Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trindon Holliday / ESPN / Peach Bowl - oops

During this evening's coverage of the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl (I love the sponsor's commercials, so I'll give them the full game name), ESPN gave a short clip of Holliday on the track to show that he's really fast. I'm guessing it was probably an NCAA race.

The problem was that the clip was one in which Walter Dix blew him away in the last 50, and the TV announcers thought he was the winner, not recognizing the uniform colors, or even the body types or hair styles.

Not at all surprising, but worth a chuckle.

Re: Trindon Holliday / ESPN / Peach Bowl - oops

Originally posted by cigar95
    The problem was that the clip was one in which Walter Dix blew him away in the last 50, and the TV announcers thought he was the winner, not recognizing the uniform colors, or even the body types or hair styles.
    I saw that out of the corner of my eye and was thinking the same thing, but didn't look close enough to confirm my suspicion. Dix had on the Gold uni with the garnet stripe!

Comment

Worst piece of sportscasting I have ever seen. It was painful to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Barto
        Nah, just a typical football game broadcast. Tech's performance on the field was pretty poor, and the announcing team was getting a bit silly with all the New Year's Eve stuff, but nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95
          Nah, just a typical football game broadcast. Tech's performance on the field was pretty poor, and the announcing team was getting a bit silly with all the New Year's Eve stuff, but nothing particularly out of the ordinary.
          Tell me, "He doesn't look so little next to those other track guys" doesn't qualify as sportscasting malpractice.

Comment

Tell me, "He doesn't look so little next to those other track guys" doesn't qualify as sportscasting malpractice.
            It doesn't qualify as sportscasting malpractice.

For one, remember that they were comparing the other guys to *Dix*, thinking he was Holliday. Dix *is* noticeably bigger than Holliday, and Holliday was the guy who finished second in the race they showed.

Also, it was just a typical off-the-cuff remark by guys doing a football game and trying to be glib.

I suppose if you haven't watched a lot of televised sports over the years, it could have been "the worst piece of sportscasting [you] have ever seen". I've seen worse over the last month.

Comment

I was laughing my ass off.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

SEC-TV will do a piece on Holliday as 2-sport star tomorrow. See link on front page.

Comment

The SEC has a had a ton of tracksters/footballers.

Comment

Working...
                  X