Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi - 2010

I do remember Australasian Athletics, one of the many short term attempts at full coverage of the sport. If only the sport in Oz wasn't full of low rent tight arses, it might still be going. All there is now is a few running mags/websites with the occasional, token sprint/field stories.

I'd be quite happy to start a new version if you put up the requisite $2m - it should last at least 18 months....

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro
      I do remember Australasian Athletics, one of the many short term attempts at full coverage of the sport. If only the sport in Oz wasn't full of low rent tight arses, it might still be going.
      There was an interesting story about the leadership of the Oz federation linked in the headline section here yesterday:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5851085022

I'm curious to know what our Oz posters here think about that situation.

Comment

I do remember Australasian Athletics, one of the many short term attempts at full coverage of the sport.
        It actually ran from 1964 to the early 1980s (albeit with a name change every now and again)

Originally posted by tandfman
        I'm curious to know what our Oz posters here think about that situation.
        Mike's usually on the ball - as with his Semenya stories - and I don't see anything to disagree with in this article.

The thing that annoys me most is that the Collingwood-stacked board of AA has made some decisions that negatively affect athletics in Melbourne while - purely coincidentally I'm sure - benefit the Collingwood AFL team.

Just one more reason to hate the Pies.

Comment

Australian record holder in the discus, Ben Harradine, had his collection of discs, tapes and sundries stolen from the AIS throws field ahead of this week's national titles. The local paper obliquely mentioned that a football game had taken place at the stadium next door on the night it went missing.....

V-e, it seems that it's just not the Pies - every football code will rip off athletics one way or another.

Comment

V-e, it seems that it's just not the Pies - every football code will rip off athletics one way or another.
            I guess it's not likely to be the AFL ripping off an athlete in Canberra. They'd try and rip off the local government..

Comment

The national titles kick off in just a few hours' time. These serve as (partial) selection trials for the Commonwealth Games (in six months time!).

Among the big names competing are Steve Hooker (chasing a A$100k bonus for Bubka's WR), Dani Samuels and Fabrice LaPierre. At least three of our US college folks have flown in: Dave McNeill (Northern Arizona), Zoe Buckman (Oregon) and Julian Wruck (Texas Tech).

Missing are Sally McLellan (on honeymoon), Mitchell Watt (abductor strain), Jana Rawlinson (in UK and injured) and Craig Mottram (still coming back from achilles injuries).

Hotly contested events should be the Men's 1500m (has had 5 (A-Qualifiers so far), 400m & 5000m (4 each).

Results can be tracked here: http://www.athletics.com.au/livestats/results/index.htm

Comment

Several of those competing in the national championships this weekend have already been pre-selected for the Commonwealth Games (Samuels, LaPierre and Hooker). Several more are not competing but have also been pre-selected (McLellan and Watt). With Rawlinson and Mottram not competing and not previously pre-selected, I am not sure how they would find themselves on the team.

Comment

The qualifying period runs to mid-August, so in theory there's plenty of time for both athletes. Rawlinson would be banking on fewer than three athletes meeting the qualifying standards in the 400H and since only Boden has run an A-qualifier to date, she could probably wait till the European summer to start firing. Mottram's case is a bit different - four athletes have run the A-qualifier in the 5K, five in the 1500. Those are the events he ran at the last CG and would obviously represent his best chance of making the team in the normal scheme of things.

Comment

Thanks AS for the info on American based athletes flying back and over to Perth to participate in the National Championships. I had been looking at the starting lists for the Oregon vs UCLA meet this weekend and didn't see Zoe Buckman's name listed. Now I know why.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort
                      Originally posted by AS
                      Marks from the weekend that adjust Aussie All-time Top 10s:

W POLE VAULT
                      4.40 Amanda Bisk Perth 26 Mar 10
                      4.30 Bridgid Isworth Hamilton,NZL 6 Feb 02
                      4.30 Rosanna Ditton Sydney 28 Feb 04
                      4.30 Liz Parnov Perth 19 Feb 10
                      The 15 yr old deserves her equalling place on the all-time
                      Now Australian champion at 4.40, equal to her sister's best. Vicky finished 4th at 4.10

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort
                        Also - interested to see that Melissa Rollison is in the start list for the SC at next week's nationls.
                        And ends up as national champion in 10:17.51, a way off her best of 9:24.29, which is second on the Australian all-time list behind Donna McFarlane's 9:18.35.

Comment

Ben Offerins won the 400m in 45.17.

Comment

Finals results from day two of nationals:

M100 (0.4) Rouge-Serret 10.32 (Commonwealth Games B qualifier) Davies 10.44 Groth 10.45
                            M400 Offereins 45.17 (Commonwealth Games A qualifier) Steffensen 45.72 (CGB) Milburn 45.75 (CGB)
                            M800 Renshaw 1.46.66 (CGB) Kaan 1.47.04 (CGB) Gurr 1.47.16 (CGB)
                            M5000 St Lawrence 13.40.54 Birmingham 13.42.61 McNeill 14.00.80
                            M400H Cole 50.64 Thomas 50.69 Brandwood 51.29
                            MTJ Frayne 16.63 (CGB) Brigg 16.53 (CGB) Jones 15.99
                            MDT Harradine 62.26 (CGA) Martin 60.25 (CGA) Wruck 57.48 (CGB)
                            MHJ Zamel-Paez 2.22 (CGB) Hall 2.22 (CGB) Tsuchiya (Japan) 2.19
                            W100 (0.2) Breen 11.50 (CGB) Smythe (NZ) 11.72 Whaler 11.72
                            W400 Cuddihy (Ireland) 51.94 Henry 52.20 (CGB) Steinert 52.78 (CGB)
                            W1500 McKnight 4.17.99 Delaney 4.18.33 Buckman 4.18.58
                            W3000st Rollison 10.17.51 Nicod 10.33.43 Wilson 10.41.95
                            WJT Mickle 60.66 (CGA) Mitchell 56.15 (CGB) Clarke 51.80
                            WTJ O'Riley 13.26 Knight 13.22 Morrison 13.12
                            WPV E Parnov 4.40 (CGA) Boyd 4.40 (CGA) Bisk 4.20 (CGB)

Hooker, Samuels, Gregson, Riseley, Bannister, Lapierre competing on day three.

Comment

Each of the posted results for individual events at the National Championships - lists the various records for that event (world, Australian, Meet, etc) and the A and B Qualifying Times, heights, or distances for each event. However, the posted results for Melissa Rollison (1st in 10.17.51) for the 3000mst is the only event not to include all of these details. Am I to assume that this event is not being contested at the Commonwealth Games?

Comment

W3000st is listed as an event on the official 2010 Delhi site, so it's probably just an oversight by the company providing the results service. IIRC Rollison ran second in the same event at the 2006 CGs in Melbourne.

Comment

Working...
                                X