Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrJay
    replied
    Here's the actual Constable at the National Gallery (see above image)

I thought of drawing in a few XC runners having a really good, pastoral-sort of time, but had no crayons with me.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp
    To possibly win a world gold far surapasses an indoor/outdoor NCAA title.
    I wouldn't argue with that. But the possibility of his winning that world gold seems remote. The last time a non-African won the gold in the junior men's race was 25 years ago. Since then, only one non-African has won any individual medal in that race (Ritzenhein's bronze in 2001). I wish Fernandez all the best in Amman, and I support his decision to concentrate on that and not run the NCAA's, but I'll be very surprised if he wins the gold at the World Cross.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by ed gee
    It will be interesting to see the final lineups for the mile and 3000.

Personally, I find it a bit surprising if German does pass on the NCAA indoor meet. So many things can happen in life, he may never have a better opportunity.
    To possibly win a world gold far surapasses an indoor/outdoor NCAA title. Unless he's needed to get a team victory, which he ain't. German going for the big race shows me that he and his coach are looking at the international scene already, and given it's a junior race it's not throwing him in with bigger fish: he may be the BIG fish.

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied
    Originally posted by ed gee

Personally, I find it a bit surprising if German does pass on the NCAA indoor meet. So many things can happen in life, he may never have a better opportunity.
    I believe he *will* never have another WJ XC opportunity. Last chance.

Leave a comment:

• ed gee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Dave Smith tells RW that Fernandez will indeed skip the NCAA. Story now on front page.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    ... On the other hand you have an athlete like Manzano who has been largely shielded from taking on the best (no European tours as far as I know) and is thus remiss in the knowledge to be gained from racing the best.
    On the other hand - is there a third? - Manzano did make a great leap forward to this little Game called the Olympics last year.[/quote

As he did in the WC's the year before, and without a European season. Now that he's out of the NCAA he needs to get to Europe post trials - whether he qualifies or not.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Curious that Coach Smith wasn't worried about Fernandez overracing a week ago when he ran at Washington (the week after his xc win in Maryland)?

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    I agree that the NCAA/WX-C does not have to be an either/or situation. The concern would be too much total racing during this time period. The idea of running a couple of Indoor 3K's as sharpeners for the World Cross works very well. But running 4 or 5 Indoor Races + a couple of Cross-Country races + the World Championships would be less than ideal, from my perspective.

Leave a comment:

• runsaul
    replied
    I could understand why some people might want him to run NCAA indoors. It's a sure thing to be televised.
    Now World Cross we may not see at all. If were lucky we might see a brief minute clip during another meet. I do agree that he should be racing against the best in the world as opposed to the best collegians in the U.S. Plus he gets a chance to redeem himself after NCAA cross champs and show what he might have been able to do. I hope he runs well.

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinM
    This is obviously a decision for Smith and Fernandez to make; I'm not questioning or approving it either way as far as they are concerned.

I am surprised, however, that so many here seem to think this necessarily needs to be an either/or situation. World XC is 14 days after the NCAA meet, and the notion that Fernandez would have to run multiple races at NCAAs is completely unfounded -- the only race he could run that has prelims is the mile, and there's nothing forcing him to run that race, since he is #2 in the nation in the 3000m.

Just should note that the article does not say that the decision has been made, but that it will be discussed after Big XII.
    I would agree. I don't like overracing at this time of year but a "sharpening" 3k may be perfect prep for a peak phase heading into Worlds.

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied
    This is obviously a decision for Smith and Fernandez to make; I'm not questioning or approving it either way as far as they are concerned.

I am surprised, however, that so many here seem to think this necessarily needs to be an either/or situation. World XC is 14 days after the NCAA meet, and the notion that Fernandez would have to run multiple races at NCAAs is completely unfounded -- the only race he could run that has prelims is the mile, and there's nothing forcing him to run that race, since he is #2 in the nation in the 3000m.

Just should note that the article does not say that the decision has been made, but that it will be discussed after Big XII.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    ... On the other hand you have an athlete like Manzano who has been largely shielded from taking on the best (no European tours as far as I know) and is thus remiss in the knowledge to be gained from racing the best.
    On the other hand - is there a third? - Manzano did make a great leap forward to this little Game called the Olympics last year.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    I guess I was restating the obvious . . .
    I see. Well, I'm flattered by the individual attention, of course.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Glad to see he's doing WXC in lieu of indoor NCAA. To me it means 2 things: 1. He wants to race the best, and he knows that's out of the U.S., and that augurs well for him physically and psychologically. 2. It means he has a coach who knows that taking on the best (in his current category) is a motivating factor, not because he'll win, but because he'll be tested to the max. On the other hand you have an athlete like Manzano who has been largely shielded from taking on the best (no European tours as far as I know) and is thus remiss in the knowledge to be gained from racing the best.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X