X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    None of Kiprop's losses to Keitany were just marker points along the way to Beijing. They all occurred AFTER the Olympic Games.
    The Brits argue that Ohuruogu's loss after the Games is irrelevant. I tend to agree. She had nothing left to prove and her opposition had plenty. Keitany would have been MUCH more motivated in those races.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    None of Kiprop's losses to Keitany were just marker points along the way to Beijing. They all occurred AFTER the Olympic Games.
    the Brits argue that Ohuruogu's loss after the Games is irrelevant. I tend to agree. She had nothing left to prove and her opposition had plenty. Keitany would have been MUCH more motivated in those races.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Keitany was 3-1 over Kiprop in head-to-head competition. Their seasonal bests were not that far apart. I can see the argument in Keitany's favor.
    I can't at all. Everyone is training to peak in Beijing, and losses along the way are to be expected. Some of those 'losses' were probably just marker points along the way.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    kiprop did look in 3'29 shape in peking

pity he didn't hold onto that form for a coupla more weeks after & end all arguments

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Keitany was 3-1 over Kiprop in head-to-head competition. Their seasonal bests were not that far apart. I can see the argument in Keitany's favor.
    I can't at all. Everyone is training to peak in Beijing, and losses along the way are to be expected. Some of those 'losses' were probably just marker points along the way. Any $$$ lost would be more than compensated for by an Oly medal. If Keitany HAD competed in Beijing THEN we'd know, but he didn't. This is not like a Kenyan being denied a team spot in the Steeple, but otherwise dominating the world. This is a very competitive group and his no-show must weigh heavily against him.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• trackhead
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by trackhead
    Keitany #1 in the 1500m after he fails to make the Olympics?

Why is it that, for the purposes of rankings, it's better to fail to make your Olympic team than to make it and not perform up to expectations at the big show?
    Totally agree. He did not face the challenge that all the other elites did. In the odds-making of him against the Oly field, he'd have been 10:1 at best.

Reminds me of the time Cantwell got injured half-way thru the season, didn't contend the main brunt of the Euro season and still ended up #1. No way.
    Does Keitany's season:

3rd in African Champ Trials
    1st in African Champs
    1st in Dessau
    2nd in Bislett
    4th in Kenyan OTs
    1st in Rethimno
    7th in Heusden
    1st in Zurich (3:32.06 SB, ninth in the world)
    3rd in Lausanne
    7th in Brussels
    1st in Stuttgart

versus Kiprop's:

1st in Police Champs
    2nd in Kenyan OTs
    1st in Rome (3:31.64 PB, #3 in the world)
    2nd In Paris
    2nd in Beijing
    13th in Zurich
    8th in Brussels
    2nd in Stuttgart

Compare their two poorest placings:
    In Heusden, Keitany (3:36.17) was behind Madi, DK Komen, van Deventer, Mekhissi-Benabbad, and Webb.
    In Zurich (Zurich), Kiprop (3:36.68) was behind Keitany, Ramzi, Mansour, Kamel, Higuero, Iguider, Baala, Yego, Kemboi, Gathimba, Lancashire and DK Komen.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by trackhead

Why is it that, for the purposes of rankings, it's better to fail to make your Olympic team than to make it and not perform up to expectations at the big show?
    Totally agree. He did not face the challenge that all the other elites did. In the odds-making of him against the Oly field, he'd have been 10:1 at best.

Reminds me of the time Cantwell got injured half-way thru the season, didn't contend the main brunt of the Euro season and still ended up #1. No way.

Leave a comment:

• trackhead
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by nevetsllim
    I'm pleased Wanjiru got the no.1 spot in the men's marathon.
    I'm not surprised at this. However, I find it distinctly odd that Geb's WR beat out Wanjiru's OG run in the performance of the year category. The logic in deciding the marathon rankings--that the OG race was intrinsically superior, all things considered, to the WR run--seems to have been turned on its head in the performance category, no?.

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied
    I'm pleased Wanjiru got the no.1 spot in the men's marathon. Can't say I disagree with an awful lot, apart from the women's 400m.

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied
    Well done for getting Yego right! That was a tricky event where many other rankings failed :wink:

Leave a comment:

• gh
    started a topic 2008’s No. 1 World Rankers

2008’s No. 1 World Rankers

lists now posted to front page (and no, we certainly didn't agree with AI in the men's 800!).

edited to fix dumb typo
Working...
X