Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fernandez may [will] skip NCAA Indoor

World Cross may take preference: see story now on front page.

Re: Fernandez may skip NCAA Indoor

Originally posted by gh
    World Cross may take preference: see story now on front page.
    All the more reason to hate CC, which I generally do. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      It's indoors - who cares? Smart move not to over-race.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
        Hmmm, run against other collegians or the best of the Earth - which will be a harder and farther race?

Comment

I'm glad to hear it. As I mentioned in the Nat XC Champs thread, I was concerned that he was bordering on over-racing. At this time of the year, being who German is, and what he may be capable of, World XC must be his focus.

There will be plenty of time to run on the track starting in April.

Comment

Hmmm, run against other collegians or the best of the Earth - which will be a harder and farther race?
            Which is it Marlow? Another reason you "hate XC" or he should race against some of the "best on Earth"?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyril
              Which is it Marlow? Another reason you "hate XC" or he should race against some of the "best on Earth"?
              You misperceive - if bad hammy doesn't want him over-raced, why would he want him to run against the best runners in the world in a longer race, on a more demanding surface? I want to spare him that by running against collegians in the NCAAs.

Comment

This time of year, healthier to prep for and race 8K on grass than 1500m on a little roller derby track.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                  This time of year, healthier to prep for and race 8K on grass.
                  You make that sound so idyllic and pastoral, when in fact, he'd have to hammer the crap out of himself in that race.

Comment

And at the NCAA he'd be running rounds on the roller derby track. It evens out . . .

Besides, as a competitor what would you rather win - a world XC title or an NCAA indoor title?

Comment

But World XC is one of the premier events in distance running. For distance runners it is the Olympics of XC. You do not overlook world XC if you have a chance of doing well. And he has a very good chance of doing very well (maybe top 10).

This is an event you do if your body is at all able. He has plenty of time for plenty of NCAA races.

If he has the potential it appears he has, there is nothing better than mixing it up in the Worlds. This will be a very valuable experience.

Comment

And at the NCAA he'd be running rounds on the roller derby track. It evens out . . .
                        Besides, as a competitor what would you rather win - a world XC title or an NCAA indoor title?
                        a. the rounds at the NCAAs will be childs play for him.
                        b. the NCAA title is a given, the WXC title, not so much (those danged Ethiopians and Kenyans keep hogging the spotlight)
                        c. the NCAA title will look MUCH better on his resume that a WXC title to MOST of his fans, who have no earthly concept what a WXC is.

But . . . his choice, and I'll cheer for him in whatever he chooses. My only point here was that the WXC is not a walk in the park, as some have intimated here. If you want under-racing, stay home.

Comment

[ My only point here was that the WXC is not a walk in the park, as some have intimated here. If you want under-racing, stay home.
                          The concern about over-racing was that, with the WXC as the focus (as it should be), he would potentially be jeopardizing his performance there by participating in several relatively meaningless track meets.

He should focus on the important meets and do what it takes to well at them. This appears tobe what he is doing.

WXC is the BIG SHOW.

Comment

a. the rounds at the NCAAs will be childs play for him.
                            b. the NCAA title is a given, the WXC title, not so much (those danged Ethiopians and Kenyans keep hogging the spotlight)
                            c. the NCAA title will look MUCH better on his resume that a WXC title to MOST of his fans, who have no earthly concept what a WXC is.

But . . . his choice, and I'll cheer for him in whatever he chooses. My only point here was that the WXC is not a walk in the park, as some have intimated here. If you want under-racing, stay home.
                            actually the world cross country is better than ncaa competition .
                            german fernandez should be applauded for facing absolute top competition.
                            he is a good role model for a lot of usa runners who make the world xc team and then the new york 5 miler or jacksonville 15k instead of world xc.

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
                              jacksonville 15k instead of world xc.
                              I would personally host him if he wanted to do the River Run 15K!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X