Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For or against Feet and Inches...

As so many other people - I suppose - I am
    really no used at all to feet or inches.
    They look like Chinese language to me.
    Why not always add meters or centimeters
    conversion in brackets?
    That would be nice for European, African and
    Asian statisticians.

Re: For or against Feet and Inches...

we've done this thread before!

Comment

'As so many other people - I suppose - I am
      really no used at all to feet or inches.
      They look like Chinese language to me.
      Why not always add meters or centimeters
      conversion in brackets?
      That would be nice for European, African and
      Asian statisticians.'

Why not convert everything to cubits?

Comment

Ah, cubits! The Esperanto of useless measurement systems!

Comment

...well, if this thread has been done before,
          please, Garry HILL, you have to ERADICATE IT!!!

Comment

Conversation-inspiring topics are always good, even if repeated somewhat. The bottom line on feet and inches is that that's the language that 90% of our readership speaks, and every metric measure that gets into the magazine is a word that won't get in. Given that we already have too many numbers for most readers, adding more would be suicidal.

But all marks in the weekly results newsletter (e-mailed free of charge to all subscribers) are in both metric and english. (The preceding commercial was brought to you by....)

Comment

speaking of the magazine, the preview of the 1500 in the recent magazine was excellent..

hopefully, more previews similarly will be forthcoming as the year progresses..

other events though

Comment

Gary, what was the deal with the lines they taped down for the Shot at the Millrose? Did they screw up the measurement of the lines or were they 20 and 21m? If that was the case why do that then put up feet and inches results? It was very confusing.

Comment

Was supposed to be 65 and 70ft, but at last minute they changed to 60 and 65 and the word didn't get out.

Comment

I convert metric marks until I'm blue in the face by using 3.28. I would humbly suggest that our metric-thinking friends do the reverse. Here's an example:

71' 5" shot put is 71 feet, 5 inches.

divide 5 by 12 to "decimelize" the inches to a portion of a foot= .417

71.417 feet divided by 3.28 = 21.77 meters

I know it's a pain but it's a pain for us , in reverse, here in the USA. Guess we all just have to Live With It.

Comment

This is how I do it. 71X12=852+5=857(inches)X2.54=21.77
                      With a calculator it's pretty fast. Actually, now they have calculators that convert metric/imperial back and forth.
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>I convert metric marks until I'm blue in the
                        I know it's a pain but it's a pain for us , in
                        >reverse, here in the USA. Guess we all just have to Live With It.

To my mind, I see the US's stubborness to join the rest of the world (well, except for dominating influences Liberia and Myanmar, http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/internat.htm ) as akin to the debate over high school bastardized distances.

The arguements put forth by USAnians wedded to archaic imperial measurements because that's what they've always done and are familiar with, is similar to schools saying the 1600 and 3200 are what we've run for years, we're used to it and we don't care if it makes little sense to the rest of you.

While the analogy obviously isn't perfect, I believe most people here don't think much of the 1600 or 3200 events and converting times run to something that has some meaning will always involve a fudge factor of some kind.

Similarly, the rest of the world often sees a similar mindset with respect to imperial measurements.

Comment

Pego, looks like about 7 or 8 keystrokes any way you do it. Think what is was like in the old days before we had calculators ? I hope they still teach kids how to add, subtract, multiply and divide....

Comment

We should never say never, but IMHO the USA will never make the switch, because we as a people are to independent-thinking, and would not accept forceful government dictates... and the politician/policymakers know that it would be hugely politically unpopular, and as a result will not try to stick it down our throats.

It's sort of like a One Dollar coin. They keep making half-hearted attempts to "sell" them to the public, but do not have the political will to get rid of dollar bills, which is the only way it will work.

Meandering here, but the only way it will ever GET DONE if for each and every State, and/or the Federal Government, to MANDATE that's what is taught from Kindergarten on up, then and only then would industry be forced to follow along. To repeat it will never happen, for better or worse. So relax and live with it.

Comment

Did Liberia and Mynamar (nee Burma) go back to imperial measurement? Back in the old days, it was US, Brunei and one of the Yemens. The Yemani swiched to metric on unification. Don't know about Brunei, but I suppose the sultan can use cubits, should he choose.

Comment

Working...
                              X