X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hightower encouraging USATF members to get involved

Email that I assume all USATF members received today:

Dear USATF Colleagues,

Happy New Year! During the holiday season I had the opportunity to reflect on the exciting opportunities and continued challenges for our sport that were debated and discussed during the annual meeting in Reno. It is now time to build on the promises of the campaign and to complete the restructuring of our governance.

First, as you may know, the Nominating and Governance Panel is diligently responsible for working on selecting the remaining members of USATF's Board of Directors. The work of this panel is critical for achieving the goals of USA Track & Field's restructuring effort. The Panel members were selected to serve because of their reputations for excellence and integrity, and for their demonstrated commitment to our sport. 

To ensure that the new Board benefits from the insights of individuals with expertise and experience in certain key areas, the Panel is selecting from among individuals nominated by various constituencies, including the High Performance Division, Long Distance Running Division, General Competition Division, Youth Athletics Division, Officials Committee, and Coaching Advisory Committee.

In addition, the Panel will select three independent members of the USATF Board. The Panel has already received submissions from several outstanding candidates. Moreover, the Panel invites interested candidates to submit biographical sketches and the candidates' personal statements until the positions have been filled. 

The Panel anticipates wrapping up its work on this project no later than in late January or early February. Candidates should submit information to the Panel by forwarding it to USATF General Counsel Lamont Jones at <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected] org.

Second, per the By-laws and regulations, the President is responsible for appointing members to a variety of USATF committees (see list below). In an effort to capitalize on the vast talent and expertise within our sport I would like to invite you to consider submitting your name for one of the committee appointments.  

Because we want to assure diversity, we would ask that you send us a brief biographical sketch with: Your name, Email, Phone Number, Cell Phone, Association, Gender, Race/Ethnicity, Age; the committee(s) to which you are interested in an appointment and; a brief description of the strengths you would bring to the committee and a brief statement of future ideas for the committee.

A panel chaired by Tim Baker will review each submission and make recommendation for my consideration. It is my intent to have the appointment completed by early Feb. Please submit your information by Jan. 19Th 2009 to: Tim Baker, Chair, President Appointment Transition Team, at <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected] t.

COMMITTEE LIST FOR PRESIDENTIAL APPOINTMENTS

Agent screening committee
    Annual Meeting Review
    Associations
    Athlete Support
    Athletics for the Disabled Committee
    Audit
    Awards
    Budget
    Child Protection
    Coaches Advisory Committee
    Coaches Involvement
    Coaching Ed National
    Compensation Subcommittee
    Diversity and Leadership
    Elections Review and Reform
    Ethics
    Facilities Access
    General Competition and Administrative Divisions
    Grants
    Hall of Fame Library
    Hall of Fame Steering Committee
    IAAF Technical Officials Subcommittee
    Insurance
    International Relations
    Law & Legislation
    Medical Services subcommittee Men's Development and Women's
    NACAC Relations Subcommittee
    National Athletics Board of Review
    National Office Evaluation
    National Track & Field Hall of Fame Board of Directors
    Officials
    Organizational Services Committee
    Panel on the Order of Business
    Protocol
    Psychological Services Subcommittee
    Records
    Reinstatement Panel
    Road Running Technical Council
    Rule
    Scientific Services subcommittee Sports Medicine & Science: General committee
    Strategic Planning Oversight
    Youth & Family Fitness
    Zero Tolerance 

We have much to do in order to make this transition a success and I welcome your continued service. May we all be inspired to greatness in 2009!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours in Athletics,
    Stephanie Hightower
    USA Track & Field
    President

43 committees to fill; guess being president is a full-time job in the early going!

Comment

Good to know she's stating gender, race, and age of the applicants will play a role in considerations.

Law dude?
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
        Good to know she's stating gender, race, and age of the applicants will play a role in considerations.

Law dude?
        no that is wrong, a meritocracy is the only right way.

example if you were a passenger on a plane which would you prefer a black man or woman, a white man or woman, an asian man or woman, a man or woman of mixed race.
        i would say i could care less as long as that person gets the plane from point A to point B safely.

Comment

Law dude?
          I don't think it's illegal, improper, or even unusual, for diversity to be considered in putting together committees. This is particularly the case in an organization that governs a sport with a very diverse constituency, both in its athletes and in its volunteer organization.

I very much doubt that she will be the first President of this organization to take diversity into account in making Presidential appointments to committees. AFAIK, she is the first to reach out the way she has in seeking candidates for these appointments. If she believes it's important to strive for diversity within the organization, and will be taking that into consideration in her committee appointments, I don't see why she shouldn't say so as she has.

Comment

Doug - I was being sarcastic

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              43 committees to fill; guess being president is a full-time job in the early going!
              Yeah, and the first thing I'd do as president would be to combine them into about 10 committees max. That list represents bureaucracy at its mind-numbing 'best'.

Comment

You might not think so if you were actually an active part of USATF. It's a volunteer organization, remember and one way people get rewarded in volunteer organizations is to slowly climb up the power structure and get to feel a real part of the governance (even if it may be illusory).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  You might not think so if you were actually an active part of USATF. It's a volunteer organization, remember and one way people get rewarded in volunteer organizations is to slowly climb up the power structure and get to feel a real part of the governance (even if it may be illusory).
                  So be on one of the 10 committees. The more the merrier. Form sub-committees with cool titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by gh
                    So be on one of the 10 committees. The more the merrier. Form sub-committees with cool titles.
                    10 comittees with 40 sub-committees is the same thing as 50 committees.

Comment

Someone explain to me the duties of the Psychological Services Subcommittee.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                        10 comittees with 40 sub-committees is the same thing as 50 committees.
                        Not at all. The red tape is diminished by 80% because the sub-comm work is invisible to the rest of the infra-structure.

Comment

It just tells the other committees that they're crazy.

Comment

they work w/ the sports psychologists who are involved w/ usatf & the usoc to get services to coaches and athletes. this includes creating programs for them, putting on seminars & even supporting some int'l teams.

Comment

Working...
                            X