no World Junior Record for Demps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no World Junior Record for Demps

I see in the latest IAAF Newsletter that the 10.01 from the OT won't get WJR status. The race didn't have "zero control operation" done.

<<Rule 165
    19. The Chief Photo Finish Judge shall be responsible for the
    functioning of the System. Before the start of the competition, he
    will meet the technical staff involved and familiarise himself with
    the equipment. In cooperation with the Referee for track events and
    the Starter, he shall initiate a control, before the beginning of each
    session, to ensure that the equipment is started automatically by the
    Starter's gun or approved starting apparatus, and is correctly
    aligned. He shall supervise the positioning and testing of the
    equipment and the zero control operation.>>

USATF doesn't have similar rule, so it can stand as AJR (and Gay's 9.77 to win the race can be the AR).

Sounds like a USATF screwup to me. How can we run our OTs in a manner that does not meet international standards??

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
      How can we run our OTs in a manner that does not meet international standards??
      Zackly. I would put the reliability of OT results in the top 1% of world-wide results.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        How can we run our OTs in a manner that does not meet international standards??
        Zackly. I would put the reliability of OT results in the top 1% of world-wide results.
        Do you mean top 1% most reliable? Or are you questioning the actual veracity of the marks?

I have heard some grousing about those "fast sprint times"...

Just curious...

Comment

I'd put the OT timing in the top 0.001%

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            I'd put the OT timing in the top 0.001%
            Sounds pretty reliable.

Comment

Sounds like a USATF screwup to me. How can we run our OTs in a manner that does not meet international standards??
              So let me get this straight... if, for instance, Gay had run 9.70 instead of 9.77... it would not have been approved as a World Record ??!! That is absolutely in****ing incredible. Something's rotten in Denmark, either USATF's Denmark or IAF's Denmark.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                So let me get this straight... if, for instance, Gay had run 9.70 instead of 9.77... it would not have been approved as a World Record ??!! That is absolutely in****ing incredible. Something's rotten in Denmark, either USATF's Denmark or IAF's Denmark.
                Zactly. Ludicrous . . .

Comment

someone's head has got to roll & it shoud be

The Chief Photo Finish Judge

Comment

This is nonsense. Lalova's mark stands and all reports on that race is she caught a flyer. So now we are denied a world junior record because of this obscure rule?
                    I do not blame USATF, I blame IAAF. They have failed to govern the sport which is their actual job. It is their job to make sure the NGBs are in accordance, this is ridiculous.
                    Smacks of bias, as in everything else I have witnessed in our sport where it comes to US issues. I am still fuming over the lack of WADA accredited countries allowed to compete while we were threatened with decertification for having too much bureaucracy. It is far from a level playing field out here.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick

According to the rule, as quoted by gh above, the Starter and the Referee for Track Events are also supposed to participate in this process. If it didn't happen, each of them must bear a share of the blame.

Comment

plenty of current business examples of the boss carrying the can for failure

buck stops with Chief Photo Finish Judge

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman

According to the rule, as quoted by gh above, the Starter and the Referee for Track Events are also supposed to participate in this process. If it didn't happen, each of them must bear a share of the blame.
                          devil's advocate question: if they followed the USATF rules to the letter, is there any blame to be put on them? They weren't staging an international meet.

Comment

You are talking out of your nether regions.

Comment

It's mind-boggling that Griffith-Joyner's 10.49(w) stands and Demps gets bounced on this most inane of technicalities.
                              There are no strings on me

Comment

Working...
                              X