Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sotherton jumps on Blonska's case [split]

Some good quotes from Sotherton in yesterday's Daily Mail. Given the source, it's a bit tabloidy, but it's interesting nonetheless:
    'During our long jump event in Beijing I saw Blonska take something,' said Sotherton. 'I was sitting next to her during the event, watching her doing it and thinking: "You cheating cow".

'It had started when we were called out of the holding room for the long jump and I saw her husband, who's also her coach, hand her something. We were walking out in single file, with the judges in the front, and he just back-handed her something in a tissue.

'I thought, "I'm going to sit next to you and see you do it. You're cheating. I know you are". I followed her right to the long jump - maybe that's why I messed up my own long jump - and she had a phial. Maybe it was the thing that should have masked her drugs or a stimulant. But she was taking something.

'I think she thought she could do it subtly, but I decided I was going to stare her in the eye. And I thought: "Go on then, do it". And she did!

'It had happened before at the World Indoor Championships in Valencia. Then her husband threw something to her (from the crowd), which you can't do. I didn't see it but all the coaches did and thought it was wrong, but no one reported it. When he did the same again in Beijing, I reported it to the British team and they notified the athletics authorities, the IAAF, and they found something in the warm-up area.'
    'After the competition, the first five have to give a drugs test,' said Sotherton. 'You have a person who sticks with you all the time to make sure you don't interact with anyone or take masking agents.

Blonska was running away from her girl. 'This girl was trying to keep up with her and she was running off. She was probably panicking, thinking: "What am I going to do?"

'When we were in the drugs-testing room she was the last one in and there was panic all over her face.

Link on front page yesterday....

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
      Some good quotes from Sotherton in yesterday's Daily Mail. Given the source, it's a bit tabloidy, but it's interesting nonetheless:
      'During our long jump event in Beijing...
      much as i luv kelly, she is a bit clueless

there is no drug on earth that's going to mask a +ve drug test a few hours later & absurd to think inhaling something in a tissue is going to do it

almost certainly has to be some sort of stimulant ( meaning smelling salts variety, not sympathomimetic agent )

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
        Originally posted by Jon

there is no drug on earth that's going to mask a +ve drug test a few hours later & absurd to think inhaling something in a tissue is going to do it

almost certainly has to be some sort of stimulant ( meaning smelling salts variety, not sympathomimetic agent )
        exactly what i thought but kelly has never been one to ignore a headline grabbing story. while support her anti Blonska campaign fully it would have more weight with me if she was as tough on dwayne.
        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Isn't it a GOOD thing that Kelly Sotherton seems utterly clueless about masking drugs?

Comment

ignorance is never bliss & in this case it cost her

just a little background reading wouda told her it coudn't be a masking agent & steroids/growth hormone/etc have to be generally injected & take weeks to work ( they are not going to turn a 6.50 gal into a 7.00 one in 15'00 ), leaving at worst some minor stimulant ( if you even believe they do anything )

kelly got worked up into a lather over it & admits to screwing up her lj as a result of pre-occupying herself with the incident

a little knowledge beforehand & she coud have scientifically dismissed the incident, concentrated 100% on her lj & got maybe 6.60/6.70 which might have got her close to bronze

Comment

ignorance is never bliss & in this case it cost her

just a little background reading wouda told her it coudn't be a masking agent & steroids/growth hormone/etc have to be generally injected & take weeks to work ( they are not going to turn a 6.50 gal into a 7.00 one in 15'00 ), leaving at worst some minor stimulant ( if you even believe they do anything )

kelly got worked up into a lather over it & admits to screwing up her lj as a result of pre-occupying herself with the incident

a little knowledge beforehand & she coud have scientifically dismissed the incident, concentrated 100% on her lj & got maybe 6.60/6.70 which might have got her close to bronze
              Agreed. Sotherton needs to concentrate 100% - well 458975% for the JT, and admitting that she was more interested in Blonska than than getting her LJ together only confirms to me that she's got the brains of a rocking horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon

Maybe that's why Blonska tested positive then. :wink:
                http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Sorry but for another time I understand why Sotherton cannot be first and such comments only degrade her... That sounds all justification to me... Once again she didn't manage to make it as she wanted and now that the scandal has revealed started excusing.... And if it is so, why didn't she tell the situation from the beggining??? Maybe in order to be forgiven for her performance... She really disappoints me and the athletics spirit... Maybe not a 16 - year old athlete would say sth so rediculous let alone she...

Comment

Originally posted by xygo
                    Sorry but for another time I understand why Sotherton cannot be first and such comments only degrade her... That sounds all justification to me... Once again she didn't manage to make it as she wanted and now that the scandal has revealed started excusing.... And if it is so, why didn't she tell the situation from the beggining??? Maybe in order to be forgiven for her performance... She really disappoints me and the athletics spirit... Maybe not a 16 - year old athlete would say sth so rediculous let alone she...
                    So Kelly 'really disappoints' you because she didn't 'tell the situation from the beginning' but you have no comment on the twice banned drug witch.

Go away Lyudmilla.

Comment

I've never told that I support Blonska... She has been found twice guilty and of course she deserves the punishment....

The issue is another : Why should Sotherton always try to find something in order to excuse herself for her performances... ???

I actually believe tha she just cannot understand the reality : she is not the best and then looking for excuses...

Comment

I've never told that I support Blonska... She has been found twice guilty and of course she deserves the punishment....

The issue is another : Why should Sotherton always try to find something in order to excuse herself for her performances... ???

I actually believe tha she just cannot understand the reality : she is not the best and then looking for excuses...
                        I agree.

Comment

to be fair to kelly, she's never claimed she's the best, even when kluft quit the event

i believe she stated she was capable of getting at least bronze if she had her best performances & reading between the lines, if the 2 gals above her perform sub-par/mess up an event, then gold is possible

this is a perfectly reasonable attitude especially in a multi-eventer where disaster looms at every corner ( ask o'brien - strongest deca fave there has ever been back in '92 )

Comment

eldy has it correct in this instance.
                            Kelly has always maintained she was denied a medal because of this woman not the gold. Last year she called for a new medal ceremony for OTHER women who were subsequently awarded medals when Blonska was dq'd.
                            Kelly's attitude is it was obvious the woman was a cheat, and Kelly called it the minute she saw the woman return. Kind of hard to see someone suspended and return a lot better than when she was dirty!

Comment

Sotherton was indeed unlucky to be denied a medal by Blonska. The list is endless of athletes far more deserving who have been denied medals for twenty years by the cheating of others. Does not alter the fact that she is a troubled soul who has an overdeveloped need for publicity and excuse making.

She is a big disappointment to many, because her difficult temperament has not assisted her to do the business when it counted, especially in the Javelin. Her performance in Beijing was poor and the spiel from her before the OG was how she was going to perform, and never did.
                              6517 points at her age and with her record was indifferent, to say the least

She has been called a wimp by Van Commenee. He was being a little kind, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X