occurred AFTER the Olympic Games.

Comment

None of Kiprop's losses to Keitany were just marker points along the way to Beijing. They all occurred AFTER the Olympic Games.
                        the Brits argue that Ohuruogu's loss after the Games is irrelevant. I tend to agree. She had nothing left to prove and her opposition had plenty. Keitany would have been MUCH more motivated in those races.

Comment

The Brits argue that Ohuruogu's loss after the Games is irrelevant. I tend to agree. She had nothing left to prove and her opposition had plenty. Keitany would have been MUCH more motivated in those races.

Comment

It seems to me that rankers shouldn't have to get into the heads of athletes to determine their priorities. If an athlete wants to compete frequently but focus on only one event, that's fine. He or she will be happy with the medal or prize money from that one event. But rankers need to look at the entire season. Clearly some meets are more important than others. But you're ranked on the totality of what you do, giving due allowance to the importance of the various meets.

If Kiprop had stopped competing after Beijing, he surely would have outranked Keitany. But he didn't. He took the appearance money (if there was any) and the prize money that he earned after the OG. He also has to take the consequences of his post OG performances on his ranking, which must be based on what he did on the track, not what his motivations were in different events.

Comment

But rankers need to look at the entire season.
                              I'm throwing my 1.5 cents on Marlow's side here... It's distinctly odd that we effectively penalize athletes for "too much" competitive activity. An athlete puts themselves on the line (literally) with every race, with something to lose each time... And it does no good to imply that an athlete is "only" competing for the payday--since they're ALL professionals, and ALL competing for paydays... Thus, all other things being more or less equal, I'd value the good things a particular athlete does more than the less-good things (particularly in a weird year like '08). By this measure, I'd personally rank Ramzi about 8th or 10th for the year, but that's just me...

Comment

Working...
                              X