Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor Track Conversions

I am currently working on a project looking at the indexing of indoor tracks for NCAA qualifying. I know there is tremendous expertise on this message board, and people that are passionate about the sport. What I am looking for is any information regarding 200 flat tracks, 200 banked tracks, and 300 meter tracks. Currently, there are standards set up to achieve qualifying over the different sized/style tracks. There are conversions done based on those criteria. Does anyone have an opinion on if the conversions are accurate, if anyone knows of literature on the topic, or anything that is out there. I would like to know for example if there have been any scientific studies looking at what the time conversion should be from a flat 200 to an oversized 300 when someone runs a 400 meter dash.

Again, I am looking to start a discussion on this topics since we have had many more banked and 300 meter tracks built in the last 5 years, and that has changed the qualifying process making it more difficult for athletes to qualify on a flat 200 track.

Many thanks for your time.

this will give you an estimate for advantage a banked 200m track provides v an unbanked 200m one ( both = dimensions ) for any race distance ( you need to know banking height )

( it's quite a bit for 200m but fizzling out by 400m )

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... ht=banking

300m tracks is not easy & there is some round-about stuff in archives which will get you an answer but rougher estimate than above - you need to contact JRM for gold-standard answer

Comment

Currently, the advantage is really to the oversize tracks. All the "last chance" meets on small tracks died off, when the coaches figured out the best places to qualify. I'm guessing that 75% of auto marks in 200, 400, 4x4 (and 800, mile, 3k, 5k) are on oversize tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
        Currently, the advantage is really to the oversize tracks. All the "last chance" meets on small tracks died off, when the coaches figured out the best places to qualify. I'm guessing that 75% of auto marks in 200, 400, 4x4 (and 800, mile, 3k, 5k) are on oversize tracks.
        It is not all about the technical advantage of the track. In addition to what advantage there might be, there is better competition at the level of qualifying marks and that helps the distance runners, at the very least. In addition, there may be a placebo effect, so athletes expect to do better.

Comment

Information

If you wish to send me a personal message (pm) with an email address I have some information which may be of interest to you.

NMZOO

Comment

[quote="26mi235"....
            It is not all about the technical advantage of the track. In addition to what advantage there might be, there is better competition at the level of qualifying marks and that helps the distance runners, at the very least. In addition, there may be a placebo effect, so athletes expect to do better.[/quote]

And then the level of competition--and the motivation--ramp up even farther at the Conference level. But do the marks go up or down at that point, once back on a legal track?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
              I'm guessing that 75% of auto marks in 200, 400, 4x4 (and 800, mile, 3k, 5k) are on oversize tracks.
              ...or set at Fayetteville.

Comment

but one of the problems--at least as the empirical evidence strikes me--is that these big OT monsters are markedly faster than Fayetteville, which is already viewed as an aberration by some/many.

Comment

[quote=gh]
                  Originally posted by "26mi235"....
                  It is not all about the technical advantage of the track. In addition to what advantage there might be, there is better competition at the level of qualifying marks and that helps the distance runners, at the very least. In addition, there may be a placebo effect, so athletes expect to do better.[/quote

And then the level of competition--and the motivation--ramp up even farther at the Conference level. But do the marks go up or down at that point, once back on a legal track?
                  The level of competition ramps up but typically the times do not in races longer than 400 and especially in the mile and above. Key players are often in multiple events, some with heats, and the best are looking at peaking for Nationals. This is often not conducive to fast times - look at the continual stream of remarks about HS runners able to win the Big Ten mile.

Comment

[quote=26mi235]
                    Originally posted by gh
                    Originally posted by "26mi235"....
                    It is not all about the technical advantage of the track. In addition to what advantage there might be, there is better competition at the level of qualifying marks and that helps the distance runners, at the very least. In addition, there may be a placebo effect, so athletes expect to do better.[/quote

The level of competition ramps up but typically the times do not in races longer than 400 and especially in the mile and above. Key players are often in multiple events, some with heats, and the best are looking at peaking for Nationals. This is often not conducive to fast times - look at the continual stream of remarks about HS runners able to win the Big Ten mile.
                    Also lacking at the conference meets are one or more rabbits for each time trial, er, race.

Comment

Working...
                    X