Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The undermarketing of Bolt

Why don't I see Lightning Bolt sports drinks? Lightning Bolt protein bars? Lightning Bolt shoes? Commercials with him whizzing by super-fast like the superhero Flash, running from New York to Miami in a second, outrunning a race car, etc.?

The corporations have dropped a big opportunity to capitalize on his post-Olympic recognition and make themselves and Bolt really rich. Now he's fading out of the memory of most non-track fans, and the marketers will have to rely on him setting another world record in Berlin if they're going to get a second chance. And even then it might be too late.

I heard there's a Lightning Bolt ganja strain being developed. Does that count?

Comment

Re: The undermarketing of Bolt

Originally posted by sprintblox
      Now he's fading out of the memory of most track fans...
      ...because he doesn't have a malt liquor can with his face on it?!?

I don't think so.

Comment

I meant to write "non-track fans." I just corrected it.

Comment

There used to be a Jolt Cola - twice the sugar and caffeine, or some such - how 'bout some Bolt Cola - "Really Gets You Up To Speed FAST!" - "Get Your Work Done In Half the Time!"

Comment

"Be a GOAT: Have a Bolt Jolt."

Ya heard it here first...

Comment

Ignoring his recent travails, how much Michael Phelps advertising blitz have you seen? And he is 10X more appealing to U.S. marketeers than Bolt. Olympic heroes' time in the spotlight is brief in our culture.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Olympic heroes' time in the spotlight is brief in our culture.
                What's the list of those who DID milk it look like?

Mary Lou Retton
                Peggy Fleming & Dorothy Hamill (sp?)
                Bruce Jenner
                Bob Seagren
                Mark Spitz
                ?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Ignoring his recent travails, how much Michael Phelps advertising blitz have you seen? And he is 10X more appealing to U.S. marketeers than Bolt. Olympic heroes' time in the spotlight is brief in our culture.
                  And I really respect the few (e.g., Eric Heiden) who didn't bother with any of that nonsense...

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Is Bolt being marketed more in other countries?

I think I agree with the sentiment of this thread. This guy is much more than just another fast sprinter, even more than just another WR holder. We all know this guy is really something special.

Is it possible, due to all the recent PED scandles, that corporations don't want to take a chance on sponsoring another superstar sprinter?

I think it may be so. Just another reason why what these cheaters have done is so heinous.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyril
                      Just another reason why what these cheaters have done is so heinous.
                      One could argue that it is the testers who created the problem. The folks in sports with minimal/no testing such as football and basketball have no problems getting endorsement deals.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Ignoring his recent travails, how much Michael Phelps advertising blitz have you seen?
                        A lot more than Bolt. I've seen Phelps on cereal boxes and in prominent roles in commercials.

Being American, Phelps has an advantage in the US market over Bolt, but being the undisputed fastest man in the history of the world and having a trademark phrase "Lightning Bolt" lends itself to more marketability than being a great swimmer (he isn't even the fastest swimmer). My imagination runs wild with all the products that could have the "Lightning Bolt" brand, and the commercials that can be made with him doing things extra fast. The marketers wasted a big opportunity in the post-Olympic months last year.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                          Originally posted by gh
                          And I really respect the few (e.g., Eric Heiden) who didn't bother with any of that nonsense...
                          Is making money nonsense?

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                            Just another reason why what these cheaters have done is so heinous.
                            One could argue that it is the testers who created the problem. The folks in sports with minimal/no testing such as football and basketball have no problems getting endorsement deals.
                            Very true. I wrote in earlier on the "NFL" thread on the "not track" board, that very few NFL athletes take roids or other PEDS - they must not as we almost never hear of them being tested positive.

They are being given endorsement deals, and accolades for being such tremendous athletes, while track athletes are now viewed as dirty cheaters.

What a joke.

Comment

They are being given endorsement deals, and accolades for being such tremendous athletes, while track athletes are now viewed as dirty cheaters.

What a joke.
                              Totally agree. I was listening to the local sports talk radio folks yesterday discussing why there are very few ad campaigns featuring baseball players compared to football and basketball players. It all comes down to the perception that baseball is now dirty (a perception based on reality) while football and basketball are still clean (a perception based on fantasyland) . That too is a joke.

Comment

Working...
                              X