Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Powell

According to Sports Illustrated, Mike is training to make the Olympic team at age 40. Maybe he can join Edwin Moses and Jon Gill? Actually, he has a better chance than any other 40 year old, doesn't he? Given the state of American long jumping, MP could be more than two feet off his PR and probably make the top three! Good luck, Mike!

Re: Mike Powell

What do you mean current state? Where have you been the last two years?

Last I checked, U.S. long jumping has been doing good without him. Pate, Stringfellow, Phillips.

And at age 40, I doubt Powell can jump within 4 ft of his PR.

Comment

Actually, KS, I have been right here on this forum the last couple of years from time to time, reading posts from people who keep wondering what has happened to the Powells and Lewis's and Myricks's and Conleys and why seemingly talented current jumpers can't perform back to their standards. I don't really think Mike can make the team or even reach 26 feet at age 40, but it'll fun if he can! Maybe he'll motivate our current elite crew... nobody wants to get beaten by a masters level jumper.

Comment

"Last I checked, U.S. long jumping has been doing good without him. Pate, Stringfellow, Phillips."

Sure, if "doing good" means jumping 27-4.

Comment

>"Last I checked, U.S. long jumping has been doing good without him. Pate,
          >Stringfellow, Phillips."

Sure, if "doing good" means jumping 27-4.

Agreed .. Yes we are among the elite in the world .. but that isn't saying much compared where the event was less than 10 years ago ... Pate, Stringfellow and Phillips are not Lewis, Myricks and Powell ...

Comment

Little known (?) Powell fact:

He has the HJ record at UC Irvine (2.15?), but not the LJ record.

Maybe he should come back as a very well rested HJ'er.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Powell jump over 26'3" just a couple of years ago?

Granted, the chances of him making the team are slim but I wouldn't count him out. Making the U.S. Olympic team is a lesson in mental toughness. Think of all the athletes who were "supposed" to make it and didn't. 1996 was a perfect example as Sean Robbins came within a round of making the team, and Kareem Streete Thompson (28'+) went home.

If anyone is mentally tough, it's Powell. It should be fun to see.

Comment

Powell jumped a legal 8.05 in 2001 and also had a windy 8.10 that year to finish 4th in the nationals. He also jumped last year, though, and only managed 7.39.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Who does have the UCI LJ record? LaMont King?

Comment

Yep, King holds the record.

Comment

Let's talk some more about the versatile Mr. King (LaMonte with an e, by the way):

In addition to the long jump, he was an NCAA scorer in what event?

At what other collegiate institution was he also the school record holder?

Comment

100 or 200 ?

He holds the Irvine schools records in these events as well.

Comment

Sorry--at what other school was he also the LJ recordholder?

Comment

Arizona State. T

Comment

Hit a wrong key. I think he scored at NCAAs in 200, but can't remember if it was UCI or ASU. He did win the 1st TAC 200, 20.08.

Comment

Working...
                              X