Clear All

• Olympic Distance Race Splits

From IAAF :

http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=100 ... 49357.html

http://tinyurl.com/cgsm6o

& for 4x400 :

http://tinyurl.com/bhqynu

disgracefully, nothing was organised for sprints

A quick look sees the fastest finisher of all the 800-up races was Canada's Gary reed, 4th in the 800. A terrific 12.34 final 100 to bungei's 12.95, Ismail's 12.80 and Yego's 12.52. If Reed wasn't cut off on the turn with 150m left he would have won the Gold going away and clear. Four years is a long time. I hope Reed can sleep at night.

Comment

Re: Olympic Distance Race Splits

Originally posted by eldrick

Stop being such a pain in the ass. "Disgracefully" indeed. We get the greatest set of splits in the sport's history and you piss on the effort.

With the technology used (for the first time, far as I know; pretty damned fine for an out-of-the-blocks effort) there's no splitting possible in the 200 or 400; the transponder is set to read at a common point for all runners; for staggered races you'd need a set for each lane.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        With the technology used (for the first time, far as I know; pretty damned fine for an out-of-the-blocks effort) there's no splitting possible in the 200 or 400; the transponder is set to read at a common point for all runners; for staggered races you'd need a set for each lane.
        Last time I looked the 800 was a staggered race. They appear to have nevertheless acquired 100m splits there somehow. (Those could of course be estimates like the 4x400 first leg splits for all I know, but there aren't any "estimated time" signs.)

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
          Originally posted by gh
          Last time I looked the 800 was a staggered race. They appear to have nevertheless acquired 100m splits there somehow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 800 only a 1 turn stagger? A camera on the 100m mark(at the break) would capture accurate splits for everyone.
          There are no strings on me

Comment

Note: none of these times come from cameras.... they're from chips in the bibs to transponders buried under the track.

Comment

Thanks gh - sometimes I forget the 800 isn't a sprint :wink:
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by gh

Stop being such a pain in the ass. "Disgracefully" indeed. We get the greatest set of splits in the sport's history and you piss on the effort
                no offense, but splits to 0.01s in 1'45, 3'32 or 13'00 races don't light my fire - i'd been quite happy with some hand times for the interesting splits - ramzi's last lap in that incredible prelim or kennster's last 3k in his 5k - those wouda been probably enough to gauge the quality of their runs

now splits for 100m & 200m...

Comment

no offense, but splits to 0.01s in 1'45, 3'32 or 13'00 races don't light my fire - i'd been quite happy with some hand times for the interesting splits - ramzi's last lap in that incredible prelim or kennster's last 3k in his 5k - those wouda been probably enough to gauge the quality of their runs

now splits for 100m & 200m...
                  Are we looking at different files because the tinyurl link has splits to the tenths, not the hundredths.

I think the 100m breakdown is awesome, and you can use them to easily calculate any intermediate split you want. For the two you were wondering about:

Ramzi's last 400 of his 3:32.89 prelim run was 52.9. What is really impressive about that run was that his penultimate 100 of 12.2 was the fastest 100m run in the 2008 Oly 1500 (heats or final) by any of the athletes.

Bekele's last 3k was ~7:35.4 (2000m split was 5:22.5, 5000 was 12:57.82)

Cheers to the IAAF for providing this.

Comment

Original thread on this, posted from Beijing

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=32549

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Original thread on this, posted from Beijing

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=32549
                      It seems that the splits would be available for the sprints, but the distances would be at fractions of 100s, but that fractions are known, so adjustments could be made. In many cases there would be just approximations to the 'true' time, but that is true of the straight splits as the torso is not exactly in the same orientation so it is an empirical thing, not a yes/no.

Also, why not put transponders at, say, 50m to get interesting splits on the sprints - these would always be 50m from the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X