Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldrick
    i get a guestimate that if you do have a solid 400 pb to start with ( not worth analysing if you are 50s & improve to 49 ), for every 1s you take off it, assuming other factors unchanged, you can expect an improvement in your 100m of upto

~ 0.0625s

what's his pb ?
    Why would you assume no tradeoff between greater staying power and topend speed...

Comment

i doubt any elite 100 guy woud be looking to sacrifice top end speed for "endurance"...

Comment

i doubt any elite 100 guy woud be looking to sacrifice top end speed for "endurance"...
        Just because they have intention, it doesn't guarantee the outcome...

In the end I suspect the relatively limited performances of Asafa over 400m would indicate he's not trading off much speed at all...

Comment

i doubt that is there "intention"

i suggest their intention is to gain "endurance" & keep all their top-end...

Comment

By my calculations the 45.94 he ran today bumps him to #4 on the all time 100/200/400 combo list.

Comment

It also bumps his confidence up several notches too. This is by far the fastest he has ever gone over the distance and confirms what I have been hearing about his work ethic in training this year. He definitely seems motivated to be the best once more.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
                By my calculations the 45.94 he ran today bumps him to #4 on the all time 100/200/400 combo list.
                The question now is - will he target his 200 PR next? If he drops that as well, even Bolt better start worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  The question now is - will he target his 200 PR next?
                  I don't think so ... he's known to get injured running the 200 curve, so I doubt he'll be trying any 200s again, except maybe in a non-championship year like 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
                    Originally posted by Marlow
                    The question now is - will he target his 200 PR next?
                    I don't think so ... he's known to get injured running the 200 curve, so I doubt he'll be trying any 200s again, except maybe in a non-championship year like 2010.
                    This 45.94 speaks volume to his conditioning and I gues his coach has been putting him in tight competitive situations for him to excel even if the expectation is not to win so that he can ultimately win when it is big. Running a 46.2 split two weeks in a 4x400 two weeks ago convinced his coach that he was in sub 46 condition and he was right. With his 100 meters speed powell should easily be in the sub 19.70 seconds for the 200 meters.
                    20201.jpg

Comment

well, he took his pb down from 47.67 -> 45.94 which is 1.73

using above, his 100m coud improve this year by upto 1.73 * 0.0625 = ~ 0.11s

his current pb is 9.72 ( + sniff of wind ), so he coud be looking at ~ 9.61

caveat though is, how "good" was his 47.67 before ?

to me, that looked like a semi-joke clocking & if you are the 100wr guy, you woudn't really want to post 47+ for public view - he looks like he took the 400 more seriously this year

my gut is that if he had been trying real hard in the past & after a few attempts , he musta been worth something more like ~ 47-flat at worst -> ~ 1.06s improvement & giving something like

~ 0.066s improvement

i think he shoud be looking at

~ 9.65/9.66

( still some way behind bolt who was capable of 9.60/9.61 with good RT/no celebrating )

as for 200 - i normally knock 0.25s off every 1s improvement

his 19.90 apparently was more like 19.70 with hard curve/no shutdownitis

i'd say, if he ran it hard, he shoud certainly go

~ 19.45 if he wanted it

Comment

Video of the race courtesy of a member of trackshark forums:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd_wxgdgFlY

Comment

~ 0.066s improvement

~ 9.65/9.66

( still some way behind bolt who was capable of 9.60/9.61 with good RT/no celebrating )

~ 19.45 if he wanted it

goodness gracious, what a bizarre and fanciful interpretation. Ill provide the rational explanation:

Powell finally takes a 400m race seriously and based on the way he paced it he was going for a PR and has intentions to improve further. And if that is the case he has no intention and we should have no expectation of him getting a 100m PR this year. His 200m PR could potentially go lower but no guarantee on that as he will lose some speed in his effort to gain speed endurance.

Since both he and Bolt are testing their 400m fitness they may be interested in giving team USA a very competitive run at 4x400 at the WC. Now that would help track and field immensely!!
                          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Sydney videos:

400mH W
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndtTgr5YbnE

Asafa PB
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B27AD4eX6kM

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                              ~ 0.066s improvement

~ 9.65/9.66

~ 19.45 if he wanted it

goodness gracious, what a bizarre and fanciful interpretation. Ill provide the rational explanation:

Powell finally takes a 400m race seriously and based on the way he paced it he was going for a PR and has intentions to improve further. And if that is the case he has no intention and we should have no expectation of him getting a 100m PR this year. His 200m PR could potentially go lower but no guarantee on that as he will lose some speed in his effort to gain speed endurance.

Since both he and Bolt are testing their 400m fitness they may be interested in giving team USA a very competitive run at 4x400 at the WC. Now that would help track and field immensely!!
                              Nah, this is background work for the short sprints. Its about WChamps fitness and rounds running.

Eldrick!!!!

Asafa's previous 400m PB was 47.17s from 2007. Thus, your calculation works out to 1.23x0.0625=> 9.64s

Comment

Originally posted by Gr0wism
                                Video of the race courtesy of a member of trackshark forums:
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd_wxgdgFlY
                                from watching the ideo he could run a lot faster with even the rudimentry undertanding of how to pace a 400m
                                i deserve extra credit

Comment

Working...
                                X