Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no high school "season of sport" impact?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no high school "season of sport" impact?

Southern Section CIF this year has moved to eliminate season of sport restrictions. I guess this means any coach can have unlimited contact with athletes, practices and competitions any time they can be arranged.

I know this has been implemented in other areas. What has been the impact on high school sports programs?

Will year-round football eliminate a lot of sprinters, jumpers and throwers from track teams?

Will year-round practices improve performances or cause burn out?

Will teams compete for facilities that used to be alloted by season?

Other effects?

Hopefully high school ADs will recognize that it's not good for the school to have all their athletes only playing one sport and implement in-house restrictions.

Comment

Re: no high school "season of sport" impact?

Originally posted by jhc68
      Southern Section CIF this year has moved to eliminate season of sport restrictions. I guess this means any coach can have unlimited contact with athletes, practices and competitions any time they can be arranged.

I know this has been implemented in other areas. What has been the impact on high school sports programs?

Will year-round football eliminate a lot of sprinters, jumpers and throwers from track teams?

Will year-round practices improve performances or cause burn out?

Will teams compete for facilities that used to be alloted by season?

Other effects?
      I coached cross-country & track in the Southern Section 1967-1979. "Season of Sport" restrictions were introduced after a couple of years. I saw no difference in either situation.

Most athletes are enrolled in a physical education class for their varsity sport, so that gives them 1 hour/school day off-season. Clubs provide more competition & training for the most dedicated athletes while other sports, marching band, jobs & video games occupy the time of the marginal athletes.

Most coaches prefer that their athletes are in another sport. Coaches who want to force their athletes to specialize will probably lose athletes. All of the above questions are valid, but I always had "Gleason's Rule." I would look at the athletes who were returning & divide by 2 to estimate my team.

High school athletes are subject to changing interests (sometimes burn out), injuries, even moving to another city & the dreaded "Senioritis" which usually meant job-car-girl/boy friend & loss of interest.

I have countless examples, but the key is teenagers are developing their personalities regardless of "Season of Sport" rules.
      none

Comment

Working...
      X