X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Have either of you guys ever actually sat and watched a 20km or 50-km race walk in its entirety? Believe it or not, these events can be quite exciting.

Would I rather watch an 800m? Sure. But I'd rather watch a race walk than a professional basketball game. It's athletics, it's competition, and it's often very good.
    At the 76 and 88 Trials. Completely ridiculous.

PS: I agree ever since MJ retired Pro Basketball is boring. But just because one sport is a dud doesn't add to the glamour of another. It's not a zero sum game.

The Pitcairn Island Press

Breaking Story: Sun Rose.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    if americans ever get a 1"18 or 3"40 guy, i guarantee the vast majority of the populace here woud stay up & watch them at an OG

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Have either of you guys ever actually sat and watched a 20km or 50-km race walk in its entirety? Believe it or not, these events can be quite exciting.

Would I rather watch an 800m? Sure. But I'd rather watch a race walk than a professional basketball game. It's athletics, it's competition, and it's often very good.
    Yes, I have, beginning with the '88 Olympic Trials. For my part, it was ACTUALLY seeing a "top" competition that triggered a process of growing disinterest and disdain.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary
    I think most people here are like me: Just ignore it.
    Yup. I care as much (or as little) about the walks as I care about the nitty-gritty of:
    -the history of rear-view mirror technology
    -the cultivation of artichokes
    -the color options in plastic patio furniture
    -the political insights of Joe the Plumber
    -etc.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by MJR
    Its only that way because literally dozens of members of this board have been actively anti-walks for years. Its insanely childish. Imagine where we'd be if the reaction was the same for the 400H. . . . Its clear that he won't get any support here.
    Paranoia is unbecoming. Who are the literally dozens of 'actively anti-walk' people here? The problem is not that the the USA is just weak; it is moribund. 50-year olds score well at nationals. As is pointed out already, you can be a 'bright prospect' and still not beat the top women in the world! And no, a male 2:15 Marathoner, in this age of 2:07 being common among the elite, is not 'special'.
    I agree that there is no anti-walk group here. I think most people here are like me: Just ignore it. Reports of the walks are the equivalent of the latest news from Pitcairn Island.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR
    Its only that way because literally dozens of members of this board have been actively anti-walks for years. Its insanely childish. Imagine where we'd be if the reaction was the same for the 400H. . . . Its clear that he won't get any support here.
    Paranoia is unbecoming. Who are the literally dozens of 'actively anti-walk' people here? The problem is not that the the USA is just weak; it is moribund. 50-year olds score well at nationals. As is pointed out already, you can be a 'bright prospect' and still not beat the top women in the world! And no, a male 2:15 Marathoner, in this age of 2:07 being common among the elite, is not 'special'.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR
    Its only that way because literally dozens of members of this board have been actively anti-walks for years. Its insanely childish.
    It may be that way with some of the posters, but you can't call me, or Eldrick for that matter, anti-walk - we both have history of interest in the event, as evidenced by multiple posts on these forums. All I object to is hyping performances that are way mediocre in international terms as if they were the second coming. The guy would need to be 10% faster to have any chance of coming close to challenging for medals - neither experience nor funding are likely to make him improve by that much.

Originally posted by MJR
    Imagine where we'd be if the reaction was the same for the 400H. We'd be having problems there too.
    I haven't seen anyone here bringing up a 24-year old man who runs 53.5 seconds as an Olympic medal hopeful. If they did, my reaction would be exactly the same.

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    How is this any different than Wejo from Letsrun being hired to pace Paula to a Marathon WR? He was a member of the Pan Am 10000m team and certainly could not beat her at the Marathon. Does he officially suck? I think not. So, 6 women had better times in the OG than 1 guy who is a relative beginner in a very technical event and only doing a workout. Big deal. Its only that way because literally dozens of members of this board have been actively anti-walks for years. Its insanely childish. Imagine where we'd be if the reaction was the same for the 400H. We'd be having problems there too. Get over yourselves already. This guy is a developing talent who should be toeing the line in London. Its clear that he won't get any support here.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    but russians only allowed 3 in the race & i don't recall all 3 being in top 6
    There was only one. The other 4 who walked faster than Stroupe came from China, Norway, Spain and Italy. And four more went under 1:28 in that race.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Everytime I see this thread title, I am thinking.....Dick Cheney? Rush Limbaugh? Sarah Palin?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    Originally posted by MJR
    Patrick was doing a glorified early season workout in a domestic race & you're comparing it to the Olympic final
    womens final
    In re: the thread's title - not so much

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR
    Patrick was doing a glorified early season workout in a domestic race & you're comparing it to the Olympic final
    womens final

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    Wow you both missed the point, big time.

Patrick was doing a glorified early season workout in a domestic race & you're comparing it to the Olympic final. He dropped almost 2:00 in the process in an event that he's been doing for about 3-4 years and he's only 24. He'll hit a B standard this year & an A in a year or two after it. USATF will ignore him, offer no support and wonder why he fails to go further than that to become a medal contender just like they have for every other RWer since 2001 including medalists in the Pan Am Jr T&F Champs.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    but russians only allowed 3 in the race & i don't recall all 3 being in top 6

Leave a comment:

Working...
X