Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No. 8 Time Ever For Geb In Dubai

2:05:29 in cold & wet conditions... see story on front page

8 Ethiopians in the top 10 in both men's and women's races :shock: And Dubai has one of the deepest fields of all world's marathons these days (no wonder, since even the 10th placer gets $10k).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
      8 Ethiopians in the top 10 in both men's and women's races :shock: And Dubai has one of the deepest fields of all world's marathons these days (no wonder, since even the 10th placer gets $10k).
      no americans though, super fast course paying 10 deep, we have lots of runners who could get in the top 10 on that fast course 10th place a reasonable 2:15 for the men, 2:30 for the women.

as a fan i would like to see some top americans go there, honestly for the greedy reason that if the race had some good americans, it would have a better chance of being broadcast on the tv or internet. and also it would be good for the american runners probably getting a fast time, and at minimum staying a few days in a city of the future, buildings that move in circles, man made islands etc.

Comment

How many of the top US marathoners ever run more than two marathons in a year (other than the Olympics and maybe the World Championships)? I suspect it's relatively few. I have the impression that most of them choose one of the major spring races (like Boston or London) and one of the major fall races (like Berlin, New York, or Chicago). This would be a third. Dubai is nicely placed between October and April on the calendar, so it might not be a problem, but on the other hand it might interfere with their training cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          How many of the top US marathoners ever run more than two marathons in a year (other than the Olympics and maybe the World Championships)?
          Not many but Mary Akor makes up for it :wink:
          http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

you have to love haile but these time trials are realy testing my patience. he has never won a competetive marathon and now he seems to have given up trying. untill he run again in london, NY, chicago or a champs i'm not interested
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

he's won enough titles not for him or us to care

the only title he wanted after '04 was the og M, but peking was too polluted for his liking - fair dues - he knows his body better than us & his declination to go to peking is churlish to even question - he'd want that gold desperately as he'd been bereft for 8y ( & won neither of his other 2 very convincingly )

berlin or daewoo gold may be nice, but i woudn't rate them too much unless he faces kenyan posse of sammy, martin, maybe felix & they don't = og

go for money for 4y

choice of either aim for og gold or attempt to bury record at ~ 2"02'30 ?

i'd probably take latter...

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                berlin or daewoo gold may be nice
                Daewoo is (or was) a Korean conglomerate. I think you mean Daegu.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                  you have to love haile but these time trials are realy testing my patience. he has never won a competetive marathon and now he seems to have given up trying. untill he run again in london, NY, chicago or a champs i'm not interested
                  And this kind of aid sours me too:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/displa ... p?id=27949

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    I think you mean Daegu.
                    don't think so

never driven a rental daegu...

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      why ?

it's a purely "mental" aid, not physical like drafting or drugs

as those '60s hippies said :

"get with the program bud !"

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Originally posted by mump boy
                        And this kind of aid sours me too:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/displa ... p?id=27949
                        And I have to say that I'm truly sick to death of the "elite" carping about him.

He's been competing since '92, and--in his "prime"--faced everybody and anybody who cared to show up. He has a bushel basket of championship medals and has contributed more to the sport's good name than just about anyone else I can think of.

At this point he can jolly well do whatever he feels like doing--and I say Good For Him.

Comment

Dude, you're as "elite" as they come, holding as I suspect you do, the Zürich attendance record! You like paced races, I don't. That's simple enough.

Comment

it does require a big-sponshorsip

a ? $200 - 500k reward for M track attempt

with the pacing truck ahead, all athletes >300m behind at lap-start get pulled ( avoiding '92 skah )

maybe 1 day...

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Dude, you're as "elite" as they come, holding as I suspect you do, the Zürich attendance record! You like paced races, I don't. That's simple enough.
                              Dude: If I'm an "elite" in this arena, you're the Pope (or even better, the Primo)! I'm a fan with quite a few frequent flyer miles, that's it. But thanks for the endorsement...

I "like" alot of things, including Geb. THAT is simple enough...

Comment

Working...
                              X