http://www.worldathleticstourmelbourne.com.au/

Start lists are now up.

Few entries of note:
    Andrew Baddeley over 5000m (also new wunderkind Ryan Gregson),
    Xavier Carter over 200m
    Asafa over 100m
    Nick Willis vs Yusuf Saad Kamel over 1500m
    McLellan doing hurdles/100m double again
    Another top Women's discus thrower added - China's Aimin Song (4th in Beijing)...

And a stroy on young Aussie miler's brushes with recent fires: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 22,00.html

Comment

Re: Melbourne Track Classic

Originally posted by AS
      (also new wunderkind Ryan Gregson),
      Yeah I kinda wonder too....

Be interesting to see how he backs up. A big PB you'd reckon and the same for the curent U20 3000m record-holder Richard Everest. Could either get close to the 13-25 Aussie junior record of the late Mizan Mehari?? No way you'd put much money on it, but they are both faster than Buster Mottram at the same age.... Speaking of Buster, will Team Bideau's Collis Birmingham take a significant step up on Thursday night? I reckon he will. 13-15 or better?

Plus Tamsyn (she's anticipating sub-51???) and Melaine Walker (about 51.5 speed you'd reckon from Sydney hitout) another interesting clash. Kiwi Monique Williams could even take the NZ record (51.6) after her out of the blue 22.98 200 last week. Back a bit, I'm hoping Pirenee Steinert can get down to about 52.5 in this.

Though AS has (rightly) stirred the Men's LJ field on this board for not producing in the past, this one could be a highlight. If Bronwyn Thompson conditions are around, five or more over 8m?? Watt, Lapierre, Thornell and Frayne are already thereabouts this season.

400H for men also a potential cracker. Tristan Thomas on the up vs (a no doubt improving) Jackson. Richter (around 50.5 in Perth interclub last weekend) and Cole also in decent shape. And then there's the Rawlinson comeback to factor in.

PS - What's happened to LJ Van Zyl btw? Injury?? Shame after he seemed in great form with his flat PB a few weeks back.

Plenty of other events too

Comment

Anyone know who coaches Gregson?

Comment

Ian Hatfield, I presume.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
            Ian Hatfield, I presume.
            Correct... for now... but I'm sure Bideau is sniffing around :?

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort
              Though AS has (rightly) stirred the Men's LJ field on this board for not producing in the past, this one could be a highlight. If Bronwyn Thompson conditions are around, five or more over 8m?? Watt, Lapierre, Thornell and Frayne are already thereabouts this season.
              Wow, you have a long memory.

Given the current weather forecast (cold and windy) i won't be surprised to see 4m+ winds at the LJers backs... which could one or two sneak over 8m

Comment

Really interested to see how Andy Baddeley will do in the 5000m.

Reckon he could easily get sub 13.30 depending on how long back from altitude training he is.
                Has shown he can perform well on the cross country before so has good range.

Baddeley, Mo Farah, McCormick and Overall, perhaps Lemoncello could really post some good times for mens 5000m this season, British distance running could use it.
                Reckon things are defo on the up though with changes that have been made.

As regards the meet should be good.

One name i saw though Monique Williams have to admit have never heard of her before but saw she broke NZ record. Anyone know whats her main focus 200m or 400m ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kai88
                  One name i saw though Monique Williams have to admit have never heard of her before but saw she broke NZ record. Anyone know whats her main focus 200m or 400m ?
                  She ran 800m at World Youths in 2001 (at age 15), then did 2/4 double at 2004.

200m is usually refered to as her pet event, and she now has A-Qual for WC at that distance.

She still has a way to go to achieve 400m mark of 51.5, as her PR is 52.74. She has ran new PRS for 100m and 200m already this year, so an improvement may well be on the cards...

Comment

Big call I guess for Monique to break 51.60 but - with a 0.5 PB improvement over 200m - not out of the question (esp with some decent comp ahead of her). Always thought her 400 PB should have been better than 52.7 but that 22.9 last week was a bit of a shock. I reckon a sub 52.0 tomorrow night (weather permitting) would not be out of the question. Kim Robertson was probably only a 52.5 runner at best until she produced that 51.6 twenty years or so ago.

Shame about the weather forecasts. Hope it's not as bad as Melbourne weather can get tomorrow (ie 4 seasons within an hour). Wish I coulda been there and still thinking about it

PS - And yeah AS - I have a Loooooooooong memory - just wish it was always 100% accurate ops:

Comment

PS - What's happened to LJ Van Zyl btw? Injury??
                      Any news???

Comment

Van Zyl hit by the flu. Bookmark this site for relevant news on each discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                          Van Zyl hit by the flu. Bookmark this site for relevant news on each discipline.
                          Thanks EP - spose not as bad as Nick Willis' injury* - but end result still the same

PS - Jana (and others) not included in the event top 6 or 7??

* ouch - I''m sounding like a Kiwi...

Comment

Compiled list from Tilastopaja's 2008 season-ending top-14.

Comment

Shame about the weather forecasts. Hope it's not as bad as Melbourne weather can get tomorrow (ie 4 seasons within an hour). Wish I coulda been there and still thinking about it
                              Weather aint great today. Has been raining and winds look like they are here all day. Won't be more than about 18 degrees by race time...

Lower your expectations everyone :cry:

Comment

Working...
                              X