Clear All

• Tommy Skipper

18-8.25 wow!

Re: Tommy Skipper

>18-8.25 wow!

Actually, 571, 18'8.75". Wow indeed!

Comment

sorry, I'm metrically challenged, not very good at math.

Comment

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... CLID=32425

Comment

Not to try to temper the enthusiasm too much, but note that he's only a couple of months (April 14) from turning 20, so he's not quite the usual callow teenager of a frosh.

Comment

Anyone who has read my other post knows I have nothing but good hopes for the guy. But a word of warning here: Idaho is at slightly higher altitude, which means faster approach speed that equals a higher jump (that's why there is an altitude adjustment for some running event times).

He'll top this mark, but I hope people remember to cut him some slack as far as expectations the next time he jumps at sea-level.

Comment

To all,
              His schedule the last year has been to improve his takeoff so that a 5 m. grip would be possible and to improve the effective clearance to 42" (19' 3"). His senior year was hindered by the broken thumb so he was only able to grip at 4.90 with a clearance of 35" (18' 3"). Hopefully the coaches at UofO will continue this progression as I am sure that Tommy will continue to try his hardest to make these facets come true. He has accomplished every goal in training I have set forth for him since starting to coach him when he was a 7th grader. All along the way I have found him and his family to be of the highest quality and now are some of my closest friends.

7th grade-14'6
              8th grade - 15'6
              9th grade - 16'
              10th grade - 16' 10"
              11th grade - 17'7" (National Junior Champ)
              12th grade - 18'3" (National Junior Champ, HS Record)
              Freshman - 18' 8" so far......

It will be fun to watch the future unfold before us.

Rick Baggett

Comment

14'6 as a 7th grader?!
                Was he preternaturally mature for his age? How did he have the speed and strength to do that?

Comment

Thanks for the post Rick,

Tommy should be great fun to follow over the next decade(?). Great to see the US having such promising young talent. Makes me miss the good old days of going up to Jonesboro, Ark. to watch the 'gang' train and compete.

Comment

hes a diaper dandy ,numero uno ,SUPERDUCK! Dickey V.

Comment

Tommy Skipper

18.8 wow. Go Tommy, seems like yesterday we were haveing track meets together. He's come along way and hope the best for him. I know he will make it to the olympics!! Good luck on the next meet!!

Comment

Working...
                      X