Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Role Model

So Marion Jones has a successful comeback after her maternity leave. Good for her. But having a child out of wedlock sends the wrong message to young girls (mostly minorities) everywhere that it's OK to get pregnant without benefit of marriage, because everything will work out in the end. Jones has the talent and money to be a successful single mother but the thousands of girls who look up to her do not have the resources to navigate the duties of single motherhood. It's sad that she doesn't realize the impact that her iresponsible decision will have on the thousands of girls (and boys) who will cheer her on in Athens. Shame on her

iIRe: Some Role Model

I SHOULD leave this issue alone but wont. obviously I DISAGREE .

Comment

Re: Some Role Model

It seems that platinum was trying for the Republican National Committee site and hit TFN by mistake.

Comment

I also Disagree. We are no longer in the 60's. The world is changing and some people just can't keep up to it.

Comment

>So Marion Jones has a successful comeback after her maternity leave. Good for
          >her. But having a child out of wedlock sends the wrong message to young
          >girls (mostly minorities) everywhere that it's OK to get pregnant without
          >benefit of marriage, because everything will work out in the end. Jones has
          >the talent and money to be a successful single mother but the thousands of
          >girls who look up to her do not have the resources to navigate the duties of
          >single motherhood. It's sad that she doesn't realize the impact that her
          >iresponsible decision will have on the thousands of girls (and boys) who will
          >cheer her on in Athens. Shame on her

Anyone looking to Marion Jones as a role model for anything other than running fast is lacking the actual role models they need close at hand. That is not Marion's fault. You're right, she can afford to have a child out of wedlock. It was a reasonable option for her unique to her life. Each of us has those same unique options that only work in our own particular life. Just because she is a famous athlete doesn't mean she should be deprived of these.
          I find it interesting that you focus on a negative outcome (that you have completely fabricated, I should add). To me Marion was successful in her career and was financially successful prior to having a child. That's the message that kids should be given.

Lastly, SHAME ON YOU for chastising someone else who fails to live up to your poorly thought out standards of conduct, and burdening them with the responsibility of what you see as "role model" to kids with whom they will never have any contact.

Comment

Re: iIRe: Some Role Model

>I SHOULD leave this issue alone but wont. obviously I DISAGREE .

Fair enough. But could expand on where "Some Role Model" is wrong? The premise and conclusion are valid.

Comment

>I also Disagree. We are no longer in the 60's. The world is changing and some
              >people just can't keep up to it.

That's not an argument. It's an excuse.

Comment

Platinum is well within the bounds of propriety here. Marion's actions do have a pedagogical effect. So do your's and mine and everyone elses.

Comment

You reprimanded platinum for chastising Marion. You jsut did the same to platinum. Play by the rule you expect of others. Don't attack the person. The first rule of a valid argument.

Comment

>Platinum is well within the bounds of propriety here. Marion's actions do have
                    >a pedagogical effect. So do your's and mine and everyone elses.

What you have stated sounds good when read aloud (particularly with the use of the word pedagogical), but that statement doesn't mean that that effect will be negative or that her actions are going to contribute to a supposed future problem that has been fabricated. To say that here particular action is going to have an effect is fine. To blame her for a negative outcome, which cannot be linked through any means other than conjecture to her behavior, is completely spurrious.

Comment

Platinum posted on a board opening himself up for comment, as did I. Marion did not open her life for anyone's analysis or comment. There is a clear difference.
                      I think you're trying to win an argument based on semantics and not on merit.

Comment

<You reprimanded platinum for chastising Marion.>

When you start with character assassination (regardless of your motives or choice of words), you must expect consequences.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Marion's actions were negative. They will have a negative impact on someone-platinum and myself, Marion and others. The social science is clear on this matter: child bearing out of wedlock leads to any number of pathologies to the child involed. Barbara Dafoe Whithead demonstrated this beyong question. This isn't difficult stuff here Steve.

Comment

>This isn't difficult stuff here Steve.

Wait, now, are you attacking me? That should go against your own rules blah, blah, blah, blah........

I'm not aware of the person to whom you are referring. Did she do research on a population group that would include someone like Marion and her situation specifically, or just unwed mothers in general? Did she specify unwed mothers or was it single mothers?
                            You brought it up, you supply the information.

Comment

Platinum did not destroy Marion's character. An observation was made about an objective fact, that is public knowledge, relative to Marion Jones' behavior. If that is wrong of platinum to do, then it is ,likewise, wrong to beat up on anyone, even those whom with you disagree, including platinum. It's called a double standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X