Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MJR
    Its only that way because literally dozens of members of this board have been actively anti-walks for years. Its insanely childish.
    It may be that way with some of the posters, but you can't call me, or Eldrick for that matter, anti-walk - we both have history of interest in the event, as evidenced by multiple posts on these forums. All I object to is hyping performances that are way mediocre in international terms as if they were the second coming. The guy would need to be 10% faster to have any chance of coming close to challenging for medals - neither experience nor funding are likely to make him improve by that much.

Originally posted by MJR
    Imagine where we'd be if the reaction was the same for the 400H. We'd be having problems there too.
    I haven't seen anyone here bringing up a 24-year old man who runs 53.5 seconds as an Olympic medal hopeful. If they did, my reaction would be exactly the same.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
      Its only that way because literally dozens of members of this board have been actively anti-walks for years. Its insanely childish. Imagine where we'd be if the reaction was the same for the 400H. . . . Its clear that he won't get any support here.
      Paranoia is unbecoming. Who are the literally dozens of 'actively anti-walk' people here? The problem is not that the the USA is just weak; it is moribund. 50-year olds score well at nationals. As is pointed out already, you can be a 'bright prospect' and still not beat the top women in the world! And no, a male 2:15 Marathoner, in this age of 2:07 being common among the elite, is not 'special'.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        Originally posted by MJR
        Its only that way because literally dozens of members of this board have been actively anti-walks for years. Its insanely childish. Imagine where we'd be if the reaction was the same for the 400H. . . . Its clear that he won't get any support here.
        Paranoia is unbecoming. Who are the literally dozens of 'actively anti-walk' people here? The problem is not that the the USA is just weak; it is moribund. 50-year olds score well at nationals. As is pointed out already, you can be a 'bright prospect' and still not beat the top women in the world! And no, a male 2:15 Marathoner, in this age of 2:07 being common among the elite, is not 'special'.
        I agree that there is no anti-walk group here. I think most people here are like me: Just ignore it. Reports of the walks are the equivalent of the latest news from Pitcairn Island.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
          I think most people here are like me: Just ignore it.
          Yup. I care as much (or as little) about the walks as I care about the nitty-gritty of:
          -the history of rear-view mirror technology
          -the cultivation of artichokes
          -the color options in plastic patio furniture
          -the political insights of Joe the Plumber
          -etc.

Comment

Have either of you guys ever actually sat and watched a 20km or 50-km race walk in its entirety? Believe it or not, these events can be quite exciting.

Would I rather watch an 800m? Sure. But I'd rather watch a race walk than a professional basketball game. It's athletics, it's competition, and it's often very good.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
              Have either of you guys ever actually sat and watched a 20km or 50-km race walk in its entirety? Believe it or not, these events can be quite exciting.

Would I rather watch an 800m? Sure. But I'd rather watch a race walk than a professional basketball game. It's athletics, it's competition, and it's often very good.
              Yes, I have, beginning with the '88 Olympic Trials. For my part, it was ACTUALLY seeing a "top" competition that triggered a process of growing disinterest and disdain.

Comment

if americans ever get a 1"18 or 3"40 guy, i guarantee the vast majority of the populace here woud stay up & watch them at an OG

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman

At the 76 and 88 Trials. Completely ridiculous.

PS: I agree ever since MJ retired Pro Basketball is boring. But just because one sport is a dud doesn't add to the glamour of another. It's not a zero sum game.

The Pitcairn Island Press

Breaking Story: Sun Rose.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                    if americans ever get a 1"18 or 3"40 guy, i guarantee the vast majority of the populace here woud stay up & watch them at an OG
                    Why would the Brits care about any race walker, let alone an American? Or is this a joke? :P :P

Comment

if oz with their limited population can produce global champs & wr holders, it's fairly obvious a sleeping colussus like america coud dominate if the event was popular

actually, brits used to be good at it - the story of don thompson winning in '60 by acclimatising in his bath-room are part of brit foklore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Thompson_(athlete)

& nihill winning silver in '64 & holding 20k wr for 4y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Nihill

besides, i prefer winners who's name i can spell :P

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                        if oz with their limited population can produce global champs & wr holders, it's fairly obvious a sleeping colussus like america coud dominate if the event was popular

actually, brits used to be good at it - the story of don thompson winning in '60 by acclimatising in his bath-room are part of brit foklore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Thompson_(athlete)

& nihill winning silver in '64 & holding 20k wr for 4y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Nihill

besides, i prefer winners who's name i can spell :P
                        I know about Nihill and Thompson. But, again, did anyone really care? :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                          Yup. I care as much (or as little) about the walks as I care about the nitty-gritty of:
                          -etc.
                          But you obviously cared enough to enter this thread and leave a comment...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                            I agree that there is no anti-walk group here. I think most people here are like me: Just ignore it.
                            Really? So how did words 'disdain' and 'ridiculous' enter your posts below that one? :?

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                              -etc.
                              But you obviously cared enough to enter this thread and leave a comment...
                              Sure, why not? The subject of "the place of racewalking in track and field" is not without interest. Racewalking itself, for me, is without interest.

Comment

The subject of "the place of racewalking in track and field" is not without interest. Racewalking itself, for me, is without interest.
                                And I think that is the attitude of the overwhelming majority. Racewalking has its place, and just because most of us have no interest in it, does not mean we begrudge anyone else their enjoyment of it. There's lots of people interested in needlepoint or insect collecting too - yay for them. There's certainly no animosity, just indifference. I like the women's hammer; not many others do. My answer to people who show no interest in the wHT is . . . that's fine; it does not diminish my enjoyment of following it, sparse as coverage may be.

Comment

Working...
                                X