Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like college track and field statistics?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Re: Do you like college track and field statistics?

Originally posted by TrainerPhil
    Hmmm, I love statistics so this kind of site is my wet dream.

Since I coach on the middle school level I took a look at the statistics and man are you missing out on Florida. The best times are run by middle schoolers are here in Florida. you might wanna try FLrunners.com for results......

But it's as great site.........good work.
    I'm only really involved with the college stuff on athletic.net. I don't think anyone there is trying to compile nationwide middle school rankings, that would be almost impossible since so few results at that level are posted online. The site is really geared for coaches to be doing the data entry, I just happen to have a compulsive desire to do the college stuff (college coaches still have full control over their data if they sign up).

There are a lot of great features on athletic.net that make it appealing to middle school coaches, like school records, tracking an athlete's stats, the ability to link an athlete's middle school stats to their high school stats, completely free meet registration, and the ability to embed your data on other sites.

Leave a comment:

• TrainerPhil
    replied
    Re: Do you like college track and field statistics?

Hmmm, I love statistics so this kind of site is my wet dream.

Since I coach on the middle school level I took a look at the statistics and man are you missing out on Florida. The best times are run by middle schoolers are here in Florida. you might wanna try FLrunners.com for results......

But it's as great site.........good work.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Re: class years

Originally posted by bushop
    Where do we send corrections (ie. class years)?
    Coaches/SIDs can sign up for a free coaches account and fix it themselves, but you can also email me [email protected] and I will take care of it.

The grades get extracted from the meet results, so if they're listed incorrectly in the first meet of the year, they stay wrong until someone goes in and changes it.

Leave a comment:

• NormZylstra
    replied
    class years

Where do we send corrections (ie. class years)?

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Since I don't have a visual representation of what you are saying, I am completely lost :cry:

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower
    I have preliminary 2010 College Track & Field Schedules posted on athletic.net as a big master list.

Indoor 2010: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/M ... R=2001&A=1
    Oh gaaaaawwwwwd - the indoor season is still 2 months away!

Thursday, December 03, 2009 Lynchburg VA Liberty Kickoff
    [rolling winking smirking eyes!]

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    I have preliminary 2010 College Track & Field Schedules posted on athletic.net as a big master list.

Indoor 2010: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/M ... R=2001&A=1
    Outdoor 2010: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/M ... R=2001&A=1

Lots of schools don't have their calendars posted yet. Feel free to let me know of any meets that are missing that have info posted online. I will be updating the list throughout the fall/winter.

During the season, all of the results get entered in the database. You can see the 2009 stats here: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/College/

I hope that some post-collegiate or redshirting athletes find this helpful, it's a good starting point for locating meets in your area.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by kamikaze7
    One word : Impressive

One issue that bothers me is that most college T&F websites do not ist school records.
    Most conference T&F websites do not list conference records. Anyone know where I can find such data ?
    Many conferences don't keep records. You'd be surprised how many colleges don't even have a good tab on their school records.

If it's not listed online you'd have to contact the school or conference.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Originally posted by kamikaze7

One issue that bothers me is that most college T&F websites do not ist school records.
    Most conference T&F websites do not list conference records. Anyone know where I can find such data ?
    I've generally been able to find school records on a given university's website--Kentucky, Louisville, Colorado, North Carolina, Duke, Furman, Western KY, Murray St., East Tennessee ST. quickly come to mind--but they're often hard to find. There usually is not an obvious tab on the school's T&F page. Sometimes it's under "history", often in the T&F media guide.

Leave a comment:

• kamikaze7
    replied

Leave a comment:

• richxx87
    replied
    Polevaultpower,
    Great, great, great! I had seen this post earlier and was too busy to browse the site. Now that I have .... wow! It's just been saved and stored at the top of my bookmarks list.
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Chris McCarthy
    replied
    Great work!!

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    OK we got the college calendars cleaned up and ready to go, I just have to keep adding more meets:

College Indoor 2009: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/M ... R=2001&A=1

College Outdoor 2009: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/M ... R=2001&A=1

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay
    My gosh, where did someone get the raw data for your HS? I mean, to see that some kid named Jeff Hudon ran the 1600 in 5:32 in 1979....boxes of old pencil-and-paper duel meet result sheets gathering dust in the retired AD's garage attic? Do high schools keep that sort of info for 30 years?
    Our AD was the head coach since back in the 70s until a few years ago and basically got the track program started. I think there are a handful of marks that date back to the 50s, but we have pretty solid records starting in the 70s. Every year he wrote down each person's season bests.

I don't know when they started publishing our track annual... probably something Rod started when he came on board in the 90s. Anyway, every year at the beginning of the season they give all of the kids a book with all of the track stats for the team. It has all-time lists, all-time lists by grade, everyone who has ever scored at state, etc etc.

So when athletic.net came out, our coach Rod Wilcox entered ALL of that date into the system.

These are the people who got me started in track and field and fostered my love, not only for track, but for track stats. When I was in HS, girls pole vault was new and I had the darnedest time trying to find marks from other girls in my small division. That led me to start doing performance lists for high school vaulters in Washington, which I did from 2001-2007. I no longer do them because athletic.net is better, but I am an admin on athletic.net and add in any pole vault marks for WA that go missing.

So if you want a glimpse of where people like me come from, you can look at my high school's page on athletic.net

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay
    Originally posted by polevaultpower
    Originally posted by Texas
    Alwayed wanted to find someplace that had all the school records. Who holds the 400m school record at Grambling? How about the long jump record at Minnesota?[/quote

It is possible for a school to go back and load all of their results from past years to get school all-time lists. My high school did this: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/S ... hoolID=345

Especially cool at the high school level because it allows you to everyone who has ever done an event, and break it down by grade records.

However, it takes an ambitious parent/SID/coach with a lot of time on their hands.
    My gosh, where did someone get the raw data for your HS? I mean, to see that some kid named Jeff Hudon ran the 1600 in 5:32 in 1979....boxes of old pencil-and-paper duel meet result sheets gathering dust in the retired AD's garage attic? Do high schools keep that sort of info for 30 years?
    Of course some people--long-retired coaches-- do. I have the hand-written dual meet result sheets from my high school from 1931. By 1935 the track manager had taken to typing the results!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X