Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acuff says Vlasic can go 7 feet 'right now'

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Acuff says Vlasic can go 7 feet 'right now'

    In her Millrose teleconference call, Amy Acuff was asked: Will we see a woman break the 7-foot barrier?

    She replied:

    I think Blanca (Vlasic) could do it right now. She has one little glitch where she loses where she is over the bar by throwing her head back. I've seen her jump that high. It is possible. She has an excellent combination of power and explosiveness and technique right now. And height. That's what 7 feet looks like -- that combination of qualities.
    Amy once thought she might be the first female 7-footer. Hope she's right about this call.

    K E N
    K E N

  • #2
    Re: Acuff says Vlasic can go 7 feet 'right now'

    Originally posted by TrackCEO
    In her Millrose teleconference call, Amy Acuff was asked: Will we see a woman break the 7-foot barrier?

    She replied:

    I think Blanca (Vlasic) could do it right now. She has one little glitch where she loses where she is over the bar by throwing her head back. I've seen her jump that high. It is possible. She has an excellent combination of power and explosiveness and technique right now. And height. That's what 7 feet looks like -- that combination of qualities.
    Amy once thought she might be the first female 7-footer. Hope she's right about this call.

    K E N

    I dont see Blanca as having the explosiveness that Acuff apparently sees.
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

    Comment


    • #3
      Right now? In January? In Zagreb? Oh, yeah, they do have indoor facilities. I'm skeptical. I would be happy with 2.10.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mike renfro
        Right now? In January? In Zagreb? Oh, yeah, they do have indoor facilities. I'm skeptical. I would be happy with 2.10.
        Doesn't she live in Split? :wink:
        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Acuff says Vlasic can go 7 feet 'right now'

          Originally posted by Amy Acuff
          I think Blanca (Vlasic) could do it right now.
          I am reminded of a little ditty by The Essex in 1963, Easier Said Than Done.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Acuff says Vlasic can go 7 feet 'right now'

            Yeah, let's start with the world record first. I just don't see her scaling 2.13m plus.
            If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Acuff says Vlasic can go 7 feet 'right now'

              Originally posted by Dietmar239
              Yeah, let's start with the world record first. I just don't see her scaling 2.13m plus.
              We discussed this issue about a year ago, as you have recognized by your phrase "2.13 plus". A 2.13 will NOT cut the mustard to be a "7 footer"... it will take a 2.14.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Acuff says Vlasic can go 7 feet 'right now'

                Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                Originally posted by Dietmar239
                Yeah, let's start with the world record first. I just don't see her scaling 2.13m plus.
                We discussed this issue about a year ago, as you have recognized by your phrase "2.13 plus". A 2.13 will NOT cut the mustard to be a "7 footer"... it will take a 2.14.
                Ok, to be quite clear, I don't see her jumping higher than 2.11m which therefore precludes her from jumping 2.133599m
                If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

                Comment


                • #9
                  head-arching or whatever - you can't go 2.14 without some camera analysis of a max ht in trajectory ( even if 6" before bar ) of such - anyone know her max ht ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't think Vlasic"s "head back" position over the bar is too drastic or occurring too early. (Not sure exactly what Acuff means)

                    The thing with Vlasic is that she is 1.92 tall so in a 2m jump the bar is only 8cm over her head. That means her head is coming back almost immediately after take-off. So maybe it looks like she is "throwing" her head back too early while in reality she is not.
                    Her head back position is not more drastic than, say Bergqvist's. However, Kajsa is only 1.75 tall so there is a slightly longer time interval before her head comes back.

                    Acuff just responded to a question about 7ft. Out of the question either way.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Technical nuances aside, I simply think Vlasic needs to jump in fewer meets, be fresher.

                      24 meets last year, 28 in '07... too much.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gh
                        24 meets last year, 28 in '07... too much.
                        Don't tell that to one of your ex-employees

                        He'd say she'd shoud be doing that number before end of April, "just to round her into shape" !

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gh
                          Technical nuances aside, I simply think Vlasic needs to jump in fewer meets, be fresher.

                          24 meets last year, 28 in '07... too much.
                          No doubt.
                          But with an optimal number of meets can you see her go higher than 2.10 (6-10 3/4)?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You know, just because she can jump, has been America's best jumper for ever, and holds lots of age-group records, it doesn't necessarily follow that she has a clue about high jumping. She's probably just some air-head blonde. Why does she even pretend to know anything? You guys keep straightening her out!
                            "Who's Kidding Who?"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mrbowie
                              You know, just because she can jump, has been America's best jumper for ever, and holds lots of age-group records, it doesn't necessarily follow that she has a clue about high jumping. She's probably just some air-head blonde. Why does she even pretend to know anything? You guys keep straightening her out!
                              was that a flamingo kick to the swing bag or what!.. gosh that hurts.
                              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X