Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AI isn't the Bible....... the Bible counts

Originally posted by gh
    So how do you feel about AI giving Ramzi No. 1?
    [/i]

Comment

Originally posted by donley2
      What you are describing is a situation where the rest of the season is very close to meaningless. As a fan (there is far too much of thinking like a coach or an athlete around here) I want athletes to compete as often as possible and compete against outstanding competition when they do so. Otherwise there is no SEASON. If there is no SEASON I am not sure what you call it but calling something without a SEASON a sport seems a stretch.
      I'm just describing Reality, which is that periodization is an important concept in modern track - being your best when it most counts. Many athletes would LIKE to hold a long peak; they'd earn more money that way, but even more important (financially also) is to win (place highly) at The Big Show. We as fans (and most rankers) are dealing with Wishful Thinking, that all wins are equal. They simply are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        We as fans (and most rankers) are dealing with Wishful Thinking, that all wins are equal. They simply are not.
        You are the one saying "all wins are equal," not any of us. Let's not muddy this situation anymore than it already is. The point is, in regard to the overall season, does the OG final in question represent 95%, or 75%, or 50%, or 35%, or what??, of what it is that yearly rankings measure? And the correct answer to this question is: it's a matter of individual judgment and opinion, pure and simple...

Comment

It can also vary from event to event and, within an event, from year to year.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
            It can also vary from event to event and, within an event, from year to year.
            Definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              So how do you feel about AI giving Ramzi No. 1?
              I was actually surprised that he was not.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Wow! Go to the rear of the (cyber) room...you obviously don't understand "conventional wisdom"!

Comment

Being clueless is pretty common for me ops: :wink: .
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

we shoud all be used to ramzi's "style"by now - compete sparsely & usually outperform in big meet of year

if you look at his og campaign as 3 separate races, he won it, which shoud guarantee him at least a top-5 on an ranking weightings & in semi he ran a 3'32 with a blistering burst which musta been worth ~3'28 in a properly paced gp race ( i know it was just a prelim, but it was still a race & deserves attention )

gold & in 3'28 shape at the time - that's good for top spot in any year ( hicham years excluded )

Comment

I don't think there are any "good" answers to who should rank 1-2-3.

But in Ramzi's favor was his back-up race at Zurich, where he finished 2nd to Keitany. Among the 10 ranked athletes, more were at Zurich (8) than either the Olympics or WAF (7 each).

Comment

I knew I was slipping when I perused the 1500 leaders, and I had never heard of # 1 !

Comment

How in the world can they rank Nesta Carter at #5, above Martina #6, Frater #7 and Gay #9??? He wasn't even on the Olympic team in the individual 100m, and those guys have better times than Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
                            How in the world can they rank Nesta Carter at #5, above Martina #6, Frater #7 and Gay #9??? He wasn't even on the Olympic team in the individual 100m, and those guys have better times than Carter.
                            For some reason, it's better to fail to qualify for your Olympic team than to make it and not perform up to par, as far as rankings as concerned. This is also seen in the Mens 1500m ranking.

Comment

In all fairness, Carter had a very impressive and solid season in Europe, competing a lot in strong meets (more than any other top guy actually!), always with success and good times. In a season when many top sprinters competed sparsely and lacked the solidity to back up some outlying performances (Gay of course being the extreme case, even if that was due to injury) that counts for a lot.

That being said, you can compete more solidly if you don't have to peak and prepare for a single meet, and I too put all three you named above him - but I can certainly understand it going the other way.

Comment

Carter raced Martina twice last year at 100m and beat him both times. He was 7-3 against Frater. (He didn't race Gay.)

Comment

Working...
                                X