Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Edinburgh International Cross Country

No surprises that Linet Masai won the women's race with quite some ease. But there was yet another superb performance from Steph Twell. She finished in fourth, just two seconds behind World XC silver medallist Mestawot Tufa. She also destroyed Euro XC silver medallist Jessica Augusto by such a margin that I reckon Twell could have even won the senior women's race at the European Cross Country Champs.

Men's race about to start...

Brilliant performance from Twell. She was fourth last year but this year, the field was much stronger and she was only inches behind Tufa and Kibiwott, and was also ahead of Vivian Cheruiyot.

It's interesting to hear that she plans to run in the World Cross. I thought she was planning on doing the European Indoors instead, unless she is planning on doing both of them.
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Linet Masai was in seriously impressive form tho wasn't she? A class apart from Tufa today. If she's in the same shape in March she could be a good tip for the World XC title.

Bit of a surprise win in the men's by Abebe Dinkesa who shouldn't have been able to run away from the field like that!

Comment

dinkessa is very unusual in that he is a worldbeater about 1 out 10 races as his 26:30 for 10k shows, but he runs poorly (by his standard) enough that a lot of people think he is washed up, then he runs great and beats an outstanding field.

the girl in 5th (kalkedan gezehegn) was born in 1991, also i had read on the iaaf reportgenzebe dibababa was supposed to run, so this race had a lot of young up and coming stars with l. masai 3rd in the world senior cross country meet as a junior last year, genzebe dibaba last years world junior cross country champion, lat years world junior 1500 meter meter champion stephanie twell and the 1500 runnerup to twell kalkedan gezehegn.

Comment

very nice run by twell, but for me it was spoiled slightly beforehand by the comments earlier in the week by meet organiser "who expected her unbeaten run this season to continue at his meet"

the guy is a twonk

how on earth did he expect a current 4'05 gal who's best distance is 1500 to win a 5.6k race against a field including a 14'22 gal ( if she's near that form ) ???

14'22 is 5k abilty i guarantee twell will never have in her career

granted twell did beat vivian who ran woefully compared to earlier season ( had been running almost as well as linet ), but his was a nonsense prediction on paper

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
            very nice run by twell, but for me it was spoiled slightly beforehand by the comments earlier in the week by meet organiser "who expected her unbeaten run this season to continue at his meet"

the guy is a twonk
            No. You're the twonk for (once again) mis-reading the quotes given. All of the news reports were written to the effect of: "Twell puts unbeaten run on the line" - NOT that her unbeaten run was going to continue. The exact quotes from Any Caine, the meet director, were:
            We've attracted some of the world's premier female athletes and amongst these are many who given their age will be candidates for track medals at the 2012 London Olympics.

It promises to be a great race and Masai has already shown top form yesterday when she won her third race of the winter season in Spain ahead of Vivian Cheruiyot the world 5000m silver medallist who is also in Saturday's field.

It's going to be a tough encounter for Twell but she showed last year when finishing an excellent fourth that she has the ability to lift herself at this level when the going gets really tough.

Steph's just got better and better since then winning the world junior 1500m gold medal in the summer and just missing out on a place in the Olympic final at the distance.

I know she's relishing the opportunity of competing against some talented rivals again and having claimed a third and final European junior title just before the Christmas and then winning in Antrim, is fully prepared for what will be a big occasion.
            So the gist of what he was saying was that Twell is a quality athlete; that she has improved since last year; that the race will be tougher this time round; and that she is fully prepared for the race. Nowhere did he say that she was the pre-race favourite or that she was expected to win.

Of course, if you can find a source to back up what you're claiming Caine said, then feel free and I'll take back everything I've said.

And on your second point, Cheruiyot has been running nowhere near as well as Masai on the country this winter. And Twell finished joint third/fourth with Cheruiyot last year when the Kenyan WAS at her best form. Cheruiyot simply isn't as good on the country as she is on the track; Twell, meanwhile, excels on the country.

Comment

I agree with Jon's reading of that quote. But not everyone read it that way.

http://tinyurl.com/88u5hc

Andy Caine expects Stephanie Twell to maintain her unbeaten winter record on Saturday when she contests the Great Edinburgh International Cross Country.

Comment

just curious why do you say i guarantee twell will never run 14:22 for 5k?
                she is very young at age 19, she has won a world junior title at 1500 meters, so that shows she is a legitimate prospect to be among the top, she will probably improve her 1500 time a lot, and that she runs good in cross country shows there probably a fast 5k in her future, maybe in 3-5 years a 14:22 can happen for twell.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  I agree with Jon's reading of that quote. But not everyone read it that way.

http://www.teletext.co.uk/sportnews/new ... cking.aspx

Andy Caine expects Stephanie Twell to maintain her unbeaten winter record on Saturday when she contests the Great Edinburgh International Cross Country.
                  thank you

you beat me to the link

i saw the story there on teletext which is one of the 2 terrestial tv text services in britain ( along with bbc ) - it's 1st or 2nd source of info for anybody here

unfortunately we are plagued here by idiots who post 1st without doing any research...

Comment

That Teletext quote from Caine is an abridged version of the one I posted above. The WRITERS at Teletext put Caine's words in a different context to which they were intended. Unfortunately you fell hook, line & sinker for it. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                      That Teletext quote from Caine is an abridged version of the one I posted above. The WRITERS at Teletext put Caine's words in a different context to which they were intended. Unfortunately you fell hook, line & sinker for it. :roll:
                      I assume that when you say "you" fell for it, you mean eldrick. As I said, I read that quote the same way you did. I would not have written what the Teletext people did nor would I have accepted that interpretation as eldrick did.

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
                        she is very young at age 19, she has won a world junior title at 1500 meters, so that shows she is a legitimate prospect to be among the top, she will probably improve her 1500 time a lot, and that she runs good in cross country shows there probably a fast 5k in her future, maybe in 3-5 years a 14:22 can happen for twell.
                        there have been 1/2 dozen+ 1500 wjc - find me one who's run 14'22 as a senior ( what is the fastest any of them have ever run ? )

14'22 :

it's faster than paula wouda run in '02 even if she'd run the initial 600m at a proper pace

it's faster than the euro record of 14'23

it's 9s faster than '00 og champ gaby who had 3'56 ability, ever ran

use some common sense - a few seconds thinking & most fans will proscribe a limit which will hold for majority of athletes assigned one - better your experience/knowledge, more chance of calling it correctly

i'd be surprised if she ever comes close to 14'30 ( the "gold standard" just back in early '04 ) let alone 14'22

if you are not happy with 14'22, pray tell us your "guaranteed" number ( & please no feeble excuses like "can't say - an athlete can have any potential" - they don't - no athlete will ever run a 5k in 5'00 - we can put a number on anyone

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                          Originally posted by Jon
                          I assume that when you say "you" fell for it, you mean eldrick.
                          Of course.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                            Originally posted by doug091463
                            there have been 1/2 dozen+ 1500 wjc - find me one who's run 14'22 as a senior ( what is the fastest any of them have ever run ? )
                            Well one of the world junior 1500m champions had run 3:50 for 1500m and 8:12 for 3000m so I think she could have challenged 14:22. :wink:

But seriously, I think Twell will run sub-14:40 one day but not 14:22.
                            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

I'd given up on women's junior champonships distance races for past decade - just nameless africans who tended to flatter to deceive when reaching seniority - weren't worth bothering to follow - forgot Qu wasn't african !

I'll be 1st to admit though, that i didn't think in a million years, Vivian ( or any other kenyan for that matter) woud run 14'22 this early in the kenyan "development" - maybe one gal would run this fast in early next decade, but wasn't really expecting to see anything better than ~ 14'30 by decade's end ( remember kenyan record of Edith was 14'37 as late as '05, improved to 14'33 the next year followed by Viv's breakthru )

On that basis, it's of course possible for Twell to run 14'22 ( but same as for Viv - woudn' think it in a million years ) but something slightly <14'40 seems bang on

Comment

Working...
                              X