Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stacy smashed two WR barriers tonight -- 14 and 15!

She took second to Jen but set a world indoor record for W35 age group of 4.61 (15-1 1/2). Listed W35 world indoor record is 4.25 (13-11 1/4) by Romania's Gabriella Mihalcea in 1999.

This is Stacy's highest indoor jump since 2004, when she set the indoor AR of 4.81 (15'9ΒΌ").

Nice job, Stacy!

And not to be overlooked: 46-year-old Teresa Vaill won the USATF mile racewalk title in the first event at Millrose, clocking 6:51.33 and telling USATF afterwards: "We need more young people in the sport." I'll say.

K E N
    K E N

Comment

Hooker looked awesome. Totally looked WR-capable.

Comment

How close were Hooker's attempts ? According to iaaf.org very close :shock:

Comment

They were close enough to leave little doubt that BCBaroo is right--it would not shock me to see him breaking the WR within the next year or two. I don't think I've felt that way about any other vaulter since Bubka.

Comment

Hooker's 6.16 attempts. Has plenty of height over the bar on his 3rd and drags it off with his chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xztv6ZbH4hA

Comment

In a reply to a question about the Trials selection Logan stated that all options are on the table. What does that mean? As I have stated before I really find it hard to believe that USATF will ever allow it's stars to avoid the trials cut throat method.

By the way, when you need to be corrected by Larry Rawson, you need to get another job. Since when was Siberia a country?

Comment

did nbc show any of hooker's jumps? reports are he came very close on the first two at 6.16. i went out of the room for a few minutes when i saw costas and collinsworth shilling for the super bowl at the start of what was supposed to be the millrose telecast. but i watched most of it. did i miss it? or did nbc blow it off?

Comment

Originally posted by fieldguy
                  did nbc show any of hooker's jumps? reports are he came very close on the first two at 6.16. i went out of the room for a few minutes when i saw costas and collinsworth shilling for the super bowl at the start of what was supposed to be the millrose telecast. but i watched most of it. did i miss it? or did nbc blow it off?
                  It was on last night. And being non-USA and male that was enough.

Comment

So can we expect some sudden rule changes that again make it more difficult to assail Bubka's record? A cross bar with round bar ends? I'm only half kidding here...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                      In a reply to a question about the Trials selection Logan stated that all options are on the table. What does that mean? As I have stated before I really find it hard to believe that USATF will ever allow it's stars to avoid the trials cut throat method.
                      My ears perked up when he said that! It means he finally got my memo that the Trials are going to be 'first two past the post' and then 'further consideration', which does NOT mean 'committee in smoke-filled room'; it means rules in place that determine 3rd spot, or further competition. 8-)

Comment

I did not see the attendance in any of the news reports but it did not look good in person - maybe 10,000 if we were lucky. Being before Boston instead of after it probably did not help.

Anything else of note in the Doug Logan interview?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          My ears perked up when he said that! It means he finally got my memo that the Trials are going to be 'first two past the post' and then 'further consideration', which does NOT mean 'committee in smoke-filled room'; it means rules in place that determine 3rd spot, or further competition. 8-)
                          There is no way there is going to be first 2 and then....The stars would all skip the trials or the equivalent, not take them very seriously.

Comment

There is no way there is going to be first 2 and then....The stars would all skip the trials or the equivalent, not take them very seriously.
                            As sacrilegious as this may sound, and as much as I want EVERYONE at the Trials trying their best . . . I would be willing to exempt some superstars, probably a half dozen of each sex, most probably WC or OG medalists in the last calendar year, or, say, defending two-time National Champions, who are obviously injured, from competing. There would be a protocol for applying for an exemption. There would also be a caveat: they would have to show fitness, maybe even the A Qualifying Standard, within 2 months of the Trials, to be eligible for the waiver. I'm spit-balling here, but I think so is Doug Logan, and I for one (and only?) congratulate him for thinking outside the box. I HATE, HATE, HATE it when people explain the way they do something by saying, well, that's the way we've always done it. There may BE better ways to skin the cat. Maybe the current way IS the best, but we owe it to ourselves to TRY other ways. Try something new for 2011 and then perfect it for 2012. We are begging the BCS to find a better way for NCAAF and they're trying. So should we.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbowie
                              This shit happens every year. My local NBC affiliate is not carrying the meet tomorrow. They have a car show. I live in Lexington, Kentucky. Crap.

How am I going to get my Larry Rawson fix.

Where in the hell am I supposed to get my quota of absurdly constructed sentences that end in phrases such as "...did Larry Rawson?"
                              Try Yoda from Star Wars.

Comment

Nothing, zero, nil in Saturday's New York Times. I thought that since the ESPN2 telecast was over by 8:30 E.S.T. "time constraints" couldn't be the answer. Nothing. zero, nil in Sunday's New York Times (though there was a half page picture of some football player's tatoos!).
                                Sunday's NBC broadcast starts out with some drivel about the Millrose being the opening lead-in to 2012, as if everything is just a warm-up for and doesn't count except for the Olympics. I mean, does every baseball game start off with a reminder from the broadcasters that it is the lead-in to the World Series?
                                Sunday's NBC broadcast ends with telling the viewers that Lagat's victory in the mile was the performance of the meet. I guess NBC never learned about Hooker's 6.01.
                                There is something depressingly moribund about USA Track & Field's promoting of the sport.

Comment

Working...
                                X