Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Powell Beat Bolt? WR?

http://eng.rusathletics.com/nov/novw.php?ind=3296

Want to know what other top-14 athletes (per event) are up to in 2009?

http://athletesinthenews.blogspot.com

Powell Opens 2009 With 47,75
    This is very good news. I've often thought that if he took the 400 a little more seriously and the 200 much more seriously, he wouldn't have that odd habit of losing after building great leads. I would love for him to challenge Bolt, and Gay and Dix to challenge the Jamaicans. All 4 could/should be in the 9.7s this year (that's me doubting that Bolt will run 9.6x this year, though obviously I'd love him to).

How 'bout a 2009 year list like this?

Bolt 9.71
    Powell 9.72
    Gay 9.75
    Dix 9.77

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      This is very good news. I've often thought that if he took the 400 a little more seriously and the 200 much more seriously, he wouldn't have that odd habit of losing after building great leads.
      What is the good news? More seriously than what? This is the fourth straight year that he's opened his season with a 400m.

Comment

48,76 around this time last year in Kingston; 47,67 in 2007 at this meet; 48,28 in 2006 at same venue.

Comment

I honestly believe that Asafa Powell suffers from some sort of big race phobia. Until he finds some way to get over this problem/situation he'll always be a 9.7 guy who can't break a 9.9 when it counts. Not sure what he can do about it however. I do know he needs to stay away from the 200m, all ever accomplishes there is some injury. Yes I'm all over over distance training and "speed endurance" but in his case.........

Comment

I had to look up Powell's 200m PB - 19.90 in 06 in Kingston. I couldn't remember watching him ever run a 200m. Obviously he has the potential to go faster, I just wonder how much?

Maybe Bolt's ascendancy has taken a lot of the weight of expectation off his shoulders and he'll feel less pressure? I note that most people on here are looking to Tyson Gay and Walter Dix to challenge Bolt in 2009, not Powell. Although that may be natural as we're on an American bulletin board!

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
              I had to look up Powell's 200m PB - 19.90 in 06 in Kingston. I couldn't remember watching him ever run a 200m. Obviously he has the potential to go faster, I just wonder how much?
              reports are that he ran an easy curve ( to protect his groin ) ran it hard in stretch to about 10m out where he cruised in

easily a 19.70 - 19.75 if he was willing to take the risk that day

anyhows, 9.70 - 9.75 basic ability -> ~ 19.40 - 19.50 ability for an = strong 100/200 guy

he isn't likely to be = strong, but 19.6 is very possible

Comment

Re: Powell Opens 2009 With 47,75 in Kingston

Originally posted by EPelle

That's quite a nifty set-up. I assume it operates of a Google News feed based on athlete names. This throws up some crious results. For example, the Sarah Jamieson search results ina handag review by some woman of the same name in the UK. Gary Reed appears to have a sideline in poker administration and local policing Kim Smith somehow manages to combine her racing within judicial responsibilities in Washington... and on it goes... perhaps an event specific qualifier needs to be added to the search terms?

Comment

oops, double post... ops:

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                    Originally posted by EPelle

That's quite a nifty set-up. I assume it operates of a Google News feed based on athlete names. This throws up some crious results. For example, the Sarah Jamieson search results ina handag review by some woman of the same name in the UK. Gary Reed appears to have a sideline in poker administration and local policing Kim Smith somehow manages to combine her racing within judicial responsibilities in Washington... and on it goes... perhaps an event specific qualifier needs to be added to the search terms?
                    Yes, working on that one. Gary Reed and Tyler Christopher typically draw very odd things not track & field news... as did Alan Johnson.

Comment

This is very good news. I've often thought that if he took the 400 a little more seriously and the 200 much more seriously, he wouldn't have that odd habit of losing after building great leads. I would love for him to challenge Bolt, and Gay and Dix to challenge the Jamaicans. All 4 could/should be in the 9.7s this year (that's me doubting that Bolt will run 9.6x this year, though obviously I'd love him to).

Bolt 9.71
                      Powell 9.72
                      Gay 9.75
                      Dix 9.77

I guess Richard Thompson is the Rodney Dangerfield of sprinting, but being in the same incoming freshman class at LSU as X-man got him used to that role.

Comment

Bolt 9.71
                        Powell 9.72
                        Gay 9.75
                        Dix 9.77

Because a couple exceptional guys ran sub 9.8 last year, does not make it contagious you know.

Comment

it was 3

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
                            I honestly believe that Asafa Powell suffers from some sort of big race phobia. .......
                            he's got otteyitus

i actually can't think of a bigger choker any suggestions ??

at least The Queen uually got a medal
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Christine Arron?

Comment

Working...
                              X