X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ukhov 2.40 in Athens!!!

Originally posted by marknhj
    Originally posted by Per Andersen
    Had attempts at indoor WR 2.44. Decent attempts but not close.
    Awesome! Any video online?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpeNIRK-IG8

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
      Ukhov just can't stop making a name for himself
      His sober jumping is 2 meters higher then his drunk jumping. I think he should maybe keep jumping without booze, but thats not really for me to say.
      phsstt!

Comment

Watched the video (short shelf-life here?). The kid has personality - I like it! Hope he keeps his head on straight, cuz the sport could use him, and he the sport. I wanna know what his off-season work-outs consist of, cuz they're working!

Comment

He may be somewhat inconsistent at times, but there is no knocking someone who has the skills to clear =4th all time indoors. As far as his 2.27m goes, stop and look at the heights he has cleared this year (2.40, 2.37, 2.36, 2.35, 2.34 (2), 2.33) and a number ancillary jumps in this range as well. There's bound to be a let-down meet, no?

Clearing 2.40m is a HUGE psychological boost to him as it represents a major metric milestone. IAAF reports that he wants to go after the record again in his next meet.
          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietmar239
            IAAF reports that he wants to go after the record again in his next meet.
            As Jerry Reed used to sing - When You're Hot, You're Hot; When You're Not, You're Not!
            He's hot!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Watched the video (short shelf-life here?). The kid has personality - I like it! Hope he keeps his head on straight, cuz the sport could use him, and he the sport. I wanna know what his off-season work-outs consist of, cuz they're working!
              Per and I agree that probably the biggest boost to him is switching to Olympic champ Klyugin as a coach this year.
              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Very smooth runup. So when was the last time someone not named Sotomayor attempted a WR height in the HJ. It might have been the '80s unless Voronin tried in London.

Comment

any1 notice aswell he aint wearin high jump spikes ?

Comment

He used to be a discus thrower and they do look like the kind you'd use for that.

Comment

Let's not forget this represents only a 1cm pb over his previous best of 2.39m, which was set over two years ago. The only real surprise was that he didn't do it sooner. I hope he takes this form outdoors and pushes Silnov to heights I think he is capable of.

I suspect his fantastic indoor season is directly related to his exploits last season. The drunken HJ videos have been watched over 3 million times on youtube, which is probably not something he wants to be famous for! This guy had something to prove and so far has done so exceptionally well. Bravo Ivan!

Comment

On a side note, any Americans under the illusion that it's only meets on this side of the Atlantic that are struggling to draw crowds should take a look at that video.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
                          On a side note, any Americans under the illusion that it's only meets on this side of the Atlantic that are struggling to draw crowds should take a look at that video.
                          I'm guessing the HJ went on so long that everyone went home. It's not just the stands that are empty, there don't seem to be any officials or other athletes there either.

Comment

Originally posted by highjumpfan
                            Very smooth runup. So when was the last time someone not named Sotomayor attempted a WR height in the HJ. It might have been the '80s unless Voronin tried in London.
                            Indoor answer (not definitive, but probably pretty close):

Conway tried 2.44 at the '91 World Indoor Champs.

Sjöberg tried 2.44 at Genoa in '92

Beyer tried 2.43 (=WR) at Weinheim in '94

Austin tried 2.44 at the '96 USATF.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaican Sensation
                              any1 notice aswell he aint wearin high jump spikes ?
                              I couldn't tell. I hate HJ spikes and tell my athletes not to get them. They are too stiff-soled and 'clunky' IMO. The only benefit is heel spikes, but indoors you don't need them. I have had great success (relative as it is) in jumping in both basketball shoes and even brand-new running trainers (still grippy and have a nice 1" build-up in the back) as long as their sole is firm.

Comment

The closest someone has been to actually clearing 2.44m+ other than Soto would be Sjoberg (89' in NY) and Austin (91' Zurich). Both were very, very close. Austin had 2.45m all but cleared but the bar dislodged as he descended to the pit.

Comment

Working...
                                X