X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    We have a female vaulter and a male high jumper who are sneaking up the food chain. Petra Olsen has broken our national vault record on numerous occasions this past year.
    Who would have ever thought that the best Swedish male vaulter would be black and best female vaulter Asian?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Henry
    replied
    Re: Future Stars of Track and Field

Originally posted by ralmcg
    Who are the stars of track and field of the future? Who is the next Usain Bolt? Who is the next Yelena Isinbayeva?

Speaking of the next Isinbayeva my choice for a future star is pole vaulter Valeriya Volik of Russia. At 19 years old Volik vaulted 4.50 m. which is favorable compared to Isinbayeva's 4.45 m. at that age.
    NO!! These are the it's current, I would look at the Padget's, the Blakes et al.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by paulthefan
    Originally posted by doug091463
    ....my picks for usa future stars would be jeff demps if he quits football to concentrate on track, which is very unlikely. ..
    If you watched the pre BCS championship game buildup there were a few short clips of Demps in interviews. He came across very very well. Praising his teammates in every category even their speed though he, Demps, was clearly the fastest. Hearing that from a 19 year old was refreshing. I could be wrong (these things could be completely scripted) but my guess is that this kid has all the attributes to be great on the track AND the football field.

Others worth following are a certain QB/400mH guy from Baylor and a 400mHer from the state of Washington. Wow!
    IMHO, Demps has a lot bigger upside in track than football. I suspect another Michael Bennett, at the best.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by croflash
    Why and how does luck play a big role in that ?
    For starters, the good luck of not being injury prone, or the bad luck of getting shot when leaving a restaurant, such as happened to Bryshon Nellum last year.

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    ....my picks for usa future stars would be jeff demps if he quits football to concentrate on track, which is very unlikely. ..
    If you watched the pre BCS championship game buildup there were a few short clips of Demps in interviews. He came across very very well. Praising his teammates in every category even their speed though he, Demps, was clearly the fastest. Hearing that from a 19 year old was refreshing. I could be wrong (these things could be completely scripted) but my guess is that this kid has all the attributes to be great on the track AND the football field.

Others worth following are a certain QB/400mH guy from Baylor and a 400mHer from the state of Washington. Wow!

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    We have a female vaulter and a male high jumper who are sneaking up the food chain. Petra Olsen has broken our national vault record on numerous occasions this past year. Our other athlete on the rise to stardom, Fredrick Ekholm, is a 14-year-old who has jumped 1.93m - a mark which is ahead of Sjöberg and Holm at the same age. Emma Rienas, a lesser-known name to most of you, is also quickly making a name for herself this indoor season. She just qualified for Euro Indoors with a 7,37 in the 60m dash in today's semi-finals at our national indoor championships.

Leave a comment:

• croflash
    replied
    the age group phenoms rarely pan out particularly in distance running, the one certainty is the stars keep coming. my picks for usa future stars would be jeff demps if he quits football to concentrate on track, which is very unlikely. bianca knight could emerge, these 2 are already known, but i would not call them stars yet.
    the up and comers need good coaching development, a burning desire to work hard for about a decade AND a ton of genetic talent, also luck plays a big role.
    there is a kid who has usain bolt like potential, i think the kids name is kiana james he has run outstanding age group times, for the girls robin reynolds 53 for 400 in 7th grade, while winning the 100, 200, 400 and 800 at age nationals aa few years in a row. still the odds are against them, examples william reed, obea moore, polly plummer carrie garritson, michael granville etc. it is always great though when someone beats the odds.
    Why and how does luck play a big role in that ?

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied
    Dailenis Alcantara, hopefully. She's only 17 but has been jumping over 14m in the triple jump since 2007. The triple jump is her speciality but she's a rather useful long jumper too.

Leave a comment:

• doug091463
    replied
    the age group phenoms rarely pan out particularly in distance running, the one certainty is the stars keep coming. my picks for usa future stars would be jeff demps if he quits football to concentrate on track, which is very unlikely. bianca knight could emerge, these 2 are already known, but i would not call them stars yet.
    the up and comers need good coaching development, a burning desire to work hard for about a decade AND a ton of genetic talent, also luck plays a big role.
    there is a kid who has usain bolt like potential, i think the kids name is kiana james he has run outstanding age group times, for the girls robin reynolds 53 for 400 in 7th grade, while winning the 100, 200, 400 and 800 at age nationals aa few years in a row. still the odds are against them, examples william reed, obea moore, polly plummer carrie garritson, michael granville etc. it is always great though when someone beats the odds.

Leave a comment:

• ralmcg
    started a topic Future Stars of Track and Field

Future Stars of Track and Field

Who are the stars of track and field of the future? Who is the next Usain Bolt? Who is the next Yelena Isinbayeva?

Speaking of the next Isinbayeva my choice for a future star is pole vaulter Valeriya Volik of Russia. At 19 years old Volik vaulted 4.50 m. which is favorable compared to Isinbayeva's 4.45 m. at that age.
Working...
X