Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a difference 24 hours can make. From nowhere to 2 gold and a bronze.

Steve, you're a true world star Dani and Mitch may soon be too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort
      What a difference 24 hours can make. From nowhere to 2 gold and a bronze.

Steve, you're a true world star Dani and Mitch may soon be too.
      Best ever champs in terms of medal colour.

2007: 2 golds but nothing else

One more medal to equal most:

1997 & 1999: 1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze

Second best in terms of Top 8 count (8 thus far), well behind in pre-Sydney 1999 (13)...

Outside medal chance still in men's (4x4) and Birmingham in 5k final...

Great work all...

Comment

• Had to laugh at the SBS wrapup..

Wondering who they would be leaving out of the 4x4 final team as "Orrefeins" (Emma's term) ran so well and how could Steffensen replace him...

Duh - Thomas was always the obvious one to go.

Comment

• Just giving a big up to the Aussie's here. That Steve Hoooker really epitomizes the old Aussie competitive spirit and fight!!

Comment

Had to laugh at the SBS wrapup..

Wondering who they would be leaving out of the 4x4 final team as "Orrefeins" (Emma's term) ran so well and how could Steffensen replace him...

Can't understand why they dropped Milburn. He was a semi-finalist in the 400m. Might have made the difference betw bronze and silver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacksf
              Originally posted by Vault-emort
              Had to laugh at the SBS wrapup..

Can't understand why they dropped Milburn. He was a semi-finalist in the 400m. Might have made the difference betw bronze and silver.
              I'd thought Thomas (about a second below his best in 400H) was the obvious one, but I'd missed seeing the opening leg of the 4x4 heats so wasn't sure how Milburn had run. Obviously Thomas musta run better.

Great champs for the Aussies though - a record medal tally and that considering:

- No defending champ Jana Pittman-Rawlinson
              - No defending champ Nathan Deakes
              - No Craig Mottram or Benita Johnson
              - Last year's top ranked Jarrod Bannister missing from the planet..
              - Sally's bad luck with that last minute back/hammy injury
              - Male walkers not doing quite as well as hoped

Good onya boys and girls

Comment

• I am sure it is up around somewhere but does anyone know if Steve Hooker, will be competing in the athletics world final.

and

At the throwing coaches conference last year (they bought out Koji - partly to work with Hamish Peacock, and Kristen Hillier - Vals coach and I apolgise if I got it wrong) after two great long days, we had the reality speech from Athletics Aust -

"...and of course if you want this to contine... you need to bring back medals..."
                think he was talking Commwealth, but Dani's should keep them happy for a while...
                " we all overtrain" Pat Casey to George Frenn

Comment

• Originally posted by Terry Gibbs
                  I am sure it is up around somewhere but does anyone know if Steve Hooker, will be competing in the athletics world final.
                  That WAS the plan (and he's due to compete in the AUS v ENG "ashes" comp in a week or so's time with Sally and some others) but haven't seen any updates.

Originally posted by Terry Gibbs
                  but Dani's should keep them employed for a while...
                  Fixed that for ya

Comment

• At Berlin, one of our group was/is from Melbourne. He proudly announced early in the aft/late morning: HA Australia leads the US in the 1-8 point places race. Yeah, the M20kW had finished :shock: We (USAsians) had reeled them in by the end of the day But the Aussies did have a nice meet, and Dani's smashing comethrough in the DT was one of the joys of the meet. Hooker's gutsy rolling the dice in the PV was also a pretty wonderful moment. At the end of the day, both Peter & I were pretty happy with the meet. Our most euphoric time was after Bolt's 100 WR. We avoided the early crowds on the S-Bahn every night and stopped at a Bier Stubbe outside the stadium. It got drunk out, and loud. Really loud. Hell, Usain had just chopped .11 off the WR and Gay had taken the US record down by .07 and was dusted. Woooo.

Comment

• VE, i was re-watching my tapes from berlin, and i believe thomas ran an amazing and crazy leg for the aussies in the semi, he went from last to 2nd, then faded to i think 3rd.

also, did you see my remark on the LJ thread, did watt's last jump, which was a foul, land him over the 8.50 m mark? that was pretty amazing.

Comment

• The Aussie 4x4 splits are supposedly

Heat
                        46.4 Milburn
                        45.6 Thomas
                        44.78 Offereins
                        45.25 Wroe

Final
                        45.6 Steffensen
                        45.3 Offereins
                        45.34 Thomas
                        44.71 Wroe

so Thomas did have a coupla decent runs after a disappointing 400H.

Watt's last jump did look big but you gotta hit the board I guess. Still a good year for a guy who hadn't been out of Australia until a coupla months ago. I could handle him running our relay anchor too.

Comment

• I noticed a name from the past in the Weekend Australian, which got be wondering why well connected ex-athletes like Chum Darvall never seem to direct funds back to the sport while ex-cricketers and footballers seem to.

Comment

• I'm not sure if old Cholmondeley would be head of the bank if he 'directed' funds anywhere but into solid investments

Comment

I'm not sure if old Cholmondeley would be head of the bank if he 'directed' funds anywhere but into solid investments
                              Well, exchange "funds" for "sponsorships", where decisions are made based on senior executives sporting or artistic preferences with post-facto rationalisation of how this will benefit the company and shareholders (read executives dinners with stars or golf days with .......). The question still remains.

Example

Comment

• Shanghai website has Jana Pittman listed for 400H but IAAF preview doesn't make mention of her

Comment

Working...
                                X