Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i don't believe he has any need for better strength over 100m rounds ( it looks like stress issue ) :

his 9.77 in athens was after prelim earlier & he ran 9.74wr/9.78( 0 wind ) in rieti

i do not believe a 10.2/10.1 the day before is going to take anything out of him for the next day

contrary to belief, 100m is not a purely 100% anaerobic event ( try running 100m in a 100% nitrogen atmosphere - see if you can repeat the 10.00 which is your current pb ) - it's likely to be ~ 95% anaerobic, which still gives 5% aerobic which can be improved on - thru a better 400

that 5% factor is worth looking at if everything else is exhausted...

Comment

Originally posted by Infama
      That's the 4x100, not the 400m.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick

contrary to belief, 100m is not a purely 100% anaerobic event ( try running 100m in a 100% nitrogen atmosphere - see if you can repeat the 10.00 which is your current pb ) - it's likely to be ~ 95% anaerobic, which still gives 5% aerobic which can be improved on - thru a better 400

that 5% factor is worth looking at if everything else is exhausted...
        This silliness have been debunked thoroughly and repeatedly on this message board. Why you continue to sport this fiction Ill never know.
        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

never seen it debunked here

go look at a track

a 100m is not a short distance & i don't have to dig up, but i will

http://www.coachr.org/energy_system_con ... _in_tr.htm

In conclusion, this series of studies determined the aerobic - anaerobic energy system contribution to track running events (for males and females) of 3000m as 86% - 14% and 94% - 6% respectively, 1500m as 77% - 23% and 86% - 14%, 800m events as 60% - 40% and 70 - 30%, 400m as 41 % - 59% and 45% - 55%, 200m as 28% - 72% and 33% - 67% and finally 100m as 20% - 80% and 25% - 75%. This data fits well with recent previous research into the energetics of track events of these distances and provides specific applied information as to both the role and interaction of the respective metabolic pathways throughout track events from 100m to 3000m
          it's significantly non-0 aerobic contribution for 100m...

Comment

I see in a home-page-linked article that Asafa's coach says that AP can break the WR this summer and AP said:

Originally posted by Asafa
            "We are working on everything that we think would be a weakness (and) even what is not a problem we are still working on it. Everything - the mental part of it, strengthening and technical."
            I believe he CAN break the 100 WR. The question remains, however, can he beat Bolt? I don't think so. I'm now imagining a race where AP does run 9.6x and loses! :shock:

Comment

Marlow, Powell's chasing. Bolt has that proverbial "X" on his back and must maintain that WR-holder/Oly champ status each and every meet he enters. Powell has an advantage, I believe, when it comes to beating Bolt; he has proven he can beat him (DN Galan 2008), but the question he is attempting to answer is, "will he beat him when it counts?"

Or, perhaps Powell is attempting to break the WR in a GP meet - events where he displays his exceptional, WR-talent.

Comment

i can't see safa ever breaking the wr again if bolt runs to plan

we know that with good rt ( 0.12/0.13s ) & not messing about at the end, bolt can go ~ 9.61-basic

safa's best basic is 9.74/9.75 from lausanne last year & 9.78 from rieti year before & previously about 9.82 from those trio of 9.77s

sans wind, i can see his progression curve hitting the end of the road about 9.70 ( but we'll see if that improved 400 ability helps ) & that leaves hm nearly a full-tenth behind bolt

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                  Or, perhaps Powell is attempting to break the WR in a GP meet - events where he displays his exceptional, WR-talent.
                  That's exactly what he plans, I'm betting. I think AP is starting to realize he's a runner, not a racer. Getting back the WR is Goal #1, even if he NEVER beats Bolt (i.e., they minimize their head-to-heads, which is smart business).

Comment

i can't see safa ever breaking the wr again if bolt runs to plan......
                    Yes, but since we're dealing with human beings here, not mathematical models, we also know that we're dealing with fallible--and wildly unpredictable--organisms.

Don't forget that after his first WR, and just on the cusp of the Games, that Bolt lost to Powell in Stockholm. They're not so far apart that even a minor mistake on Bolt's part can't cost him dearly.

Comment

gh wrote:
                      Code:
                      Don't forget that after his first WR, and just on the cusp of the Games, that Bolt lost to Powell in Stockholm
                      Yes, but remember that Bolt came back and returned the favor after stumbling out of the block.

One Love!
                      One Love!!!

Comment

i can't see safa ever breaking the wr again if bolt runs to plan

we know that with good rt ( 0.12/0.13s ) & not messing about at the end, bolt can go ~ 9.61-basic

safa's best basic is 9.74/9.75 from lausanne last year & 9.78 from rieti year before & previously about 9.82 from those trio of 9.77s

sans wind, i can see his progression curve hitting the end of the road about 9.70 ( but we'll see if that improved 400 ability helps ) & that leaves hm nearly a full-tenth behind bolt
                        So maybe AP gets his magic moment of performance at the same time he gets a magic 2.0 while Bolt keeps having the 'luck of Gay' with headwinds and calm air (or worse, cross winds with no aiding component) when he has is top performances. This could easily give AP a WR or two before Bolt gets everything right, and in sprinting there is no guarantee that your body keeps it all together.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          i can't see safa ever breaking the wr again if bolt runs to plan......
                          Yes, but since we're dealing with human beings here, not mathematical models, we also know that we're dealing with fallible--and wildly unpredictable--organisms.

Don't forget that after his first WR, and just on the cusp of the Games, that Bolt lost to Powell in Stockholm. They're not so far apart that even a minor mistake on Bolt's part can't cost him dearly.
                          i'd suggest they are close to 0.15s apart on last year's evidence of peaks

that's akin to a 10.00 guy coming up against a 9.85 guy in more common "parlance"

the 9.85 guy has to screw up pretty damn bad to lose to a 10.00 guy

Comment

Forget peaks: on a far better figure, 5-best average, Bolt was at 9.754, Powell at 9.792..... 0.04 apart

Comment

you may have been a bit pushed to do a 5-race average at time of 9.72wr !

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain

To be fair to Merle, I'm still convinced she won in '92 (sorry guys).

That is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this board. Of course, being a newbie, I haven't read that much.

Comment

Working...
                                X