• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJR
    replied
    Re: Hope for US RWing?

Latest Trevor Barron update:

He set a new US Jr. Record today (Sunday) at the San Diego 5,000m race walk competition at Cuyamaca College.

Trevor Barron walked his way to a 44 second PR and a new US Jr. Record with his winning time of 20:06. Andreas Gustaffson was second in a time of 20:10, and Tim Seaman was 3rd in a time of 20:46.

For the ladies, Rachel Seaman won the race in a time of 22:45, while Katie Burnett walked a 25:37 to qualify for the USATF Outdoor Nationals. Third place was Lily Cordova of Chula Vista, CA with her PR time of 29:13.

Here are the top three results:

Men:
    1. Trevor Barron, NYAC, 20:06 - PR
    2. Andreas Gustaffson, Sweden, 20:10 - PR
    3. Tim Seaman, NYAC, 20:46

Women:
    1. Rachel Seaman, Ontario Race walkers, 22:45
    2. Katie Burnett, Champions International, 25:37 - PR
    3. Lily Cordova, Champions International, 29:13 – PR

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I don't begrudge or criticize anyone's choice of sport or event and I definitely respect the times racewalkers achieve.

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary
    Going from A to B as fast as you can while keeping one leg straight, seems pretty silly, not to mention keeping one foot on the ground, which no one does anymore.

Why not races where you have to keep your arms straight out at your sides?
    That pretty much describes the arbitrary distinctions between the swimming strokes... and few people call for the exicing of butterfly, breaststroke and backstroke from the program (other than me!!)

For that matter, how silly is it that we put those barriers in the way of the hurdlers, have rules in high jumping etc?

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    Originally posted by 72
    Personally I have not the slightest interest in Walking
    Yet, you felt so compelled to comment on something you have no interest in...totally baffling! 8-)

Leave a comment:

replied
    Personally I have not the slightest interest in Walking and cannot fathom its place in Track and Field .
    However over here they like their walking and in good old Gloucestershire it's very popular pastime for all ages.
    There is I believe a sort of world champs in walking; long may it reign if it gives pleasure to competitors and watchers. I would much rather watch paint dry.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR
    This is 7:24/mile for 12.4 or 4:36/km for 20.
    I can respect that.

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    New US Jr Record for Trevor Barron, who broke his 20 km time from last year finishing in 1:31:51 today in Arizona. This is 7:24/mile for 12.4 or 4:36/km for 20.

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    Trevor Barron just got 3rd in the Millrose Mile Walk in 6:03.48. This is the fastest time by a US HS boy indoor or outdoors ever!

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Re: News & Notes, Volume 9, Number 6

Originally posted by CookyMonzta
    What's the women's masters' WR for 20K?
    Never mind. I found it.

1:30:22 Larisa Yemelyanenko RUS 25.07.64 6 Adler 17.02.2007

You think maybe if Alina Ivanova wanted to walk again, she could break this record?

By the way, here's the women's masters AR and masters' track WR:

1:33:25.15 Teresa Vaill USA 20.11.62 1 Carson 25.06.2005

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    if americans ever get a 1"18 or 3"40 guy, i guarantee the vast majority of the populace here woud stay up & watch them at an OG
    We came close. Curt Clausen once walked 3:48 back in 1999. I think he ranked 3rd that year.

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Re: News & Notes, Volume 9, Number 6

Originally posted by eldrick
    Originally posted by MJR
    The only U.S. qualifier for both events is Philip Dunn, who won the U.S. 50 km title in 4 hours 28 minutes 53 seconds. Theron Kissinger was the runner-up in 5:04:33, with Steven McCullough finishing third in 7:00:21
    shit !

a 2"30 marathoner ( a woman ! ) coud walk 50k faster than that !!!
    Be careful, mate...Some people on this board are so easy to upset that they'll scalp you at a moment's notice after that statement...

...But you are dead-on with that assessment. Alina Ivanova was a racewalker before she became a marathoner. She walked 42:57 for 10K in 1991, and ran 32:53 in 2007. She's run 1:09:30 for the half-marathon in 2007 and 2:25:34 for the full distance in 2001. As of late, she ran 2:29:20 in 2007.

She's 40 now, probably still capable of running 2:30. I wouldn't be surprised if she still has a 1:30 walk in her for 20K. What's the women's masters' WR for 20K?

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    ops: ops: ops: ops:

It's the pre-coffee posting thing again. If I had read it closely with my brain awake, I might also have known that something was wrong because the US NCAA has had fencing for many years.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    err.... read a little closer.... apparently the Philippines has an NCAA as well!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR
    We definitely need more athletes doing this. BUT:
    . . . .
    2. The NCAA absolutely forbids $ to be spent on it (= an NCAA violation).
    The NCAA is considering adding four Olympic sports to their program . . . but there's no mention of the possibility of adding one event to an existing sport. Very unfortunate

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/04/09 ... rts-events

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    US Jr 5000m record. He's 16, turning 17 this year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X