X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian
    replied
    Re: Lack of Press For Marathon Trials

The talking head that was on just before Millrose summed it up when he said at the end of his report on who made the team, "The marathon has never been a top event for the US."

I might have gotten the exact words mixed up, but the message was clear: we in the media don't give a damn unless you have a good chance to WIN IT."

Their bottom line: The best way to get coverage is to get another Shorter/Rodgers/Salazar-type who does well against the world that they CAN'T ignore.

Leave a comment:

• sl
    replied

That echo you hear is the voice of Dennis Mitchell at the '96 Olympic Trials in Atlanta telling the crowd over the PA, "I'm Barcelona bound!"

On second thought... that couldn't be the echo... since there is no more Atlanta Olympic track stadium for anything to echo in.

>if you saw usatoday....the headline had the guys qualifying for
    >SYDNEY!!!

Leave a comment:

• az2
    replied

So usatoday fixed it..

here's the local philly mention...

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/7908361.htm

it's at the bottom following the story.

Leave a comment:

• 5k Guy
    replied

I guess it would not have bothered me so much but in todays Charlotte Observer they mention the winners of the Tokoyo marath (2:08 at least) but also a nother marathon in which the winning time was 2:18?????

I can't figure these guys out. Mention a 2:18 marathon but not the US Trials which was 2:11. And butting in prelims from a meet but not the finals. Someone is definately asleep at the switch at the Observer.

If you don't want to cover it fine but at least be consistent.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

<When Americans decide to run under 2:11, then the press may think about some coverage.>

Dream on! Even quality meets have piss-poor coverage in mainstream media. Before you could access the results online, I usually had to wait for T&FN to read about them.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>if you saw usatoday....the headline had the guys qualifying for SYDNEY!!!

Someone must have noticed:

http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/2004 ... 09364s.htm

Leave a comment:

• einnod23
    replied

When Americans decide to run under 2:11, then the press may think about some coverage.

Leave a comment:

• az2
    replied

if you saw usatoday....the headline had the guys qualifying for SYDNEY!!!

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Go here for a discussion on this very thing:

http://www.letsrun.com/2004/trialsmedia.php

Leave a comment:

• 5k Guy
    replied

sorry for the typos. That should have read ...
    "the winner of the Tokoyo Marathon and a minor international marathon."

Leave a comment:

• 5k Guy
    started a topic Lack of Press For Marathon Trials

Lack of Press For Marathon Trials

Just wondering if the newspaper where you are are as bad as the one in Charlotte, NC.

They made no mention to the U.S. Olympic Men's Marathon Trials over the weekend (Sat, Sun or Mon) yet they posted the name if thw inner of the Tokoyo Marathon and minor International Marathon in this morning paper.

Unfortunately it this is about par for the course for The Charlotte Observer. They routinely publish part of track and marathon results as filler with no regard to substance. Last year they publish heat results from a major championship one day and then never posted the final results in the following days.

Is the Observer unique or are your newspapers just as bad about its Track and Field Coverage.
Working...
X