Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sprintblox
    Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
    No offence to you guys, but it would be nice if, more than 40 years after it was first achieved, someone from somewhere other than the USA cracked 44 seconds.
    It would also be nice if, more than 50 years after setting the 400m and 4x400m world records, Jamaica would crack 44.40 seconds. Jamaica's position is uncharacteristically far down on the all-time world list, considering the history of Jamaicans in that event and the relative lack thereof for other countries with faster times like Mexico and Uganda.

Mexico had a very low 44 400m man back in the 90s. I would submit that Mexico should have a sub3 minute 4x4 year in and year out.
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

No offence to you guys, but it would be nice if, more than 40 years after it was first achieved, someone from somewhere other than the USA cracked 44 seconds. There've been people who've had the potential, but it feels as though it's about time.

I believe Juantorena's :44.2 at sea-level (and slightly humid) Montreal is worth better than the altitude :43 WR at the time. Especially after the 800m. rounds and final and 400m. rounds beforehand.

Seems like after that, people wanted to see him in the 800 and that's where the money was for him, so not a lot of full-out 400's anymore.

But I agree he was probably capable of under :44 but just didn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
        Mexico had a very low 44 400m man back in the 90s.
        Alejandro Cárdenas, 44.31.
        I would submit that Mexico should have a sub3 minute 4x4 year in and year out.
        You're being sarcastic. He's their only sub-45 guy ever.

Jamaica is #3 on the 4x400 all-time list, is frequently in medal contention in that event at World champs and Olympics, has had 9 qualifiers for the Olympic final in the individual event since (and including) 1984, and usually has somebody (sometimes multiple) ranked in the T&FN top 10 for the past 30 years. Forget about sub-44 right now ... it's long overdue to have a sub-44.4 Jamaican. Bolt probably will be the man to do it.

Comment

I expect Ricardo Chambers to break Roxbert Martin's 44.49 NR this year
          why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
            No offence to you guys, but it would be nice if, more than 40 years after it was first achieved, someone from somewhere other than the USA cracked 44 seconds. There've been people who've had the potential, but it feels as though it's about time.

I believe Juantorena's :44.2 at sea-level (and slightly humid) Montreal is worth better than the altitude :43 WR at the time. Especially after the 800m. rounds and final and 400m. rounds beforehand.

Seems like after that, people wanted to see him in the 800 and that's where the money was for him, so not a lot of full-out 400's anymore.

But I agree he was probably capable of under :44 but just didn't get it.
            The 'humid' part makes the effort easier in that the air density is lower, albeit only very slightly (see JRM's work).

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
              Mexico had a very low 44 400m man back in the 90s.
              Alejandro Cárdenas, 44.31.
              I would submit that Mexico should have a sub3 minute 4x4 year in and year out.
              You're being sarcastic. He's their only sub-45 guy ever.
              Mexico has 150M people. I suspect strongly that there are enough sub 45 guys out there to field a few sub3 4x4s.
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Mexico has 150M people. I suspect strongly that there are enough sub 45 guys out there to field a few sub3 4x4s.
                I don't know why population should be a measure of the likelihood of running a fast 400m. China and India between them have nearly 2.5 Billion people. But they've yet to produce a single sub 45 guy.

Comment

Working...
                X