X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kuha
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by mump boy
    you have to love haile but these time trials are realy testing my patience. he has never won a competetive marathon and now he seems to have given up trying. untill he run again in london, NY, chicago or a champs i'm not interested
    And this kind of aid sours me too:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/displa ... p?id=27949
    And I have to say that I'm truly sick to death of the "elite" carping about him.

He's been competing since '92, and--in his "prime"--faced everybody and anybody who cared to show up. He has a bushel basket of championship medals and has contributed more to the sport's good name than just about anyone else I can think of.

At this point he can jolly well do whatever he feels like doing--and I say Good For Him.
    does that make me the 'elite' if so i'll tal=ke it as a compliment :-)

i just think that GEb just chasing times and avoiding racing is beneath him. it feel as if he knows he won't win a competetive race so he avoids them and has time trials set up instead. i don;t think these WR add to his reputation but almost undermine it :-(
    i deserve extra credit

Comment

bump
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

While there may be some contention on Geb's marathon focus, I'd say that Hengelo '07, Hengelo '08 and the Oly 10000m were events where Geb was racing against some stiff competition in the last two years.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Dude, you're as "elite" as they come, holding as I suspect you do, the Z├╝rich attendance record! You like paced races, I don't. That's simple enough.
          Do you still enjoy watching Bannister break the 4 minute mile?

Comment

That would imply that I have ever done so. I'm not sure I have! (watched it, that is)

Comment

Originally posted by joeltetreault
              While there may be some contention on Geb's marathon focus, I'd say that Hengelo '07, Hengelo '08 and the Oly 10000m were events where Geb was racing against some stiff competition in the last two years.
              nobody is arguing against his competetiveness onthe track but it's as if he's afraid to be best in the marathon so he doesn;t compete jut doe set up WR attempts. i wonder what paul tergat could have done in such a race
              i deserve extra credit

Comment

This just made me chuckle:

From eTN
                "...slogged home in a respectful 2:05:29"

Yeah, that's a respectful time. I suppose.

:lol:

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                  bump
                  Do you know what 'bump' is used for? Or did you mean 'mump'!!!

Comment

From Pat Butcher's website:

http://www.globerunner.org/blog/?p=97

Seems like Geb only cares about running for time now, which explains his choice in races. So it comes down to - you either like time trials or you don't.

It will be interesting to see what Geb does for a fall marathon if Wanjiru is doing Berlin. Amsterdam again? It would be great to see him in NYC but that wouldn't exactly fit his current WR focus.

Comment

Amsterdam again? It would be great to see him in NYC but that wouldn't exactly fit his current WR focus.
                      Maybe Chicago?

Comment

Nah, Chicago would have a strong field. Amsterdam could be "manipulated".

Comment

You're right. I was thinking just of the course.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what Geb does for a fall marathon if Wanjiru is doing Berlin. Amsterdam again?
                            Geb was quoted here saying he was going to do the Berlin Marathon again next year.
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

It will be very interesting to see how that plays out, won't it?

Comment

Wow, you guys are really searching. With all the trouble this sport has had over the last ten years, Geb has been one of the shining lights. He has always been a class act.

Hell, he could have retired years ago with a solid place in the sport's history. But he continues to perform at the highest level.

As Eldrick mentioned, he has done enough to race what he wants without caring about what any of us think.

There are plenty of athletes in this sport to point fingers at....Geb is not one of them. I would prefer not to tarnish one of the sports heros.

Comment

Working...
                                X