X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by paulthefan
    Mexico has 150M people. I suspect strongly that there are enough sub 45 guys out there to field a few sub3 4x4s.
    I don't know why population should be a measure of the likelihood of running a fast 400m. China and India between them have nearly 2.5 Billion people. But they've yet to produce a single sub 45 guy.

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    Originally posted by sprintblox
    Mexico had a very low 44 400m man back in the 90s.
    Alejandro Cárdenas, 44.31.
    I would submit that Mexico should have a sub3 minute 4x4 year in and year out.
    You're being sarcastic. He's their only sub-45 guy ever.
    Mexico has 150M people. I suspect strongly that there are enough sub 45 guys out there to field a few sub3 4x4s.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian
    Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
    No offence to you guys, but it would be nice if, more than 40 years after it was first achieved, someone from somewhere other than the USA cracked 44 seconds. There've been people who've had the potential, but it feels as though it's about time.

I believe Juantorena's :44.2 at sea-level (and slightly humid) Montreal is worth better than the altitude :43 WR at the time. Especially after the 800m. rounds and final and 400m. rounds beforehand.

Seems like after that, people wanted to see him in the 800 and that's where the money was for him, so not a lot of full-out 400's anymore.

But I agree he was probably capable of under :44 but just didn't get it.
    The 'humid' part makes the effort easier in that the air density is lower, albeit only very slightly (see JRM's work).

Leave a comment:

• DentyCracker
    replied
    I expect Ricardo Chambers to break Roxbert Martin's 44.49 NR this year

Leave a comment:

• sprintblox
    replied
    Mexico had a very low 44 400m man back in the 90s.
    Alejandro Cárdenas, 44.31.
    I would submit that Mexico should have a sub3 minute 4x4 year in and year out.
    You're being sarcastic. He's their only sub-45 guy ever.

Jamaica is #3 on the 4x400 all-time list, is frequently in medal contention in that event at World champs and Olympics, has had 9 qualifiers for the Olympic final in the individual event since (and including) 1984, and usually has somebody (sometimes multiple) ranked in the T&FN top 10 for the past 30 years. Forget about sub-44 right now ... it's long overdue to have a sub-44.4 Jamaican. Bolt probably will be the man to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    No offence to you guys, but it would be nice if, more than 40 years after it was first achieved, someone from somewhere other than the USA cracked 44 seconds. There've been people who've had the potential, but it feels as though it's about time.

I believe Juantorena's :44.2 at sea-level (and slightly humid) Montreal is worth better than the altitude :43 WR at the time. Especially after the 800m. rounds and final and 400m. rounds beforehand.

Seems like after that, people wanted to see him in the 800 and that's where the money was for him, so not a lot of full-out 400's anymore.

But I agree he was probably capable of under :44 but just didn't get it.

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    Originally posted by sprintblox
    No offence to you guys, but it would be nice if, more than 40 years after it was first achieved, someone from somewhere other than the USA cracked 44 seconds.
    It would also be nice if, more than 50 years after setting the 400m and 4x400m world records, Jamaica would crack 44.40 seconds. Jamaica's position is uncharacteristically far down on the all-time world list, considering the history of Jamaicans in that event and the relative lack thereof for other countries with faster times like Mexico and Uganda.

Mexico had a very low 44 400m man back in the 90s. I would submit that Mexico should have a sub3 minute 4x4 year in and year out.

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied
    ...after Gary Kikaya's 44.1, there's a Roberto Hernandez of Cuba listed who I don't remember at all!
    That's a big hole in your memory then. Hernadez made an Olympic final (5th in 1992) and also finished 4th at two world champs.

A bit of research tells me he also run sub-45 51 times and ranked in TFN Top 10 6 years straight (in fact more often than Egbunike)

Leave a comment:

• sprintblox
    replied
    No offence to you guys, but it would be nice if, more than 40 years after it was first achieved, someone from somewhere other than the USA cracked 44 seconds.
    It would also be nice if, more than 50 years after setting the 400m and 4x400m world records, Jamaica would crack 44.40 seconds. Jamaica's position is uncharacteristically far down on the all-time world list, considering the history of Jamaicans in that event and the relative lack thereof for other countries with faster times like Mexico and Uganda.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    LaShawn ran a very low-key leg on a pickup mile relay yesterday at an all-comers meet in Landover, Maryland. He ran about a 47 2nd leg,,, his team won in 3: 17.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Henry
    One of the technical guys could weigh in on this: but I think lower body weight workout would be a detriment to Dix's already massive thighs/legs.
    I'm not that technical a guy, but he WILL improve his strength-to-weight ratio (bulk is not that much more) and that WILL make him faster. The Oly wts, squats, etc., add all sorts of power elements.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Henry
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    I was at our state track clinic this weekend and Terry Long, Walter Dix's coach, had a good line on Bolt - He's a Sprinter Savant.
    Whatever he wants to do, he'll just do it.

[Jim Spivey was the distance guy - what a funny, goofy sense of humor.]

[Scary thing about Walter Dix - has never done lower body weight work till this fall, AFTER the Olympics. He'll be WICKED fast in 09!]
    One of the technical guys could weigh in on this: but I think lower body weight workout would be a detriment to Dix's already massive thighs/legs. He already looks a little too bulky for me. Last guy that looked like that was Ben and he seemed to have some issues with smoothness in form, barring his speed and times (their legitamacy not important in this point ). Nester Carter seems another guy down that alley.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    I was at our state track clinic this weekend and Terry Long, Walter Dix's coach, had a good line on Bolt - He's a Sprinter Savant.
    Whatever he wants to do, he'll just do it.

[Jim Spivey was the distance guy - what a funny, goofy sense of humor.]

[Scary thing about Walter Dix - has never done lower body weight work till this fall, AFTER the Olympics. He'll be WICKED fast in 09!]

Leave a comment:

• AthleticsInBritain
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    I'm not arguing with the sentiment, but let's be fair--it was first achieved with the aid of Mexico City's altitude in 1968, and it wasn't achieved again until 1988. It's been only 20 years since 44 seconds was first cracked at anything close to sea level.
    I was going to say something about '88! It's quite weird given the 20 year cycle!

Oh dear, the sentiment comes over a bit more envious than I intended. I am biased with Britain being the no. 2 400 nation, historically speaking. I always thought illness and injury robbed Roger Black of the training time needed to run 43.9. I was just checking Pela's list and after Gary Kikaya's 44.1, there's a Roberto Hernandez of Cuba listed who I don't remember at all! I did once think Innocent Egbunike would do it though.

But I can't imagine anyone else running sub 44 apart from Bolt, and sub-43.5 is what's needed to comprehensively beat Merritt or Wariner.

Leave a comment:

• sprintblox
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Kingston, May, 2007. Bolt was third behind Merritt and Andrew Rock.
    Thanks. I knew Bolt had run 45.28 sometime in Jamaica, but didn't remember it was at the JA Invitational or that Merritt was in the race. I looked up the results:

1. LaShawn Merritt (USA) 44.95, 2. Andrew Rock (USA) 45.21, 3. Usain Bolt (JAM) 45.28, 4. Michael Blackwood 45.38, 5. Allodin Fothergill 46.05.

I'm sure Bolt could run a sub-45 this May without 400-specific training.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X