X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Golden League- to include London, Lausanne ,DN Galan

EXCLUSIVE: London and Lausanne set to be added to expanded Golden League

http://www.insidethegames.com/show-news.php?id=4594

As much as I dislike the Golden League, it might mean we get some decent middle-distance races for a change, which normally just attract the best British athletes, some of the good Americans and Australians and some second-rate East Africans.
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

but tinkering with the format will make no difference at all to the public percieve this sport. i'm a massive fan and i couldn't care less if london is golden leaugue or not it will make no difference to the line-ups or how the meet is promoted !!
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
        but tinkering with the format will make no difference at all to the public percieve this sport. i'm a massive fan and i couldn't care less if london is golden leaugue or not it will make no difference to the line-ups or how the meet is promoted !!
        But at least it might mean we don't have to have another shit 2 day meeting.

Comment

A minor little quote from this article:

"But the inclusion of Lausanne could mean that the Weltklasse event in Zurich, the self-styled "One Day Olympics" meeting and one of the most popular on the circuit, could be controversially dropped."

Comment

Note that as headlined on the front page here, the "news" of this has a question mark appended to it. This is all far (far-far?) from a done deal.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is going to have an effect all. Essentially you upgrade the Golden League and downgrade the Super Grand Prix Series, does it really matter to get more publicity ?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Note that as headlined on the front page here, the "news" of this has a question mark appended to it. This is all far (far-far?) from a done deal.
                I was about to say the exact same thing. The guys behind insidethegames.com have a knack of presenting 'maybes' as stone cold fact.

Comment

To clarify my clarification ( :-) )... there is no doubt that the 2010 version of the Golden League will be different. Ascribing specific changes at this point is premature, however.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
                    As much as I dislike the Golden League,
                    I'm curious as to why. Aren't the GL meets some of the best of the season?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      As much as I dislike the Golden League,
                      I'm curious as to why. Aren't the GL meets some of the best of the season?
                      Not really. My favourite meetings last year were Lausanne, Stockholm and Monaco and the same events always crop up year after year (many which I find not very exciting). I preferred the old Grand Prix circuit, where there is a fairer system and every event was a Grand Prix event in a 2-year cycle.

Comment

I preferred the old Grand Prix circuit, where there is a fairer system and every event was a Grand Prix event in a 2-year cycle.
                        From what I understand, every event still is potentially a Grand Prix event, but instead of having a two-year cycle, with each event contested at the GP final every other year, what they have now is better. Each event is contested at the WAF (which replaced the GP Final) every single year.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                          I preferred the old Grand Prix circuit, where there is a fairer system and every event was a Grand Prix event in a 2-year cycle.
                          From what I understand, every event still is potentially a Grand Prix event, but instead of having a two-year cycle, with each event contested at the GP final every other year, what they have now is better. Each event is contested at the WAF (which replaced the GP Final) every single year.
                          Seems comprehensive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                            I was referring to the 'old' Grand Prix circuit, where events such as the women's discus, men's hammer etc were designated Grand Prix events every other year. I don't think the new idea if that good because none of the high profile meetings ever hold heavy throwing events. However, back in 1986, the women's discus was a GP event and there were meets in Budapest, Bratislava, Dresden, Brussels and Oslo and there were men's hammer events in Budapest, London, Moscow, Dresden, Nice, Helsinki and West Berlin.

Comment

I don't think the designation of those events as GP events required any meet organizer to include them in their program. They did for a number of possible reasons--the events were more popular then than they are now, the economics of staging these events were different, and meets then were longer than they tend to be now.

Another factor is television, which has influenced the duration of meets and the choice of events in ways that do not favor the inclusion of those particular events.

Comment

Working...
                              X