Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hasay 2 Mile record attempt

http://www.nationalscholastic.org/nikei ... ticle/457/

Any thoughts on if she's in shape to pull this off? This early? Indoors?

It's a tall order for the shorty.

Re: Hasay 2 Mile record attempt

So what became of Melody Fairchild?

Comment

Re: Hasay 2 Mile record attempt

Originally posted by Daisy
      So what became of Melody Fairchild?
      http://www.melodyfairchild.com/staff_bios.html

Comment

I think there's a good chance she can run 9:54 on strenght alone. Its not like she's trying to run 4:33 for the mile. 2 -4:57's? Yeah.
        phsstt!

Comment

I'll say no. Her best two mile time is a converted 9:55.57 with Chetelat breathing down her neck. I don't expect her to run faster than that with less competition. I'm usually wrong about these things though.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
            I'll say no. Her best two mile time is a converted 9:55.57 with Chetelat breathing down her neck. I don't expect her to run faster than that with less competition.
            Good point. First time ever on the boards and her first race of the year too. Makes the record look like a lofty goal.

Comment

From her interview on Dyestat it sounds like an experience thing... no talk from her about sub 10 or a record... but still, wouldn't it be cool?

Comment

Nothing was mentioned about a record.

If training is going well it may be just to see where she's at and an experience thing. I believe this is her first indoor race ever correct?

The record talk is normal for the sponsor of this meet unfortunately.
                I guess to drum up interest / attendance?

I'm going so I guess it worked on this weak minded old fool eh!?!? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                  I'll say no. Her best two mile time is a converted 9:55.57 with Chetelat breathing down her neck. I don't expect her to run faster than that with less competition.
                  Good point. First time ever on the boards and her first race of the year too. Makes the record look like a lofty goal.
                  Yes, just like the German (F) guy, who had never raced indoors and it was his first race of the season (and his last race ended in an apparently nasty injury). He did have to pass Ulrey, though. He then followed it up with another pretty good indoor race (and an XC one to boot).

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                    Originally posted by bad hammy
                    Yes, just like the German (F) guy, who had never raced indoors and it was his first race of the season (and his last race ended in an apparently nasty injury). He did have to pass Ulrey, though. He then followed it up with another pretty good indoor race (and an XC one to boot).
                    For many/most of us GF's first race was, ahead of time, a bit under the radar, and I'd be surprised if anyone here really expected a 3:56. On the other hand, some of us are now looking at JH ahead of time and projecting record times. It may or may not happen. About the only concrete thing to say about it is that if she is going to set the indoor HS 2-mile record, this will be pretty much her only chance.

And she may not have to do it alone. I have not checked out the field, but Hasay has been beat more than once by HS girls, and I'm not sure many expected the battle that Laurynne Chetelat gave her last year at the CA state meet. There may be a surprise out there that keeps Hasay on her toes.

Comment

I am not expecting her to break 10, much less 9:55, although it could happen. I am guessing it is a good chance for her to get a new competitive experience and I doubt she runs 10:20 either [edit: I think that she will be faster than that].

Melody F is a personal bookend for me. In my first road race I finished behind a woman that I had started out running with but decided the pace was too fast. Turns out it was Jackie H setting a new WR at the Culver City marathon. Fifteen years later I was running Bolder Boulder and Melody beat me, the first time a woman had finished ahead of me since my first race.

She had a decent career but not at the level that many had hoped. Still making good use of life, see above link.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                        I am not expecting her to break 10, much less 9:55, although it could happen. I am guessing it is a good chance for her to get a new competitive experience and I doubt she runs 10:20 either.
                        Oh goody, a time prediction contest. I'm in with 9:59.99!

Comment

Originally posted by carlosreyes2k
                          Nothing was mentioned about a record.

If training is going well it may be just to see where she's at and an experience thing. I believe this is her first indoor race ever correct?

The record talk is normal for the sponsor of this meet unfortunately.
                          I guess to drum up interest / attendance?

I'm going so I guess it worked on this weak minded old fool eh!?!? :-)
                          I make two assumptions with regard to this race: 1) Hasay's checking out her fitness level relative to her future teammates to see which measures must be taken between now and next season; 2) Hasay has a strong chance of running indoors next season (and beyond), and is getting over the hurdle now rather than later.

Comment

Who's this JORDAY person?

Comment

Man, it just kills me that that tiny little girl is trying to match or beat my high school 2-mile best. After all, I'm the record-holder at my school. The BOYS record holder!

What an amazing athlete.
                              "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Working...
                              X