Clear All
    MJR

• MJR
    replied
    Re: more good news

Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by MJR
    Open Men
    Patrick Stroupe 1:27:34 (big PR and he's still young)
    Young or not, this time would have given him 6th place in the women's 20k race in Beijing.
    2 entirely separate and different scenarios, plus he's only been doing this for about 3 years. I won't even get into the Russian doping again.

Leave a comment:

• Powell

• Powell
    replied
    Re: more good news

Originally posted by MJR
    Open Men
    Young or not, this time would have given him 6th place in the women's 20k race in Beijing.

Leave a comment:

• MJR

• MJR
    replied
    more good news

Americas Cup US Trials winners (formerly Pan Am RW Cup)

Open Men

Junior Men
    Trevor Barron 44:26 (big PR, he qualified for World Jrs)
    top 5 finishers under 50:00

Open Women
    Maria Michta 1:46:03 (good return from major injury)

Junior Women
    Allison Chin 54:29 (3:00 PR)

Americas Cup in El Salvador May 1 & 2

Leave a comment:

• Mighty Favog

• Mighty Favog
    replied
    I'd rather naturally assume that being the #3 guy at an international competition would require some sort of qualifying time, which I'd literally never get. Let's put it this way: there is no shortage of short, pudgy, distracted, short-on-talent 37-year-old men in this country, and if a free overseas trip were upo for grabs, I'd be beaten by someone else with marginally more time and talent and, most importantly, interest.

But if I could be reasonably certain that I could get such trips by walking 13:30 miles, yeah I'd take them. Fat chance, though.

Leave a comment:

• MJR

• MJR
    replied
    Originally posted by Mighty Favog
    But I'd rather break my PR at my small local marathon than take 3rd at a meaningless national championship.
    Even if that 3rd place got you a free trip to Berlin, Mexico, South Korea or London? Along with that, you'd get more Team USA gear than you could ever possibly wear. Seems like small thinking...but its not uncommon in this sport. Just look at Alan Webb. His best event is probably the 5000 or 10000 (yes, I know he's got the Mile AR) internationally, but he won't move up and he continues to have a frustrating and inconsistent career as a result.

This nation has way too many above average runners whose talents would be better suited to race walking, but they'd rather be mediocre than excel at something. You'd rather look good than win, to quote White Men Can't Jump. Its a pretty systematic illness in these US of America now.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf

• lonewolf
    replied
    I do not disparage race walkers. I don't know the technique, except by observation, but I tried it to grocery store one evening, about .75 mile, and it was damned exhausing.. I rested by jogging home.

Leave a comment:

• Mighty Favog

• Mighty Favog
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    we shoud start a campaign :

find a regular poster/reader here who has 1y to start from scratch to enter next year's 50k & break 7"00 for 3rd !!!

where's Taffy !!!

( actually i bet MJR coud cross the divide from judge to competitor & beat that )
    I'd have to periodically go down to Dayton for some coaching and competition, but I'm quite certain I could do that. I don't think sub-5 would be impossible if I could learn good technique. But I'd rather break my PR at my small local marathon than take 3rd at a meaningless national championship.

You racewalk in the country or the 'burbs and young men will give you trouble. My experience is if you do pretty much any training in the city, the locals will leave you alone. It stands the "safe neighborhood" idea on its head.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235

• 26mi235
    replied
    I had this general impression but to see the comments of people that are more informed (even if they do not know 'for certain') certainly backs up my impression. With systematic positives at the most elite level, what is the IAAF going to do and is WADA going to start pushing for a different approach? WADA, presumably, is not at worried about hosting a costly championship event as much as the IAAF is.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    Yes, normally I'd yank the preceding, but after the Russian RW program's rash of hits last year, I'll let it stand. Like MJR, I find it stunning that coach/administrator has taken the fall.

Leave a comment:

• MJR

• MJR
    replied
    The entire russian progam is pharmacologically enhanced, so no, they can't. That coach has had more athletes fail tests than trevor graham did, but has yet to get banned.

Leave a comment:

• Powell

• Powell
    replied
    Just to put your hopes in perspective:
    http://www.iaaf.org/WRC09/news/kind=100 ... 49527.html

Can any of the US junior men come close to Mineyeva's 42:36?

Leave a comment:

• racewalker

• racewalker
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    we shoud start a campaign :

find a regular poster/reader here who has 1y to start from scratch to enter next year's 50k & break 7"00 for 3rd !!!

where's Taffy !!!

( actually i bet MJR coud cross the divide from judge to competitor & beat that )
    It is really upsetting if you are a RW fan, as am I.

Hell, back in the day, in less than a year, I went from zero to a 4:50-ish 50km. It can be done.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    Administrator

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR
    3. The Bible of the Sport rarely acknowledges its existence outside of the a few Champs results written by Elliott Denman & absolutely refuses to include the HS performance in its HS Rankings (yet they include Jav & HT which are equally obscure).
    Definitely more high school javelin throwers than high school racewalkers in the US. I think there are 13 states that have jav? And that's going to get a higher turnout than RW.

HS hammer throw is debatable. I know it's surprisingly popular in WA despite the WIAA's refusal to even make it an exhibition event. But I suspect most other states don't offer kids any kind of opportunity.

I think the RW is great, and it would be nice if T&FN gave it a nod in their HS rankings. Maybe there are too many different distances being competed to have meaningful rankings at that level.

Leave a comment:

• unclezadok

• unclezadok
    replied
    Question: is the 50 km RW the worst American event in any sport?

Not counting that thing in Thailand where they play volleyball with their feet?

Leave a comment:

• MJR

• MJR
    replied
    We definitely need more athletes doing this. BUT:

1. USATF has shown little interest in giving RWing more than lip service level support. I'm not expecting to be included in the HP report focus on technical event funding & development, even thought we should be.

2. The NCAA absolutely forbids $ to be spent on it (= an NCAA violation).

3. The Bible of the Sport rarely acknowledges its existence outside of the a few Champs results written by Elliott Denman & absolutely refuses to include the HS performance in its HS Rankings (yet they include Jav & HT which are equally obscure).

Not much of a chance of developing a program when you're outflanked by 3 separate armies.

P.S. - No way I try a 50 unless I can train injury free long enough to finish under 5:00. I don't even like going to work for 7 hrs, why would I consider walking in circles that long?

P.P.S. - If you know any dedicated runners who want to make the US Team, have them contact me. I can have them on the podium in 12-18 months in the US & there is a good chance they go to London in 2012 if they start now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X