Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2009 Alan Webb Thread

OK, I blinked. But I just know you all were waiting for this thread.

Latest AW result (Tyson):

Nick Willis Reebok 4:02.70
    Chris Lukezic Reebok 4:03.87
    Rob Myers Reebok 4:05.13
    Alan Webb Nike 4:05.60

I haven't seen any interviews or info about his training or overall plans for the year. I'm just here settin' up the easel and canvas. I'll let you artistes take over....

With German Fernandez cruising to a 3:56 perhaps AW has gone the way of Gabe: yesterday's news . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
      perhaps AW has gone the way of Gabe: yesterday's news . . .
      Ah, I see letsrun has moved its bulletin board over here now . . .

Comment

Just say NO, no, no, no, no, no, no.....

Comment

One thing I think we should all now realize about Webb is that the guy is completely unpredictable. Preseason results MAY or MAY NOT mean anything at all.

In a way it is fun to watch him. Every season is something different - with a surprise of some sort - good or bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyril
            In a way it is fun to watch him.
            Like a train wreck . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Cyril
              In a way it is fun to watch him.
              Like a train wreck . . .
              ...sometimes

Comment

With German Fernandez cruising to a 3:56 perhaps AW has gone the way of Gabe: yesterday's news . . .
                And Webb ran 3:57 last week. What's your point? That only one American runner can be of note at a time? It's almost as if some take pleasure in seeing a guy struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
                  And Webb ran 3:57 last week. What's your point? That only one American runner can be of note at a time? It's almost as if some take pleasure in seeing a guy struggle.
                  OK, we have new info. Thanks. No pleasure taken but my expectations are not high.

Comment

Webb's ability didn't just vanish. He is the ARH for God's sake. Its February - It really doesn't matter if how fast he's running right now.

Comment

If we've learned anything over the years, it's that there's NO BENEFIT to be gained from watching him through a microscope.

Comment

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Comment

fwiw, with malice toward none and charity for all, with no opinion about AW's history or his prospects, and with no hard feelings about the extent to which he has done me wrong by not having more success in his career, here are the actual results of the Boston mile, which was mentioned above:

Boston 7 February

1 Nick Willis NZL 3:53.54 1500 3:38.85
                          2 Pablo Solares MEX 3:54.52 1500 3:38.93
                          3 Chris Lukezic USA 3:56.04 1500 3:39.60

4 Alan Webb USA 3:57.64 1500 3:41.62
                          5 Kevin Sullivan CAN 3:59.42 1500 3:43.20
                          6 John Richardson USA 4:02.10
                          7 Rob Myers USA 4:04.47
                          8 Steve Slattery USA 4:10.87
                          -- Adam Perkins USA DNF
                          -- Darren Brown USA DNF

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                            If we've learned anything over the years, it's that there's NO BENEFIT to be gained from watching him through a microscope.
                            I second that.

For example, Algerian miler Tarek Boukensa, who sports a 3:30.92 PR and was fifth in the 2007 WC 1500m, opened up his 2009 season with a 4:00.88 (Mile) and a 3:39 1500m. Very similar times to what Webb has run this February, yet no thread started about his status And he is a bit more consistent than Webb - usually good for a top 3 or top 5 finish in GP meetings.

Statistics aside, on one recent interview, AW did say that his fall training was interrupted by a minor injury so he got a late start, so his races may not be as sharp as they otherwise would be.

Comment

But the fact remains that AW has been more inconsistent than most athletes of his caliber.

Having read something of his living arrangements I get the sense that distractions may be one of the reasons for his somewhat erratic career.

But be that as it may I am a big fan of the man and wish him the best. I guess we're all human eh boys?

Comment

Working...
                              X