Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future 400m Star, Torrin Lawrence (UGA)

Did I miss all the talk about shining quartermiler, Torrin Lawrence of Georgia, and how he appears primed to make a run at the 200/400 meter crown?

Lawrence reportedly split 45-point in the 4 x 400 meter relay, chasing down Florida's Calvin Smith for the easy victory at the Tyson Invitational, and could contend for an NCAA Title as a Freshman.

Lawrence has tremendous range, already running 6.75, 20.77, and 46.84. T&FNews highlighted him well in high school (FL) with personal bests of 10.39, 20.89, and 46.69.

In the 2009 results thread Jon noted his 20.77 and I replied

Originally posted by Marlow
    Kid went to a local HS here - Sick Talent.
    He was superb from 100-400 and his top end speed, if used for good (400), not evil (100), will be a revelation this year. I can see him in the 44s by June. He's an X-man sort of talent. :shock:

Comment

... and if his coach has his long term future at heart, he'll eventually move him to 800 where he could be an international level talent.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
        ... and if his coach has his long term future at heart, he'll eventually move him to 800 where he could be an international level talent.
        Why stop there? Could you even imagine seeing his kick coming at you at the end of marathon??!!

Comment

Re: Future 400m Star, Torrin Lawrence (UGA)

Originally posted by Coach Rod
          Did I miss all the talk about shining quartermiler, Torrin Lawrence of Georgia, and how he appears primed to make a run at the 200/400 meter crown?
          See the Tyson thread--he split 45.1 on the relay.

Comment

Nice linked article on him. Best lines:

Lawrence, an Air Force Junior ROTC squadron leader in high school, doesn’t fit the mold of the prototypical world-class sprinter. He doesn’t wear gold spikes or predict victorious outcomes. He says insecurity motivates him.
            “I have a thing going into every race where I think I’m going to lose,” he said. “It makes me run faster. I don’t like to lose.”

Comment

This was the best one to me:

“That day I was so nervous going to the 4x4,” Lawrence said. “I knew Calvin Smith was going to be running anchor for Florida. I kind of knew that Florida was going to be in the lead when I got the baton. So I was real nervous. I just wanted to be close to them.”
              LOL. Talk about no confidence in your teammates!

Comment

Originally posted by texas_speed
                LOL. Talk about no confidence in your teammates!
                I see it as a refreshingly honest appraisal of the situation. I watched this kid tear up the track here locally all last year (his HS is in my 8-team district) and could see that his potential was still just only rudely shaped. Same talent as the X-Man, but with perhaps a more 'consistent' performance capability.

Comment

I understand your sentiment but "refreshingly honest" or not...it still indicates he's not confident in his team...right?

Comment

Why try to read so much into the statement of an 18 year old? He seemed quite confident during the post-race interview. Just enjoy him for what he brings to the sport.

Comment

Jesus...I'm not trying to read a ton into what he said....all I'm saying is if you're going to say you knew you were gonna get the stick behind the others you're not confident in your teammates abilities. What's wrong with that?

I fully enjoy what he brings to the sport and I wasn't pointing it out as a criticism of Lawrence. I just brought it up. What's the probelm with that?

Comment

Originally posted by texas_speed
                        I understand your sentiment but "refreshingly honest" or not...it still indicates he's not confident in his team...right?
                        I dont think its lack of confidence in his teammates, but more a realistic assessment. Considering that Florida has 3 runners with PRs under 47 and one of Georgia's legs runs a 47high and another splits mid 46s.

Then you also have to consider that Gaymon didnt come off leg one with the lead which is unsual as well.

Gaymon ran a 47 first leg, believe me that wont happen come NCs.

Comment

Working...
                        X