Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by KevinM
    On a side note, any Americans under the illusion that it's only meets on this side of the Atlantic that are struggling to draw crowds should take a look at that video.
    I'm guessing the HJ went on so long that everyone went home. It's not just the stands that are empty, there don't seem to be any officials or other athletes there either.
    Partly true, but the stadium was far from full all the way through.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Originally posted by Jamaican Sensation
      Originally posted by SQUACKEE
      First the 200m record goes.....could the high jump be next? Pole vault? Pretty cool.
      NO because big boys play outside
      There is some evidence that some indoor venues are more conducive to HJing than outdoors. Same is true for PVing. Less so for all the other events - tho SPing is certainly a wash.
      I'm not too sure about SPing. With the plastic/rubberized? cover for the indoor shot, putters who have realative small hands (in the sense of SPers) are able to grip the ball more effictively (eg, G Wood). There are a few other elites with a better indoor than outdoor PR.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
        Originally posted by KevinM
        On a side note, any Americans under the illusion that it's only meets on this side of the Atlantic that are struggling to draw crowds should take a look at that video.
        I'm guessing the HJ went on so long that everyone went home. It's not just the stands that are empty, there don't seem to be any officials or other athletes there either.
        Actually crowd attendance was rather pathetic all night long. I don't think it was promoted at all (or as much as it should) but in addition:

-I don't think it attracts so many big names as before (not sure why not)
        -No too many Greeks compete any more at high level as few years ago
        -it was extremely cold yesterday in Athens (30F) although I was at the meeting in 2006 as well and it was also very low key.
        -They also started at 4:30 and until 6:00 there were only 2 events contested (ladies high jump with just 3 Greek ladies and a very disappointing men's long jump without Greek star Tsatoumas).
        -This arena, although it is spectacular as a building all together and in a magnificent location (right in front of the sea), it is not maintained as it should; It is very dirty outside (can't they just wash it??), most of the entrances are locked, toilets are left dirty, seats have graffiti etc...

I do recall the late 80s when it was full capacity during this international meeting...

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Originally posted by highjumpfan
          Very smooth runup. So when was the last time someone not named Sotomayor attempted a WR height in the HJ. It might have been the '80s unless Voronin tried in London.
          Indoor answer (not definitive, but probably pretty close):

Conway tried 2.44 at the '91 World Indoor Champs.

Sjöberg tried 2.44 at Genoa in '92

Beyer tried 2.43 (=WR) at Weinheim in '94

Austin tried 2.44 at the '96 USATF.

I realize you were just listing indoors, but Austin again outdoors in the Atlanta OG, IIRC (which I might not).

Comment

Originally posted by lefterisp
            -This arena, although it is spectacular as a building all together and in a magnificent location (right in front of the sea), it is not maintained as it should; It is very dirty outside (can't they just wash it??), most of the entrances are locked, toilets are left dirty, seats have graffiti etc...

I do recall the late 80s when it was full capacity during this international meeting...
            It was said to be one of the best arenas around then. The Euro Indoor Championships were held there, and they had other good meets as well. It's unfortunate that it has not been properly maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Originally posted by highjumpfan
              Very smooth runup. So when was the last time someone not named Sotomayor attempted a WR height in the HJ. It might have been the '80s unless Voronin tried in London.
              Indoor answer (not definitive, but probably pretty close):

Conway tried 2.44 at the '91 World Indoor Champs.

Sjöberg tried 2.44 at Genoa in '92

Beyer tried 2.43 (=WR) at Weinheim in '94

Austin tried 2.44 at the '96 USATF.
              Holm tried a few times in '97 and '98:
              http://www.scholm.com/comp2.asp?Comp=183
              http://www.scholm.com/comp2.asp?Comp=211

Comment

Re: Ukhov 2.40 in Athens!!!

Originally posted by Bästefar
                Originally posted by marknhj
                Awesome! Any video online?
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpeNIRK-IG8
                That's wonderful! And I loved his celebrations. He went absolutely crazy. :lol:

Comment

oh my word... I am absolutely shell shocked. That is pure shock and awe. Though the height is very impressive (2.40) it is the absolutely unathletic appearance of the lad Ukhov that puts the senses on edge and grabs ones attention. He looks like one of the kids I see as I drive by (with all car windows up of course) the playground (really a convergence zone for skateboarders). He has at least 1lb of knarly hair drapped over his head. If I looked at Ukhov on the street and I had to give a list of the 1000 possible professions he could earn a living at "track and field" would be somewhere below 800.
                  ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Forgive the obvious here, but Holm's 2.40m remains the only performance of the six at/over this barrier which didn't carry with it a national record.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                      Forgive the obvious here, but Holm's 2.40m remains the only performance of the six at/over this barrier which didn't carry with it a national record.
                      Eric,

Are you talking initial clearances of 2.40m only? Because there have been 11 clearances indoors at that height indoors. Soto cleared it several times for fun and Sjoberg and Thranhardt had an epic battle in Berlin, days after both of them had set the WR. Sjoberg won at 2.40m tying a record that had just been broken days earlier.
                      If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Good catch. What I meant (but didn't quite state) was that Holm's 2.40m lifetime best was the only lifetime best mark which had no NR mark attached to it.

1 2.43 WR Javier Sotomayor CUB 1 WC Budapest
                        2 2.42 NR Carlo Thränhardt FRG 1 Berlin
                        3 2.41 NR Patrik Sjöberg SWE 1 Pireás
                        4 2.40 AR Hollis Conway USA 1 WC Sevilla
                        5 2.40 Stefan Holm SWE 1 EC Madrid
                        6 2.40 NR Ivan Ukhov RUS 1 Athína 2009 Athína

It will be interesting to see who ends their lifetime best mark at 2.40m and/or above and doesn't win.

Comment

Working...
                        X