Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mump boy
    Originally posted by Texas
    I honestly believe that Asafa Powell suffers from some sort of big race phobia. .......
    he's got otteyitus

i actually can't think of a bigger choker any suggestions ??

at least The Queen usually got a medal
    To be fair to Merle, I'm still convinced she won in '92 (sorry guys).

I'm beginning to think it's like Kelly Sotherton's javelin - the problem'll get better if everyone stops going on about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Henry
      Because a couple exceptional guys ran sub 9.8 last year, does not make it contagious you know.
      Actually, it does. With two guys there, the other elites know they have to step it, just to stay competitive. Gay and Dix have the innate ability, they just have to mine it out more efficiently. With each year until 29, the speed stays and the strength can increase. Greater strength = longer stride length, because greater force is put into the track, ergo faster times.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        Originally posted by Paul Henry
        Because a couple exceptional guys ran sub 9.8 last year, does not make it contagious you know.
        Actually, it does. With two guys there, the other elites know they have to step it, just to stay competitive. Gay and Dix have the innate ability, they just have to mine it out more efficiently. With each year until 29, the speed stays and the strength can increase. Greater strength = longer stride length, because greater force is put into the track, ergo faster times.
        There is some sense in what you say, but the correct interpretation should be that faster times will be impetus for the other guys to optimise there full potentials. This does not mean that they all have the same potential of going below 9.8 or spectacular low 9.7s. But we are open to see what happens.

Comment

we are only talking about 1 guy - dix

the 2 jamas & tyson have already gone <9.8

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
            we are only talking about 1 guy - dix

the 2 jamas & tyson have already gone <9.8
            That's if you believe that Gay's 9.77 had an accurate wind reading, even with the three quarterfinals having the same wind reading and 10 guys setting a PR in the quarterfinal with none able to match or better that PR later in the meet or the rest of the entire year.

I personally am not one of those believers, and I am not alone. In my mind Gay is a potential sub-9.8 guy, not an actual one yet. Neither do I believe Lalova's 10.77.

Comment

i'm not sure how delusional one has to be to compare the 2nd most anticipated series of races in a year with that off a 1-off meet with various east/mid european gals of mostly 11.3/11.4 calibre ???

as for the 3 races having 1.6 wind, the 1st round heats earlier in day had initial 3 races with winds of 1.7, 1.8 & 1.4 - almost metronomic consistency with wind with excellent clockings, replicated later in day with ultra-consistent winds - precedence had been set for very consistent winds, but you chose to ignore it or plain didn't know

as for setting of prs, you quite clearly are incapable of seeing the big picture

the 100m there was seen in most discerning fans eyes as a showdown between 2 men & they are the clockings that matter most

result ?

tyson 9.77pb but intrinisically inferior to his 9.84 ( -0.5 ) from same meet year before - if i'd been told beforehand he'd get a 1.6, i'd have expected at slowest a 9.74, so 9.77 actual was disappointing

dix runs a derisory 10.02 behind him - this from a 9.93 basic guy from previous year & matched it in peking

why didn't your "magic" wind get dix at least the 9.85 in that race commensurate with his known ability at the time ???

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                i'm not sure how delusional one has to be to compare the 2nd most anticipated series of races in a year with that off a 1-off meet with various east/mid european gals of mostly 11.3/11.4 calibre ????
                This is the most "off" i've ever seen your scientific precursors function. Am I to believe that you have been reduced to using realistic conditions outside of the lab like the rest of us?

Comment

what is this gibberish

what precursor nonsense ???

andostendione is precursor to testosterone

how are you going to apply that to this situation ?

as for the meets, the former is anticipated world-wide & has huge tv coverage ( & even in the past on satellite on brit tv )

the latter is so unanticipated that it doesn't even get tv coverage outside of the country hosting it

in last 5y of the meet, the only 2 performances worth even mentioning have been elvan's likely solo 3'58 ( as no one else was better than a 4'03 gal ) in '04 & lalova's "10.77"

the usual standard is sub-level II iaaf meet & the only people who generally follow it are friends/family of the athletes

Comment

Powell is set to run 400m again in Sydney this Saturday:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/pow ... 99543.html

PRs/SRs of main competitors mentioned in article:
                    Joel Milburn 44.80 (2008)/45.92
                    John Steffensen 44.73 (2006)/--
                    Sean Wroe 45.17(2008)/45.70
                    Kurt Mulcahy 45.90 (2009)

Comment

Headline hopefully not a Freudian slip by author:

Asafa Powell to ruin 400m in Sydney

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 22,00.html

Comment

Finally!

Iaaf quote:

“It's a lot easier now being in second place,” Powell admitted yesterday (22). “It gives you something to work for. I'm working hard to get myself back on top. I'm working on everything. I've been working with a psychologist and others, just so I'm ready to win when the times comes.”
                        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietmar239
                          Finally!

Iaaf quote:

“It's a lot easier now being in second place,” Powell admitted yesterday (22). “It gives you something to work for. I'm working hard to get myself back on top. I'm working on everything. I've been working with a psychologist and others, just so I'm ready to win when the times comes.”
                          powell might give us a sub 47.00
                          20201.jpg

Comment

It might be possible for him to produce a 46. He is stronger than last year; strongest he's ever been according to word from his camp. He also ran a 46.2x relay split last weekend.

From all indications he should be ready for a relatively solid 400m run and could well produce a 9.90s in Melbourne on March 5.

Comment

One of his stated goals in Melbourne is to run in the 9,9s and leave the crowd with a mark worth their while; this is his third time down under.

Comment

i get a guestimate that if you do have a solid 400 pb to start with ( not worth analysing if you are 50s & improve to 49 ), for every 1s you take off it, assuming other factors unchanged, you can expect an improvement in your 100m of upto

~ 0.0625s

what's his pb ?

Comment

Working...
                                X