Neely Spence won the girls 20:43 over Ashley Brasovan 20:57

http://www.usatf.org/events/2009/USAXCC ... hedule.asp

Masters is also posted.

Comment

Twitter updates from NYRR:

http://twitter.com/nyrr_pro

Comment

It is good to see Meb running well.

It will also be very interesting to see how German does at Worlds.

Anyone care to take a guess?

Comment

Top-15. He was top-30 as a 14.22 cross country runner entering a year where he:d mile 4.01 and run 8.32 for two miles. He:s now broken 24.00 on three or four occasions this year and has that 3.56 under his belt.

Comment

Even setting aside what German has done recently on the track, take note that he dispatched Derrick by :19, just a week after Derrick's 13:44 at Washington. Scary what this class of guys could accomplish, and what Fernandez is doing right now.

Comment

i think g. fernandez is for real, with his 3:56.50 indoors in a non rabbitted race, i say he gets somewhere between 4th-8th.

Comment

Unfortunately, 3.56 doesn't stack up well against 13.00-13.10 guys over 8.000m of cross country racing. Fernandez will need to drop 40-50 seconds from his best 8.000m race to be in contention if the race is won in the 22's.

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
                  i think g. fernandez is for real, with his 3:56.50 indoors in a non rabbitted race, i say he gets somewhere between 4th-8th.
                  I'm not sure that the lack of a designated rabbit is of much importance with regard to GF's 3:56.50, given the fact that he followed Dorian Ulrey's lead through 1320y or so.

Comment

Considering Rupp was 20th, I think that Fernandez can be in the top 15. If he has a very good race he may break top 10. I still don't think we (or anyone) has a full idea of his capabilities.

As long as his body stays good (free of injury) it will be very exciting to watch this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                      Unfortunately, 3.56 doesn't stack up well against 13.00-13.10 guys over 8.000m of cross country racing. Fernandez will need to drop 40-50 seconds from his best 8.000m race to be in contention if the race is won in the 22's.
                      Off of the 3:56 (really unpressed) and his Nat. XC what do you suspect German is capable of for 5k? I would think 13:30 or very close. I don't know how many African Jrs are capable of 13:00 currently. I doubt more than a couple.

Also, isn't Fernandez going to still be a Jr. next year for world xc?

German is moving very quickly into some very thin air. He is much faster than Rupp and stronger than Rupp at the same age. I really don't know any American who has shown such range at such a young age...except...well I won't go there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyril
                        Off of the 3:56 (really unpressed) and his Nat. XC what do you suspect German is capable of for 5k? I would think 13:30 or very close. I don't know how many African Jrs are capable of 13:00 currently. I doubt more than a couple.

German is moving very quickly into some very thin air. He is much faster than Rupp and stronger than Rupp at the same age. I really don't know any American who has shown such range at such a young age...except...well I won't go there.
                        this is g. fernandez's last year as a junior.
                        i think 13:30 is conservative, he can run faster than that indoors. if he runs stanford in may with good conditions he could run about 13:15.
                        i agree this kid is not just hype, i think he is a real legitimate prospect, best american distance junior runner since at least gerry lindgren and dare i say it maybe even jim ryun.

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463

this is g. fernandez's last year as a junior.
                          i think 13:30 is conservative, he can run faster than that indoors. if he runs stanford in may with good conditions he could run about 13:15.
                          i agree this kid is not just hype, i think he is a real legitimate prospect, best american distance junior runner since at least gerry lindgren and dare i say it maybe even jim ryun.
                          What is his birthdate? I know when he graduated last year he was still 17.

As for being the best Jr...I would agree. Ryun was a middle distance guy. like Webb. You can't really compare them to German. However, I think German is still as young as Webb when he ran his 3:53 and maybe Ryun when he went 3:55?

Yet, German has shown more strength than either Ryun or Webb. Even more the Lindgern, Rupp, Ritz, Pre...

This kid has serious range!

Comment

GF born Nov. 2, 1990 according to the folks at wiki.

Comment

Yet, German has shown more strength than either Ryun or Webb. Even more the Lindgern, Rupp, Ritz, Pre...
                              My only concern about Fernandez is that he appears to be a bit injury prone, but he has great potential if he keeps the injuries at bay.

Comment

Working...
                              X