• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas
    replied
    Originally posted by Dutra
    Originally posted by Texas
    Originally posted by guruof track
    Same with UTEP when Steve Williams was there. They also had Howard Williams, Harrington Jackson and Errol Stewart all in that sub 9.5 world as was that SJS gang. Garpenborg might even have been there then?
    I think Garpenborg showed up in '73 which was when all of the others had moved on.
    People forget he was a USA National champion. Still not cool with non -US citizens in USA Championship meets.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    [quote=guruof track]
    Originally posted by "guruof track":20c10eqt
    Even if Capel had stuck around, I doubt they would have broken that record. Florida has never had the discpline to break that record, similiar to the 4x4. They obviously had the talent, but the discipline of uniform and clean handoffs isnt somthing that talent can just over come.
    "Clean handoffs" in a 4x4?
    I'll try not to be to 'brutal' in my response. The clean handoff was obviously in reference to their 4x1 handoffs. The reference to the 4x4 was simply to illustrate that they have previously had talent to break records (they do have the indoor record), but lack of discpline prevented them from running sub 3

I wa[/quote:20c10eqt]

Obviously that was my feeble attempt at being funny.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied
    Same with UTEP when Steve Williams was there. They also had Howard Williams, Harrington Jackson and Errol Stewart all in that sub 9.5 world as was that SJS gang. Garpenborg might even have been there then?
    I think Garpenborg showed up in '73 which was when all of the others had moved on.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    [quote=guruof track]
    Originally posted by "guruof track":2w5dt27a
    Even if Capel had stuck around, I doubt they would have broken that record. Florida has never had the discpline to break that record, similiar to the 4x4. They obviously had the talent, but the discipline of uniform and clean handoffs isnt somthing that talent can just over come.
    I'll try not to be to 'brutal' in my response. The clean handoff was obviously in reference to their 4x1 handoffs. The reference to the 4x4 was simply to illustrate that they have previously had talent to break records (they do have the indoor record), but lack of discpline prevented them from running sub 3[/quote:2w5dt27a]
    I think you can now throw in Texas A&M with LSU and TCU on the short list of schools who have mastered the 4x100 baton pass. And add Tennessee to the list of schools that have underperformed based on their talent. Not only are the Volunteers not on the top 10 performance list, which LSU and TCU dominate, they're not even on the top 10 performer list. :shock: It still boggles my mind that a team with Leonard Scott and Justin Gatlin couldn't handle an LSU team that didn't have a single person on it that was capable of sub-10.3. :?

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    I'll try not to be to 'brutal' in my response. The clean handoff was obviously in reference to their 4x1 handoffs. The reference to the 4x4 was simply to illustrate that they have previously had talent to break records (they do have the indoor record), but lack of discpline prevented them from running sub 3

I wa

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Can you imagine LSU relay

Trinidon Holiday
    Xavier Carter
    Gab Mvumvure
    Richard Thompson :shock:

That would be 37.8x territory.

Florida should run very well, I doubt they approach the record simply due to lack of discpline on the relay. As talented as they are (and they probably will win), I just dont see them being as dicplined on handoffs as an LSU or TCU team.

Florida State will be right ther with Florida though.
    When SJS had Sam Davis..Kirk Clayton..Ronnie Ray Smith and John Carlos they had a team superior to USC WR team but never ran what they should have. Same with UTEP when Steve Williams was there. They also had Howard Williams, Harrington Jackson and Errol Stewart all in that sub 9.5 world as was that SJS gang. Garpenborg might even have been there then?

Leave a comment:

• justblaze1011
    replied

Trinidon Holiday
    Xavier Carter
    Gab Mvumvure

Florida should run very well, I doubt they approach the record simply due to lack of discpline on the relay. As talented as they are (and they probably will win), I just dont see them being as dicplined on handoffs as an LSU or TCU team.

That team does break 38....this team does.

Holiday, Carter, Thompson, and Willie. Remember, Holiday got hurt his freshman year and didn't run outdoors in 2006.

Leave a comment:

• justblaze1011
    replied
    Bernard Williams
    Bo Carroll
    Aaron Armstrong
    Geno White

This crew won NC's with a 38.3 time...going into the last leg, they were behind TCU by two to three meters...and Kim Collins was anchoring. Now if Capel was on the Florida that year (he was but turned pro after the indoor season) both teams break 38. I was at the meet at Duke.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
    Willie Perry is not on the UF roster.
    Without Perry I don't see a record chase as a reality. What happened?

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

Trinidon Holiday
    Xavier Carter
    Gab Mvumvure

Had X-man stayed at LSU for four years, not only would you have had a 10.0 sprinter replacing a 21.2 quartermiler, but here's what else would have happened:
    • 1) FSU's three-peat would have just been a one-peat.
      2) LSU would have won the three more NCAA titles (one indoor, two outdoor).
      3) Walter Dix would have fewer NCAA individual titles on his resume.
      4) The 4x100 record would have been put on the shelf for a loonnngggg time.
    Of course the folks in Gainesville might make similar claims about what could have been had John Capel stayed in school for four years.

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied

Trinidon Holiday
    Xavier Carter
    Gab Mvumvure

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by RQ
    Jeff Demps entered in 100m at FSU Relays, March 27-28

Men 100 Meter Dash University
    Name Yr School Seed Time
    1 592 Hall, Jeremy JR Florida
    2 576 Wilks, Terrell SO Florida
    3 307 Garvin, Michael Ray SR Florida State
    4 573 Demps, Jeff FR Florida
    I impatiently await the debut of Dix (who still trains there). I keep hearing amazing things from Tally. A rebuilt start, higher top-end, more endurance. The mind boggles.
    Dix has always looked a little heavy to me. I wonder what he could do if he shed a few pounds.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by RQ
    Jeff Demps entered in 100m at FSU Relays, March 27-28

Men 100 Meter Dash University
    Name Yr School Seed Time
    1 592 Hall, Jeremy JR Florida
    2 576 Wilks, Terrell SO Florida
    3 307 Garvin, Michael Ray SR Florida State
    4 573 Demps, Jeff FR Florida
    I impatiently await the debut of Dix (who still trains there). I keep hearing amazing things from Tally. A rebuilt start, higher top-end, more endurance. The mind boggles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X