Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 OG 20000w Champion retires

Ms Tzoumeleka has announced her retirement (post currently in www.stivoz.com but in Greek).

You can understand why.... In her press release she sounded very tired and dissapointed by the whole situation....

can you translate for us

Comment

story now on front page says EPO

Comment

When I saw that headline on the front page, I thought "Omigod, Melaine Walker has tested positive!"

Comment

she came out of nowhere to win in '04 & that was a shocking win

maybe we now know how she did it...

Comment

Ms Tzoumeleka's press release:

I was informed that another test on the sample I gave on August 6th, 2008 was tested positive for EPO. I am not going to try and come up with excuses although as far as I know I have never used EPO. I know and I have accepted the antidoping rules and I know that I am fully responsible for what ever is found in my body and the doping samples.

The fact that those samples are tested more than once (and without my presence) like this particular sample that was found clean the first time it was checked, provokes very unpleasant feelings for the whole procedure. My unfortunate involvement after such a successful year with lots of races and a clean and upfront preparation brings me to the unpleasant decision to end my carrier at track and field that I love so much. I have also decided to not continue even after my impending punishment.

I have no interest continuing neither if after 6 months from now they tell me that the sample was after all negative as they did tell me the first time. I am very disappointed with the whole situation in the world of track and field and doping issues. I have no desire to be involved any more in that type of professional sports.

My disappointment is immense. I am sorry that this issue has upset all the people who believe on me and love me and I take full responsibility for anything that I may have been wrong about.

Comment

-----she came out of nowhere to win in '04 & that was a shocking win

--------

unfair statement.

Ms Tzoumeleka was 4th at the wolrd juniors, 2nd in the european juniors, 1st at the european under 23 and 7th at the world championship the years before OG.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                she came out of nowhere to win in '04 & that was a shocking win

I was housed w/ the walk judges in Athens, and a couple of them told me that one thing she did very well was hide in the middle of the pack and probably spent a lot of time lifting.

Comment

And I presume they did not mean weight lifting.

Comment

This ends a deeply shameful attempt by Greek athletes, coaches and maybe even higher levels of the Greek sport system to succeed at their own OG with any price. Only one athlete of the intended dream team is now left untarnished though defending their team mates Kenteris and Thanou in Athens is enough to raise an eyebrow.
                    It is anyway a pitiful performance by a country in regard to hosting such an event (lets not forget the booing spectators at the 200m final).

Comment

Originally posted by lefterisp
                      Ms Tzoumeleka was 4th at the wolrd juniors, 2nd in the european juniors, 1st at the european under 23 and 7th at the world championship the years before OG.
                      the most meaningful result there is 7th in wc, which still didn't get on the radar - frankly, 7th is nowhere - certainly not likely platform for gold contention the following year

that gold beforehand looked a sure-fire lock for the russians & seemed to me they coudn't be beat, so her win was upset of whole games to me

Comment

The fact that those samples are tested more than once (and without my presence) like this particular sample that was found clean the first time it was checked
                        that makes no sense

either it was clean or not & they tested the B sample - you don't test the B sample if A is clean

Comment

I was wondering if this was one of the samples re-tested following the Tour de France for CERA? I don't know the facts, but that could be one way in which it was originally tested for "standard" EPO and was clear, but re-tested for the CERA version?

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick

The fact that those samples are tested more than once (and without my presence) like this particular sample that was found clean the first time it was checked
                            that makes no sense

either it was clean or not & they tested the B sample - you don't test the B sample if A is clean
                            ------

She is refering to the fact that one of the samples was pronounced negative in August but now that they decided to retest, it was found positive.

Something along those lines anyway, not 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
                              I was wondering if this was one of the samples re-tested following the Tour de France for CERA? I don't know the facts, but that could be one way in which it was originally tested for "standard" EPO and was clear, but re-tested for the CERA version?

Hope this makes sense.
                              That's it, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X